Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Has anyone used this cool-looking device for removing hooks?  Looks great. See the video at:

www.breambugs.com/index.php?_a=category&cat_id=80

Views: 8190

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sharon,Tony and Dwayne

Thanks for your replies. First to Sharon---It is not necessary to see the hook bend, the tip will take care of centering on the bend. You only need to tell the top of the popper from the under side. Slide the tool in under the belly of the lure and the tip will center and engage the hook. Push in and up away from the hook point and the hook will "POP" out and you can remove the fly. You don't need to rotate the tool in any of the panfish as ther mouth is narrow enough to stop the lue from pushing up. It takes several sentences to explain but in action only seconds to work. The tip ends are rounded and in the wet fishes mouth don't cause any harm. It will take a few fish to "learn" how to master the tool but then a life time of ease removing poppers and such.

Tony---THANKS for your post..You are correct about the "gut" hooked fish. I haven't found any device that will remove this type of hook set in a small fish such as any of the panfish family no matter the size. Normally poppers and panfish flies don't get swallowed that deep. I did see yesterday a 9" gill that inhailed a #8 popper to were I could only see the top of the head and was able to remove it with ease. As I am sure you have seen the gill doesn't have a gullet opening as other fish that closes up after eating which allows this tool to work even better on them because it won't normally re-engage. I would add that a major advantage to the unHOOKum tool over the hemostat is that it doesn't damage the fly at all which allows you to catch many more fish on the same lure $$ saved.

Dwayne---Thanks for yor reply--- Keep using the tool! I am sure after a while you will understand just how useful it is.

Thanks to ALL,

Terry

Dwayne-

The tool for hooks you can see and hooks that you can't see (hooks nearly coming out the rear end of the fish is this: 

http://chicagofishingschool.com/?page_id=143

I'll do an instruction video this weekend showing hooks that are really down deep. Lures don't tend to get swallowed that deeply as they are bigger and heavier with a lot to grab onto - hooks do go down deep at times.

These are a lot more economical too as you can get two floats, two hook removers shipped for just under $10.

The way I put it- I can't go fishing without this tool. The only fish this has trouble with and all hook removers do is the stunted small bluegill where the tool won't fit down its mouth. Besides that fish - this tool slides down the line onto the hook and then shields the hook on the way up out of the fish's mouth. Unless the hook is coming out the rear end- you get 98% of your fish unhooked and released without impact. No need to look down the fish's mouth either so you don't have to see the hook to use this tool. Lastly on light lines you don't want to use metal to dig around on your leader as this will fray the line and you will lose fish - nylon is much safer.

Johnny,

I understand were you are comming from. The unHOOKum tool was designed around artifical flies (poppers, dry flies, spiders, streamers and such) that are normally used on the fly rod. There are tools that will remove single hooks (used with bait) that are taken deeply however these tools will not slide over the lures mentioned for removel. This tool was designed with the idea that (1) hemostats reduce lure life dramaticly while this tool extends lure life saving $$.. Flies that are made of foam are almost impossible to remove with a plier type tool without damage to the lure.(2) The unHOOKum is fast as well as very easy on the fish and allows you to return unwanted fish in excellant condition. I think that everyone should be able to fish their favorite fly untill the fish tear it up and not tore up by the tool!

Good fishing to all,

Terry

Thanks Johnny, cannot wait to see video.
Have found this thing needs practice and even a third hand would be useful at times. Like I said, practice.  Right now the jury is still out for me as to useability and is it worth the price. In fairness I haven't been able to give it a really good shake-down cruise. "Catching" has been poor for months. However, I do plan to use it more and will report back.
I went to BreamBugs and watched the video,,Great little gadget...I think I will have one..Thanks Jeff  <(((((<

Hi Jeff… I just purchased one of these… The Biggest asset appears to be the ease of removing the hook… (WITHOUT DAMAGING YOUR JIG) As you know I tie a lot of jigs with Rubber skirts plus a lot of Foam Hoppers, and the biggest problem with using Hemostats (Forceps) is they can really tear up your rubber skirts and Foam. I spend hours tying these jigs and anything that helps keep them in good shape is a 'Must' for me. Just my ten cents worth.

Happy New year Mate

Hope to see You on the Water… getting my new gear together for the Spring Red-ear bite.

Regards to the Family...

Rob

I got one, and tossed it. I rather use my makeshift Bic pend body to remove hooks. Like Tony, I use my hemotstat.

I purchased one last year, I like it but took a bit of time to get use to it. It removes hooks and saves your hackle and popper heads. Can even take those deep hook sets out. I like it  

I have to say I'm half interested in the product and even more so because Terry got on here to defend his product.  If I didn't have a product I already like I would certainly be all over this.

RSS

Latest Activity

dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Goldfish jigs.

"Thanks John."
10 hours ago
Thumbnail

Goldfish jigs.

"I hope they work. I do have a couple of other colors which I'll post later. Thanks Jeffrey."
10 hours ago
10 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a photo

The Importance of Steady Water Levels During the Spawn….3/18/2024

This caught my eye at lunch this morning, one of my local rivers has remained at a steady level for…
10 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Goldfish jigs.

"Very creative mind coupled with excellent craftsmanship…..these are fish catchers Dick!"
13 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Goldfish jigs.

"Excellent work, Dick!"
14 hours ago
dick tabbert posted a photo

Goldfish jigs.

My new tie. Made out of a 1/16oz jig with a #4 hook.
17 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

Joe Got a Birthday Present at 8:55……3/17/2024

"Major League Fishing Bass Pro Tour has a tournament on the Albemarle the first week of June…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

"These are Joe’s two biggest largemouth bass and I was the only person there for…"
yesterday
yesterday
Thumbnail

Son-In-Law's Personal Best Largemouth......6.5 Pounds.......5/12/2020

"This was Joe’s previous personal best largemouth…..although it may appear larger it…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

"Very shallow John….right where we were catching good crappie numbers…this is only…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

"He was tickled…..he caught her at 9:00 this morning on an undercut…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

Kept a Dozen Fryers…..3/17/2024

"Thanks Slip….this is perfect….mostly smaller males to scale and filet…..I can…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

Joe’s First Bite This Morning……3/17/2024

"Thanks Slip…..this brackish water has such a great food supply so all of these fish are very…"
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's status
"Thanks Slip…….it was one of those spring trips you hope for……this was…"
yesterday
Slip Sinker commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's status
"sounds like a great birthday!"
yesterday
Slip Sinker commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
yesterday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service