Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Do people really want to learn how to catch fish? Describe how you initially learned to catch fish.

Views: 2179

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I tend not to focus on the spawn, except that it coincides with the beginning of "fishin' weather." I reckon any nimrod with a fishin' pole can catch fish, then. I see it as a moral dilemma, I suppose... do I take them away, during the most important time in their lives, when they are easy and most vulnerable?

I enjoy the activity and challenge of fishing. To me, it's not so much about fish as a Place to which I go, Time on this Earth well spent. I think of it as a life-long process, spanning childhood to old-age. And I recognize, that I cannot fish if the fish are not there to play their part. Whisking these precious creatures away from their reproduction seems like a slap in my own face.

I hear my Dad's words echoing as I write this, "Dont be a greedy bastard...."

I'm probably being too melodramatic.

As for turtles, well, they too are God's creatures. I respect them and they have their place ... its just not on the end of my line!

Thanks for the kind word.  That was a good time in my life.  The rest of year I wouldn't go fishing with my dad, because I didn't have the patience.  Then about 8 years ago we where going through a rough time and I needed a cheap way to do something with the kids.  So I started fishing,  My daughter is my only fishing partner now, the boys do not have the patience.  My daughter will get in her belly boat and go fishing with the old man.  She even caught a nice shellcracker or redear, and won our little contest.    I hope to have another good time fishing this summer.

dave

We learn with friends on internet radio? Thanks for tuning in David, Chaz and anyone else! It was fun.

Truly the pleasure was all mine, Johnny. I learned a couple of tips and had some fun, in the bargain. Being a curmudgeon-in-training, there are times I want to denounce all modern contrivances. Then something like BlogSpot Radio or Big Bluegill.com opens my eyes to the gifts we have.

Thanks to you for all you put into these things, Johnny.

I learned to bait fish from my dad.  He used to fish for carp with dough ball bait.    Then when we went on vacation, he taught me to use crickets for blue gill.  Later on in life he told me to read Charlie Brewer's book on slider fishing.  He was the forerunner to finesse fishing.  This method is how I fish for pan fish.   I taught my kids how to bait fish for blue gill.  I taught my daughter last summer how to finesse fish for bluegill.  She is the only one who has any interest in fishing now that the kids are in their teens.  I think another great tradition is catching night crawlers  I took my kids a couple of times.  

Boy do blue gill like night crawlers.  I bought some for the kids to  use and they gave up on fishing,  so I put some on my jig and reeled it in slow.  I swear I caught a blue gill about every cast.  It also seems to me that they also love crappie nibbles  just as much.  Then last year it seemed they love  gulp alive waxies just as much, and you can recharge and reuse the waxies.  so experimentation is a great teacher also

Ive had no success on bluegill using some of the Berkley products. Ive tried the Asticots, earthworms and Power nibbles. Ive even tried worms and these jar baits side by side - and the worms won every time. Interesting how they work for you.

Im certainly going to look into C. Brewers Slider method, though. I've seen the book, but have not read it. I though it was a bass technique, but it can be adapted to panfishing? This is not a surprise really; much of bluegill catching can be thought of as scaled down bassin'.

Here's something I've found similar to Mr. Brewers' book:

http://www.bassdozer.com/articles/charlie-brewer-slider-worm.shtml

Thanks Leo and David

Interestingly, I've managed to stumble upon the same ideas as Mr. Brewer. Many of we panfishermen have done the same. His notions have been summed up as 

- Enjoy fishing

- Fish smaller baits, on light hooks

- Fish s-l-o-w-l-y

Essentially, we're talking downsized finesse fishing, with baits worked throughout the water. Certainly the applications are obvious in panfishing.

Bass fishermen, on the other hand, have pretty much abandoned them. They are notorious for blasting around in powerful boats, whipping big honkin' baits past any fish they might find in hopes of catching a few.

Charlie B was a different. I suspect he knew that there were more fish beneath the waters than we imagine. So, he wanted to work over the water; hitting every nook and cranny thoroughly was his bag. Using small baits on light wire hooks and little weight were features of his method. 

I think this is going to be a fun year. Im liking it already. Thanks again guys... THIS is how we learn fishing!

PS Mr Brewer passed on in 2000. But his tools and techniques live on. His book and tackle are available under the Slider name, at the website that bears his name:

www.sliderfishing.com

I learned the this when I would fish the four inch worms and I would get the bump bump from the blue gills.  Then I cut the four inch worms down to two inch worms, and started catching crappie and blue gill.  Then I started using their 1 and a half inch  vibra tail grubs.  The action was faster catching the blue gill and crappie, so I stared concentrating on them.  Experimentation strikes again.

Good man it always pays to experiment. Don't be like some people, me included and get stuck in a rut doing the same thing over and over.

Good data- I would be interested in the "slider" method - I believe that refers to plastics mostly. We are absorbing another cold front this week up here. It was near 60 but then by the end of the day - 30. I will order live bait next week and will need to pick up some jar baits. 

I also know what anglers perceive to be "finesse" - what television refers to as ultralight is not as stealthy as they sound. Comparing to even heavier approaches- yes they are "lighter". The tag on the tactic is far more "finesse" than the actual gear and to the fish, far too easy to pick the finesse gear from natural food. Most methods are closer to eating inhibitors rather than finesse - they are just too heavy.

With the addition of a large chunk of metal next to the food - ((nothing)) can be filed under anything but lure fishing- and in the not finesse category. When you do get into the book - I would be interested.

I DO agree with Charlie if he thinks there are many, many, many fish below and few that will go after most presentations. This is why live bait float presentations appeal to the greater numbers than a heavier, or artificial manufactured bait. I think this is the way all anglers need to be picturing the water. Picture 100's of fish all around your offering during the day and none are paying much attention.

Change your presentations and you can put a hook in 100's of fish.

Watch. This Space.

How do we learn? Maybe from photos of massive catches? Maybe from side-by-side comparisons and tests. I think a little science and thinking outside the jar - or - inside the pond.

Charlie Brewer saw this as a system, Johnny. His reels lines and even rigs were integral. Today, we would call it light casting gear. Soft, 7' rods with 4 to 6 lb test line were his standard.... For bass! Before we had heard of fishing by feel - finesse fishing.... He was doing it.
When I finish the book, I'll send it to you to read.

RSS

Latest Activity

dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks to everyone."
19 hours ago
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Jim."
19 hours ago
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Black Beetle

"NICE LOOKING BUG DICK........."
20 hours ago
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz

"WOW NICE ONES BUDDY......."
20 hours ago
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"NICE PERCH BUDDY......"
20 hours ago
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"You bet Jim! I thought that was cool too!  "
21 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"Welcome Jim Cosgrove! Hope you enjoy the group !"
21 hours ago
jim cosgrove commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Your pond Dick?Nice fish."
22 hours ago
jim cosgrove joined John Sheehan's group
23 hours ago
jim cosgrove replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"Thanks for sharing John.Especially how he came up with the name."
23 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz

"Beauties Troy!"
Sunday
Troy Dorman posted a photo
Sunday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz shellcracker

"Great cracker daily double! Congrats Troy….."
Sunday
dick tabbert commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Saturday
Troy Dorman posted a photo
Friday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"This year my old Rattle Traps have been catching again in the 3",1/2 oz, and 3,5",3/4oz…"
Apr 19
"The Rattle Traps over the windy flats have called Fish up and done well. 2 mid sized and two…"
Apr 18
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far.  "
Apr 18
Apr 18
Apr 18

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service