Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

I just got back from San Diego and returned by the inland route in I-15, "just in case" I needed to take a break about the time I was passing the Bass Pro Shops in Rancho Cucamonga. As luck would have it, I did indeed need a break just then :-)

The aquarium there has some righteous "Condello-sized" coppernose BG in it. Tho largest look like they'd be pushing three pounds. If center one on one of our dinner plates, I'm sure tho nose and tail would both hang off the ends, and their so round that the dorsal fin and pectoral fins would probably hang off, too.

That was my first visit to that BPS (one of only two in California). If you live in or are passing through that area, you owe it to yourself to stop in there and check out those humongous BG. They're just breathtaking, and I bet the bass, and maybe even the stripers, live in fear in that tank :-)

Jonathan

Views: 289

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

LOL Welcome to the Rancho's BPS. My favorite place to just drop thousands of bucks of my hard earned cash. Love that place! I always wonder if they actually imported those monsters from the Condello's private lake in secrecy. My jaw dropped when I saw them in March.

No pictures?!  BPS won't allow a quick little phone photo to help us bluegill addicts out?

The camera in my phone is broken, or I would have surely taken a shot. BPS is cool about photos, I've seen lots of people do it and taken a few myself as well. It's good advertising, after all, so they'd be foolish to ban photos IMO.

I'll take some shots later when I get the chance, unless Jeff Soto beats me to it.

I've seen two pound bluegill head-butt 5 pound LMB into submission in tank environments.  It's not pretty for the poor largemouth. LOL

Are you serious?  If so that is just hysterical.  I can't say that I doubt it.

Yikes, I can't believe how many typos I put in there, typing in haste and not going back to re-read my own work :p

I kind of wunder if the glass/plastic/lexan (whatever) the tanks are made from magnify the size of the fish, cant remember the store I was in (Cabelas or BPS) but you could see into the tank look'n down from a set of stairs & they didnt look as big as they did thru the side of the tank.

Just curious. 

I can get picture of what you saw! I believe you! I saw few BIG 'gills in BPS in Chicago and Orlando!

RSS

Latest Activity

Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

Beautiful Ten Inch Class Coppernose….6/30/2022

"Thanks Troy…….have a great weekend!"
15 hours ago
Troy Dorman commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
17 hours ago
yesterday
Thumbnail

Pretty Banded Coppernose With Grape in His Face….6/30;2022

"Yes sir…..the fire is going down into the peat moss which means it’s burning under…"
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a photo

Guardian Mallard Hen Getting Between the Boat and Her Nine Ducklings….6/30/2022

She would have flown anytime before but not with her little ones…
yesterday
Mikey-D commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

Pretty Banded Coppernose With Grape in His Face….6/30;2022

"You are one gill catching dude those are awesome pretty fish are you battling that smoke as well as…"
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
yesterday
yesterday
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a status
"High winds today but I put on my big boy pants and gave it a whirl, man I’m glad I did, caught 62 gills, all Coppernose but one…surface 84"
yesterday
Thumbnail

Beautiful Banding on this Coppernose….6/25/2022

"Hey Mikey-D, Coppernose are also known as “Florida Strain” bluegill as…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

june bass wayway

"Thanks Jeff!,  at beautiful Lake Waywayanda in NENJ. We always get to see an Eagle and…"
yesterday
Mikey-D commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

"I have never seen a coppernose Jeff fine looking fish."
yesterday
Mikey-D commented on Mikey-D's photo
Thumbnail

trophy wall

"2 of them were taken near the Kentucky, Virginia line the other 3 were taken here in southeast…"
yesterday
Troy Dorman commented on Mikey-D's photo
Thumbnail

trophy wall

"Those look like Kentucky and Indiana deer! Studs!"
yesterday
Thumbnail

"Thanks Mikey-D….exactly……Albemarle has an abundance of creeks and rivers that…"
Wednesday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

june bass wayway

"Nice work on the predators John…….Tuesday tradition….fishing with Greg!"
Wednesday
Mikey-D commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

june bass wayway

"I do a couple of rear drag shimano's those things are almost indestructible. "
Wednesday
John Sheehan commented on Mikey-D's photo
Thumbnail

trophy wall

"I am right there with you Mikey. Self Sufficient as much as we can be is so essential!"
Wednesday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

june bass wayway

"Got a lot of 80's stuff from my Bass club Fishing Days . I'll bet you still have a few of…"
Wednesday

© 2022   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service