Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

i'm looking into my first kayak just looking for some suggestions.want something affordable as well as roomy I'm 6'3" 250lbs

Views: 1366

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tubers can testify that you get locked into position like a yak. Yes, you move your legs, but only from the quads down. With tube during the summer, wader can be uncomfortable. Need to pee..well, better be close to land or you'll have fun with a full leg of urine. If you go waderless, wet and pruny skin will be your worst enemy when you get back on land. That's why I got the pontoon. Combine the best of both worlds, minus the pain in hauling the heavy equipment around.

Thanks for the input Leo I seem to of forgotten about the peeing part since it seems like I go every hour or so.

Dick, My tube is like fishing in an easy chair!!!! The beauty of tubes in the summer is you can go anytime you want to!!!!!! That my FRIENDS IS RELAXED FISHING!!!!!!!!!!

Greg it wouldn't take much to talk me into it so maybe you need not temp me or I'll have to tell Linda on you.

I agree. Sitting in a tube is like sitting in a chair with your rear-end awash and your feet dangling in the water from the knees down.  Your legs don't get stiff because they are floating when you're not kicking and are being exercised when you are.

I'm also thinking bout the square back canoe I looked at as an option too I already have two johnboats but always could use another vessel the yak and canoe will provide more stealth and I can get to more unaccessible areas
Canoe is truly bulky for quicky mobility. If you want stealth and accessibility, go crazy with the high end yak, with the pedaling fins to increase mobility and pure stealth. The upgrade also allow you to have secondary pontoon extension and standing platform for full upright search and destroy missions.
Sweet dang it now i'll have to spend more federal reserve notes what a shame
Call it economic stimulation.

Call it doing your part to aid in the economy. 

i've seen those standup jobs too seems like a pretty interesting deal a sight casting platform par excellence

Leo is right, affordable needs to be defined. I was looking at a paddle-powered fishing boat myself, last season. It didn't happen, but if I could buy one tomorrow at any price, it would be the 12' Nu-Canoe. But notice I said, "at any price" - the NuCanoe is not a budget boat, per se. What I found, though, was that the $500 mark seems to be where well thought out and value priced start meeting up.

Much has to do with the waters you will fish. In tight, swampy backwaters, oxbow lakes and so on, 10' long is okay. But, I'm your size, myself, and something around 12 foot/30 inches wide is where my thoughts ended up. Someone your size needs a compromise between length and width. Here's why.

Sometimes you WILL be out in the back boonies. One of the great things about a fishing paddler is it can get you into places you might not otherwise be able to access. But sometimes you will be out in bigger waters and, well... feces occurs when you least expect it. Short, portly boats don't fare well when the wind and water gets up. A compromise is needed if the boat is to be as versatile as you will want. 12 foot is the tipping point between tracking/stability and maneuverability for us big guys.

This is because longer boats track better and are more comfy when the water gets bumpy, even if they don't turn on a dime. At the same time, width equals lateral stability in a craft that is "tippy" by most standards. This is kayaking in name only, by the way. Today's fishing kayaks are small, purpose-built OPEN boats. The image of decked and booted white-water shells is way off base. For most fishermen, angling "kayaks" are unlike anything they are used to. This is why stability should be your top selection criteria. 

As for features, look for:

- Sturdy, comfortable seats

- Rod holders

- Battery space

- Gadget space (at-hand tackle, fish finders, GPS, compasses, etc.)

- Useful stowage

- Seaworthy fitment (scuttle drains, tie offs, anchor appointments, etc.) 

All thus stuff gains importance to the angler about 20 minutes after shoving off from land. As it happens, features like these appear in sufficient number in the mid price range. You can get by on less, and there are fishing yaks at the bottom end, for sure. But you are likely to enjoy the experience more and feel the need to upgrade less, if you start around the $500 price point.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

End of April Lures

"Killer color Stick worm for overcast conditions. Black/Gold Fleck 5" "
1 minute ago
Thumbnail

aprilbass

"You bet Jeff!"
15 minutes ago
Thumbnail

aprilperch13.5

"Tracy, not sure. This could be a later Perch spawner but not sure if 62–64-degree Water Temp,…"
16 minutes ago
tracy willis commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

aprilbass2

"healthy looking LMB!!"
2 hours ago
tracy willis commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

aprilperch13.5

"very cool.  are those spawning colors on that fish?  the fewni catch are never that dark."
3 hours ago
Thumbnail

aprilbass2

"Thanks Jeff! Good action yesterday."
17 hours ago
Thumbnail

aprilperch13.5

"For certain, Jeff!"
17 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

aprilperch13.5

"Nice perch….."
17 hours ago
Thumbnail

aprilbass2

"Nice Predators John and Greg!"
17 hours ago
Thumbnail

aprilbass

"Largemouth party….."
17 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

late April Bully

"That's a whippy 4 piece Eagle Claw rod I used there .6'6""
Tuesday
Thumbnail

late April Bully

"You bet Jeff !They swim around pretty quickly then start rollin'.Feisty characters."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

late April Bully

"Got on the bullies…….they’re fun to catch on panfish gear John…."
Monday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

Mixed bag!

"Panfish blitz….l"
Monday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Troy Dorman's photo