Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Hardwater 2014

Finally got on the ice with my brother 1/9/14. My first fish (Crappie ) ,took a 1/4 oz. Hus spoon /Gulp Maggot .Greg did good on his chenille ties . I caught on 4 rods. The Tandem, Marmooska /Genz worm worked good .My marabou bloodworm caught a few . Jigging Rap/Perch eye ,Small jig with spinner bait rubber also caught .chartreuse Crappie nibbles turned the fish on .
Our tally, using various jigging rods and Lures tipped with Berkeley Crappie nibbles, Gulp maggots ,Perch Eye : 3 Crappie,2Pseeds,1 BG,1Bass,1 White Perch ,about 6 or 7 Yellow Perch The Crappie were only in 9-7 fow around fallen tree branches from a tree that hung high above the water. We only caught one fish in 20" all the others were 10-8fow. Early ice on my home lake I usually do best 8-12 feet and come mid ice a bit deeper, say 10-25fow.Light biters except for the Bass and the Larger Pseed.
2nd )went alone two perch cupsaw .fished two hrs. 3rd)Vernon Valley Lake .Lot of guys out catching Bass and Pickerel on tipups .The Gills about 20 between me and my brother loved the mealworms and waxies on the beaded nymphs we tied and used .Also got a Pseed and a Bass on the brown beaded nymph ,grey tail feather/ mealie. Also the micro jig tipped with waxies was my most productive lure .The straightline combo was happening toward the end for me .fished 12:30-4:00 .Wet snow!!
4th ) 1/29/14 Fished 1:30-5 pm Low 20 degrees .a few inches of snow on Cupsaw lake .Started out over 11fow and through about four holes caught plenty of dink Perch and Gills .The fish were hitting 9'-7' area.Moved into 8' and got a few small Perch and Gills but an inch or two bigger thatn what I was catching before .Straightline combo 3# test small feather jig ,and Marmooska tipped with waxies were the ticket ,same lure with mealies or spikes caught some too . The Crappie ,four from 11- 13.5 "s ,hit between 3:45-5pm when I banged it up .Dead shiner heads or tails on Nungesser spoon .Lost a spoon on a hook set on the 4lb leader .Stayed with 6# test and caught 4 on the Eagle claw rod . Pain fishin' the 2#test in the wind on the spring bobber rod .I stopped using it .
5) Cupsaw by the Docs house 2 crappie , dink gills and Perch .
6)Fished 2 holes west side after last cove before dam (22-25'),nothing ,cut two holes by spillway (12-14')and caught 5 Perch and a dink Gill. Fished noon-3pm .15" thick.

• photo
  • photo
  • photo
  • photo
  • photo

You need to be a member of Bluegill - Big Bluegill to add comments!

Join Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Comment by John Sheehan on March 2, 2014 at 10:23am

Thanks guys .Love getting out on the ice! Just wish I could find nice healthy Gills !

Comment by carl hendrix on March 2, 2014 at 10:17am

great pix of your outings john!  congrats to you fishing that ice!

Comment by David, aka, "McScruff" on January 12, 2014 at 4:16pm

Looking good. I envy you hard water guys...

Latest Activity

Jeffrey D. Abney posted a photo

Another Nice Male on the Popeye Jig…….8/18/2022

Summer winding down quickly….be shifting to fall techniques very soon….
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a status
"Got a few hours out this afternoon on a nice day…..bagged a limit of gills and for the first time in my life, mouth hooked several mullets.."
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

24in Trolled

"Thanks Dick ! Not sure this is the 24 " I caught but the 24 " slammed it hard .A great…"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on John Sheehan's photo
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

Good Box of Tidal Crappie and Bonus Channel Cat……..8/16/2022

"Love them Bruce …….not discussed here a lot but I eat farm raised channel catfish…"
Wednesday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

Good Box of Tidal Crappie and Bonus Channel Cat……..8/16/2022

"Thanks John……just a great fighting fish…and tasty too….."
Wednesday
Bruce Tomaselli commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Wednesday
John Sheehan commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Wednesday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

24inMiddle N Trolled

"Thanks Jeff been too long .This day is what we needed!"
Wednesday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

24inMiddle N Trolled

"Very nice day on the water…..quality fish…..crappie slabbage……congrats…"
Wednesday
John Sheehan posted photos
Tuesday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a photo

Good Box of Tidal Crappie and Bonus Channel Cat……..8/16/2022

We’ve had multiple cold fronts back to back…..and accompanying rainfall which has pushed our…
Tuesday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

Cody Goes Coppernose….8/14/2022

"Thanks Bruce and John, we enjoyed a very comfortable morning with a good bite…..I might have…"
Monday
John Sheehan commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

Cody Goes Coppernose….8/14/2022

"Nice work Jeff and Cody!"
Monday
Bruce Tomaselli commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Monday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
Sunday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a photo

Cody Tagged a Nice Warmouth…8/14/2022

Everything caught on live cricket tipped jigs ….surface temperatures down to 77 in this creek,…
Sunday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a photo

Several Doubles This Morning….8/14/2022

I enjoyed seeing Cody figure out the pattern this morning…
Sunday