Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Okay brothers and Sisters, I need some help. I have long been a devotee of the short, ultralight rods - say 5' maximum length. I'm going to try a longer rod this Spring, nearly 7', ultralight fast action, as I'm going for casting distance with negligible weight.

I'm looking for a reel that will handle at the heaviest, 4lb mono or braid,  and has excellent long distance ability, especially with very little weight. I'm just afraid that a traditional ultralight reel, with its diminutive spool, will not serve me well in this regard.

I've been researching long spool reels, and the newer mag spool reels, both of which tout their respective abilities at long distance casting, but have no experience with either one.

Does anyone use these type of reels, or have any suggestions?

Views: 2104

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You know you don't have to look hard to find something made in China but you really have to look hard for that something made in the US. When I live in Kannapolis N.C. after getting out of the service I worked at Canon Mills a giant conglomerate with thousands of people employed with hundreds of buildings not just in Kannapolis but throughout the state. Now there isn't a sign of Canon Mills, buildings all leveled everybody who had a lively hood never expected  a place this large could fold and ever be jobless. Use to be able to buy USA made TV's, everything we made in the US.  Auto's when I work a Jeep Corp we made most parts in house buy USA workers as the rest of the big 3 now with many of the parts not USA made probably 2/3's made elsewhere we are not USA made auto's anymore we now are USA assembly plants assembling vehicles with parts made else where like in Mexico, China and the list goes on. I have to stop this topic it sickens me and before I say something that gets me in trouble. LOL and GOOD FISHIN..

OK Tony me being a Pflueger man guess where I'm going. Pflueger has a new reel and guess what it is designed mono or braid has an extra capacity spool for them longer casts on it with 7+1 bearings. Model 7430X may be something that will might fit the bill maybe its worth a look see. Tony you have a good day and I hope you can find what you need. We being sportsman we have to keep the economy going. Also I was wondering if your wife knows about this transaction your wanting to do. GOOD FISHIN and explaining.

Yep, keep that economy going..more spending at Victoria Secrets! YEAAAAHHH!! LOL

"Yes, dear, you can spend anything you want as long as it's at Victoria's or Frederick's" :-D

I read most of the comment s and agree with most. One item most folks are not aware of or don't pay any attention to is the size of the bottom guide on the rods. On short rods 5' or less the bottom guide should be a size 20 minimum and a 25 would be better. THe reason is it basically reduces friction between the line and reel as it is being cast and gathers the line better through the bottom as the line leaves the reel spool. I use nothing but Shimano reels for the last 15 years of so since Penn quit makeing their 420 Series ultra lights with metal bodies and went to all graphite construction on their reels. Love the Shimanos. Price is right too.

Not much difference in performance either between the Sedonas and all the reels above it in price range. In my opinion they are tops in quality for the money.
   Another thing that DDDDrastically reduces casting distance is keeping the guides clean of moss and dirt. I use spray car wax on the rods and guides for simple clean up.
   TOOTY

OUTSTANDING info Walt for these questions on reels for the folks just starting out and been useing Shimanos myself for a long time.
TOOTY

Just getting ready to build 2 specialty bluegill rods.

These will be 8' 6" 2 piece fly rod blanks. One is 5wt. the other is a 6wt.

Both are moderate/medium action with spinning guides for throwing 4# Trilene XL.

Both will have a modified handle that will be a cross between a fly rod handle and a spinning rod handle.

The reels we put on these rods are the Pflueger 1806 underspin and the next size smaller depending upon what the user wants. Don't have the number of the smaller one as it's out in my shop.

At any rate, these longer style rods build on the flyrod blank platform with the medium action are awesome for panfishing. The medium action helps with launching a tiny 1/64 or even 1/80 oz jig with a waxworm or synthetic bait a good distance. We generally recommend a styrofoam toothpick float and on windy days we may add a very small split-shot to the line.

The Pfluegers have performed very well for us if you are ok using an underspin reel. Plenty of distance on the cast with the rod/reel setup we use.

Keith

Man you guys have not let me down, I knew I could count on getting some straight up advice from this group. I went into town this morning hoping to get my hands on some St. Croix's and compare weights and actions, but the selection was dismal. I hate ordering a new rod without trying it out first! Looks like a trip to a bigger city is in order.

I LOVE the idea of a rod built off a fly rod blank, but I would hate to go over 6.5-7' in length, and I know I prefer a spinning reel.

Still researching different reels, unfortunately the local selection was just as poor for those as it was for the rods.

What ever you decide good luck. I know you get more pride out of making your own rods as I once us to, you guys keep building them quality rods for you quality people. LOL

Some of the guys are using spinning reels on them as well. Some of us just don't want to have to mess with having to flip the bail open each time LOL

We fish primarily from float tubes so the simpler we can keep things the better....at least for us old guys.

I'll take the flip open the bail over fixing bird nest any day when casting light lures.
while on the subject of reels does anyone have any experience with the pflueger spincast reels pros/cons

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
7 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
7 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
8 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
8 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
8 hours ago
8 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service