Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Okay brothers and Sisters, I need some help. I have long been a devotee of the short, ultralight rods - say 5' maximum length. I'm going to try a longer rod this Spring, nearly 7', ultralight fast action, as I'm going for casting distance with negligible weight.

I'm looking for a reel that will handle at the heaviest, 4lb mono or braid,  and has excellent long distance ability, especially with very little weight. I'm just afraid that a traditional ultralight reel, with its diminutive spool, will not serve me well in this regard.

I've been researching long spool reels, and the newer mag spool reels, both of which tout their respective abilities at long distance casting, but have no experience with either one.

Does anyone use these type of reels, or have any suggestions?

Views: 2104

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I dont have a large spool  reel but have heard they are the ones to use .I've gotten good distance with a cheap 8' Slap Seeker rod but suggest you change tip tip on it as it catches the line the way it comes .Reel  that can cast a 32nd oz well on a slip float is what I want Tony .How light are you talking about and are you considering using a float for distance as well? I like to wade a flat and cast to a drop off  .

You're right, Tony, you don't want an ultralight reel for a rod that length, especially with longer casts being the goal.  I use one step up from ultralight on my eight-foot bluegill spinning rod, specifically a Shimano Sahara 1000FD; I load it with six-pound-test Trilene XL (I use monofilament because it's limper than flourocarbon and casts better with small baits and light weight).   This size reel has a larger spool, and thus provides for longer casts and more line capacity.  I know that a  lot of people use other brands of spinning reels, but I've tried most of the better brands and to me there's no comparison in quality and performance between Shimano and the rest - if you've never used a Shimano, you'd be amazed at the difference.  To me it's drastic.  They're just far smoother and more dependable and durable, just better made all around IMHO.  I'd take a low-end Shimano over a high-end reel from any other manufacturer - I had a UL of their cheapest spinning reel, the AX series which used to not even have one ball bearing, and that reel lasted me over twenty years and was more dependable than most high-end reels I've had from other manufacturers.

I'd suggest a slower action rod if you ever use live bait - it will do a far better job of casting bait long distances with little to no weight. 

Thanks John, sounds like you and I are after the same thing!

Walt, I will look into a moderate, or medium action and see what's available. I've always been a fan of Pflueger reels, but I'm not opposed to spending some money to get something that works better. Thanks!

I have a medium Plueger reel (4 to 12lbs), as well as the ultalight (1-4lbs). I tested both on the Berkley 7'6" ultralite, using a 1/64"oz jig head in the pool..not a whole lot of noticeable difference, and cast just as far. Smooth reeling back on both count. Uaing 2lbs PowerPro braid for ultralite, and 5lbs braid for light.
Leo what is the price on thw plueger if I may ask

I saw some rods recently at Bass Pro that were called MicroLite if I remember correctly - I know micro was part of the name, and it was a series of rods.  They had them to at least 8', and if I remember correctly may even have had 9' and longer, and they had some moderate and slow action ones that looked like pretty good rods for a factory rod.  I could make you a custom one but that would cost a good bit more than a factory one, don't know if you're looking to spend that much.  The micro-lites or whatever they're called looked like pretty good rods for the money.

You are right Walt. Bass Pro brand Microlite series rod or combo, which I nearly bought but saw the Quantum for the same price. The reel for the Microlite was not as well built, and the rep there indicated it snags a bit during dragging. The rod on the other hand is freaking awesome. There is a BassPro brand glass rod at 8' that blows my mond for $20. Want to grab it but didn't have the spare change. Flex like a Kencor magnaglass, cast like a fly rod, and made in China...not something I was hoping for..

Leo, the glass rod you are talking about, is it yellow?

Yep..that's the one

great rods for money, I have two. Put a little super glue on eye tip and keep a eye on rod about 1/8 from where rod tip eye ends. I am hell on these rods. I am probably going to buy another.

The ones I see here only go up to 6.5 feet, where did you find the 8 foot model?

Online is limited. Go into the store. The shortest is 4'6", 5', 5'6", the 6'6", 7'4", and the 8'. I was asking for more of the 4'6", but ended up with the 5'6" since they don't know when the new shipment for these will come.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
18 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
21 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's status
"An Instrumental Guitar recording of mine to commemorate. …"
Sunday
John Sheehan posted a status
"Trout Season opens April 6th in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for stocking."
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
"My favorites through the Years: Manns Jelly Worm, Manns Auger tail, Charlie Brewers 4" on a…"
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
Sunday
Sunday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

"Thank you, Jeffrey!"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service