Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Ok I'm in need of a ruling, and I figured what better place to turn than the pro's here at BBG :).

Ok so what counts as caught? I've heard many rules about this over the years such as, it's counts when you get a clear enough view to identify the fish, it counts if you've had it on your line for x amount of time, it counts if you touch the leader, it doesn't count till it touches the bank or it's in your hand, etc. etc. I want to know what y'all count as caught. And yes I am looking for some sort of justification for the fish I hooked but didn't quite get all the way in today lol

Views: 900

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

heh heh

Nice one Lord of the fly Rod and cute I may have to use that one, one day if I remember it- that's another story.

That's great stuff there, Don't care who you are ...gitter done...LOL

If somebody wanted to say that I didn't catch a fish because I purposely allowed it to swim free by not handling it, then I'm perfectly OK with that. :-)  Like I said, I've had days where I released fish by grabbing the lure with a hemostat right in front of my waders, and did this dozens of times.  If somebody told me I wasn't catching fish, I'd say, "Good, then I'm sure you don't want to fish here!"  LOL

yeah!

Bruce lots of people use hemostats and pliers to release fish most because they don't want to remove the protective slime that's on the fish and then you have people like my wife who just don't want to touch a slimy fish. Fact is you were actually in control of the fish's destiny you had the option either release it or keep it so you caught the fish in that circumstance.

Hemostat?! The last time I used that was back during biomed studies doing some suturing. You guys actually use hemostats? Wow. And I thought using a basic BIC pen rigged to remove hooks quickly for small mouth gill was crazy.

Sure do! I even have two :-)

How does the Bic pen rig work?

Take a small BIC pen that has the smallest body, cut the body a straight line from top to bottom using a rotor tool with a diamond circular blade. The slit will allow the line to slide in. The pointy hollow end will engage the hook, hiding the hook's sank and 80% of the hook's curvature. Just a quick jolt down on the fish and the fish get disengaged from the hook. It works best with the barbless hooks.

different strokes for different folks.... that makes the world go around..

everyone has different views on a caught fish

but i think dick hit it on the head.. if you have control of the fish..

OK, I'll be serious for just a minute......If you catch a Galiath grouper you are not allowed to take him from the water, so measurements have to be made in the water, then he is released. This is concidered a catch, you have control of that fish until you are ready for his release. Trout have a fine membrane which protects them from desease, if you handle him too much you will damage that membrane and the fish after a while will die, so releasing him with hemostats or other devises would be the best thing to do to keep the fish healthy. your release may vary but you have control of that fish..If you have a fish on and you are not in complete control and it breaks off or flops around and comes off you don't have that control and you can only guess size and weight and as you guys know when we guess that fish grows tremendously in about a week, so if you can control , weigh, measure and ask it to supper, it's a caught fish ...HA HA LOLRITF

If you have a goliath grouper flopping near your boat, I don't think you'll have the strength to haul it in or even the means to get it to shore in order to handle it. Cut it free, but need that special record to prevent the "fish of a tale" issue..you know what I mean? LOL I've seen a sexy woman from a video hauling in a goliath grouper, and she nearly lost her gears  and bikini set pulling that thing in. She ended up release it because the fish was too big to be hauled up by two people for the "fish in hands" shots. Well, they got the evident for the fish, including the release..so..they caught it. Would be better if she lost it along with everything else..priceless moment ROFL..oooo..sorry. I'm bad.

RSS

Latest Activity

dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks to everyone."
19 hours ago
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Jim."
19 hours ago
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Black Beetle

"NICE LOOKING BUG DICK........."
20 hours ago
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz

"WOW NICE ONES BUDDY......."
20 hours ago
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"NICE PERCH BUDDY......"
20 hours ago
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"You bet Jim! I thought that was cool too!  "
20 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"Welcome Jim Cosgrove! Hope you enjoy the group !"
21 hours ago
jim cosgrove commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Your pond Dick?Nice fish."
22 hours ago
jim cosgrove joined John Sheehan's group
22 hours ago
jim cosgrove replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"Thanks for sharing John.Especially how he came up with the name."
22 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz

"Beauties Troy!"
Sunday
Troy Dorman posted a photo
Sunday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz shellcracker

"Great cracker daily double! Congrats Troy….."
Sunday
dick tabbert commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Saturday
Troy Dorman posted a photo
Friday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"This year my old Rattle Traps have been catching again in the 3",1/2 oz, and 3,5",3/4oz…"
Apr 19
"The Rattle Traps over the windy flats have called Fish up and done well. 2 mid sized and two…"
Apr 18
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far.  "
Apr 18
Apr 18
Apr 18

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service