Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Okay brothers and Sisters, I need some help. I have long been a devotee of the short, ultralight rods - say 5' maximum length. I'm going to try a longer rod this Spring, nearly 7', ultralight fast action, as I'm going for casting distance with negligible weight.

I'm looking for a reel that will handle at the heaviest, 4lb mono or braid,  and has excellent long distance ability, especially with very little weight. I'm just afraid that a traditional ultralight reel, with its diminutive spool, will not serve me well in this regard.

I've been researching long spool reels, and the newer mag spool reels, both of which tout their respective abilities at long distance casting, but have no experience with either one.

Does anyone use these type of reels, or have any suggestions?

Views: 2104

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

great reels for the money. IMO they are very smooth and well built

Yep. I now own three for the past 2 years.

Pro: Nothing but smoothness on the cast. No snag during high drag. Older cheaper reels, major snags and line snapped, even with large amount of maintenance. Shimano reels among my arsenal were the only ones to go the distant without that issue..other than that, fly rod ;)

Con: more expensive than the Browning, Quantum and Pinnacle. Same smoothness as them, but cost more. Durability, the same. Bailer tend to get stuck during your attempt to open it if the revolution does not fully rotate to a certain slot within the revolution. It's a safety anti-seize feature that can be an annoyance at time. But it's a good feature no less. Not enough spool sizes for the same model. Unlike Quantum and Shimano, you can actually replace the smaller spool sizes for the larger one for the same reels. I have three different spools for each reel, loaded with 2lbs (jigging/float), 5lbs (hunting cats and carps), and 10lbs (casting purposes). Love the Pflueger. Very reasonable price for the combos.

Yes Bobby. For the money it is a good quality reel. Its a very smooth running reel with an excellent drag system. It's not that I like them but I changed over all my reels to Pfluegers.  The first was a Trion that's the cheaper one in the Pfluegers line up with 7 bearings but worked great for me. For the money spent I think they are nice reel not that I like Pfluegers. Im\'m now using the Pflueger Presidents ten bearing system again very nice reel a little more money but worth it. I did bring myself up to buying a Pflueger Suprem and again it's a very nice reel. What ever you buy go to Bass Pro or Cabelas take them off the rack and spin them handles. Now this year Pflueger has a new reel with a larger spool. Don't know if Bass pro or Cabelas have then in the stores yet. The advantage to the big spool is longer cast might be something to think about. Hope this helps you not that I like them. GOOD FISHIN..

i want to get my boys a ne
w reel that will last longer and be a little more compact than the 33 classics or smaller zebcos they've been using

Just my experience, but I would stay away from the Pflueger spincast reels.  I bought their premium reel (can't remember the model) on the recommendation of the guy behind the reel counter at Bass Pro (which, unfortunately, these days some of them know a little bit, and some know less than most of us knew the second day we ever fished), last year for a Christmas present, and before the summer was over it had completely come apart, as in literally just fell apart - complete junk.  In my experience the only reliable spincast reel is Diawa's Goldcast series - a much smoother drag than any other spincast, and just generally a more durable and reliable reel.  I don't use spincast personally, but have a couple family members who do, and after the Pflueger debacle I've resigned it will be Goldcast only from here on out when I get someone a spincast. 

i had a similar proplem with  BPS concerning a  reel they referred to me when they "couldnt fix" a reel i sent them to their repairs dept. never ordered from them again .I had them send me back the reel they didnt return that "couldnt be fixed "and I sent them back the reel that was falling apart when I tried it for the first time in the yard before taking it to the lake . This was in the late 90's after being totally happy ordering from them since the mid or late 80's.

i think the pfluegers will be the best route to go

Not that I'm parcel to pfluegers but you know I am when you purchase one don't buy one in that plastic junk go to the counter and get one from a box, open the box and see how smooth the reel runs when you turn the handle. when done turn the line spool and see if it's turns free and smooth not jerky.

interesting slip of the tounge Dick(Parcel instead of Partial)

Sorry John I'll try to do better on my spelling. 

how bout the zebco omega have any experience with them walt
i just want something that holds up.better for my younguns

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz

"Beauties Troy!"
yesterday
Troy Dorman posted a photo
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz shellcracker

"Great cracker daily double! Congrats Troy….."
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Saturday
Troy Dorman posted a photo
Friday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"This year my old Rattle Traps have been catching again in the 3",1/2 oz, and 3,5",3/4oz…"
Friday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"The Rattle Traps over the windy flats have called Fish up and done well. 2 mid sized and two…"
Thursday
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far.  "
Thursday
Thursday
Thursday
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far. "
Thursday
John Sheehan posted photos
Thursday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Tracy."
Thursday
tracy willis commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Wednesday
tracy willis commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"toad!!"
Wednesday
dick tabbert posted a photo

Big rubber soider

Prototype of a big rubber spider 3x3" with a #4 2xl hook.
Wednesday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

Vince with two nice ones

"Thanks, Jeff! Yes, he's soon to be 16!"
Apr 16
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"Ah! That's the Mustache!"
Apr 16
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"This is the one I caught the perch on. Mushtache Minnow."
Apr 16
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"John, it's a mess but as soon as the mustache minnow gets wet it takes on the looks of a…"
Apr 16

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service