Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

I just saw this on youtube.  I'll have to keep an eye out for black walnuts now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZutYfFwm8M&feature=related

Views: 2882

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ok... Tell me more... U just hook up to battery and put the electrodes in the ground ? How large an area will it work ?

There was another video on youtube where a gent connected a lamp cord to an old, long, screwdriver with a wooden handle.  Electrical tape where the positive wire (I think) wire connected to the shaft of the screwdriver.  He plugged it into an outlet, and stuck the screwdriver into the ground.  Worms came boiling out of the dirt.

Wow... that sounds like a great way to test the integrity of your home's circuit breakers, while possibly getting to know your local EMT's at the same time....

Seriously though, I used to see commercial units for sale that used electricity to encourage the worms to surface. No idea of the in's and out's of the device, haven't seen one in some time.

I know right Tony? I wouldn't do that in this old house....

That's why I haven't decided to try this one.  I don't feel like buying a Darwin Award.

Yep, just have the positive on one 3ft metallic rod (steel is best), and negative on the other. If the ground is already moist, no need to induce water. If the ground dry, add a gallon of water to ever two square feet of soil. Let the water soak in completely. I normally use a nice 5gal bucket, pour all over the soil, and sit back, relax, enjoy a sandwich for about 10 minutes, and go to town. Push the electrode in, and if the area is loaded with worms, they'll jump right out. The effective area is based on how much juice you have in your 12V battery, and how much AMP-HR that battery can push out. High AMP-HR will pretty much fry the poor thing. I mod my old wire with rheostat to regulate the current between 700mA to max of 2A. The effective diameter is 4ft. 5A will yield a whopping 10ft.

thanks... I may just give this a try !

Leo! I should've known you would have this device! So was this your preferred method of calling worms to the surface, back in the days before raising your own?

Did anyone other than myself ever see the episode of "Dirty Jobs", where Mike Rowe called up the worms with, I think, some type of vibrating stick?

It beats the smell of burning hair!

"Banjo stick" - some great stuff on your tube about that.

LOL..yep..Played with the electrodes since I was 6. Didn't incorporate the rheostat until later in highschool. I didn't know about Dirty Jobs as I have used it, then saw the show, and discovered quite a few YouTube segments as well on the worm culling. But since high school, I switched from culling the worms, put them in my compost bins, and went to town ever since.

I haven't fished with worms in a long time, but as a kid they were all I had available so neccesity being the mother of invention and all, I learned to turn over the somewhat drier "cow patties" and find them that way. At least until the ground got as hard as concrete in late Summer.

I remember reading something like this when I was a kid except they smashed up the green hulls & maybe dried them, the article read the walnut hulls depleted the oxygen in the water & fish would roll up to the surface for the taking.

Alaway wanted to try it but never got around to it, mostly outta curiousity.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
9 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
9 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
10 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
10 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
10 hours ago
10 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
Tuesday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service