Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

i have been using a small mitchell reel and a ultra light berkley tactix rod.. like many of you i have many poles but i allways pick this one for some reason.. i have alot more expensive setups but they are collecting dust. ( st croix-allstar)

Views: 3384

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Id add that the thin waggler/pencil/quill bobbers can take some bit of finesse to cast. At least in my experience. They don't fly like a bullet at all.

So true..so true. That's why you use it with the fly fishing gear. You use the line's weight to cast that rig. If you're using the open reel, it's more of the chuck and toss near the boat/float/pier as vertical jigging method near the weed line or tules.

and if your like me, they are hard to see

ROFL I'm already there. I'm a four-eye. Without my glasses or contact, I can't see at all, let alone see any type of shadow of the bobber 5 ft in front of me.

Leo, mine are getting so bad,even with glasses, that some of the light line I use I have to tie at home under a big lighted magnify glass

I always paint the tips of my wagglers white - and then bright orange. Then I can see them better.

I'm a four-eye, too. In the video posted earlier in this topic, there's a great explanation of weighting the quills with just enough shot to almost sink them (using a clear vase as the test pond), then marking the water line with a sharpie and writing on the quill how much weight it needs. Then you paint the part above the water line orange. Make allowance for the weight of the bait, too.

I prefer that about 35-40% of the quill stick out of the water, that way they are easier to see and and you can see any action or twitch  ,or change of the angle of the tip when the fish are licking on your bait. Another tip if you are going to be using a quill is replace the cheap little rubberbands with a O-RING, they hold better. Quills can also be used as depth finders , if they never stand up vertical you know that your bait is on the bottom , not floating above the bottom.      LOFR

@ Lord - with this much sticking above the water, you have what our British friends might call a balanced waggler, as opposed to a stick float. I like the idea of an oring, too. Much more rigid.

As for its use as a depth finder - too funny!

Well it's not really a depth finder but if you have more line below the quill than the depth of the water the quill will always stay on it's side floating on the water and never float vertical, to adjust the depth , just slide the quill on the leader, the o--ring will keep it in place.   LOFR

If yall would like to see a review of this quill technique, I sent a couple of quills to Boogieman to try out ,  Look at his photo's  and blog post of Sept 24 , 2010 . LOFR

I do good to see the water hAhA...thats why I need the slightly larger flourecent colored weighted water splashing cricket sinking floats set at around 4 ft deep this seems to wake those little buggers up and make them eat something. I really don't want to fool around with those hard to get, finickey Bluegill. I want them PIGGYS. If I catch any more than what I catch I'm going to get fined anyway.LOLRITFLMAO..PS: I also like the bober stops floats for the middle of summer when they go deep. These have been hard to figure out but with a little help from the depth finder and some super glue you can sure nail them little cricket snatchers

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"Shad Rap collection. My first three Walleyes were caught on the small sized back in the 80's.…"
7 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"More classic end of April Baits .Water temp got to 62-64 and the Stick worm worked a charm on Good…"
7 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

End of April Lures

"Killer color Stick worm for overcast conditions. Black/Gold Fleck 5" "
8 hours ago
Thumbnail

aprilbass

"You bet Jeff!"
8 hours ago
Thumbnail

aprilperch13.5

"Tracy, not sure. This could be a later Perch spawner but not sure if 62–64-degree Water Temp,…"
8 hours ago
tracy willis commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

aprilbass2

"healthy looking LMB!!"
11 hours ago
tracy willis commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

aprilperch13.5

"very cool.  are those spawning colors on that fish?  the fewni catch are never that dark."
11 hours ago
Thumbnail

aprilbass2

"Thanks Jeff! Good action yesterday."
yesterday
Thumbnail

aprilperch13.5

"For certain, Jeff!"
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

aprilperch13.5

"Nice perch….."
yesterday
Thumbnail

aprilbass2

"Nice Predators John and Greg!"
yesterday
Thumbnail

aprilbass

"Largemouth party….."
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

late April Bully

"That's a whippy 4 piece Eagle Claw rod I used there .6'6""
Tuesday
Thumbnail

late April Bully

"You bet Jeff !They swim around pretty quickly then start rollin'.Feisty characters."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

late April Bully

"Got on the bullies…….they’re fun to catch on panfish gear John…."
Monday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

Mixed bag!

"Panfish blitz….l"
Monday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Troy Dorman's photo