Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

As much as I fish I still have those bucket list items that motivate me beyond the determination I already display. I'm within a reasonable distance of more than a dozen rivers and countless creeks that provide me year round joy for the beloved sunfish. I've done this for several years and 2014 will be no different. I look at my bucket list as items that have a 50% chance or higher chance of happening. Here are my top five panfish quests for 2014, three are in North Carolina within 30 miles of my residence and the other two are in extreme southeastern Virginia just an hour away.

1. Esclip Creeks.......I've fished adjacent creeks to these with great success but have never pushed a little further to fish these remote settings off the Albemarle Sound....

2. Raymond Creek......I recenty had dinner with an older gentleman that caught a 13" Coppernose in this region back in the 60s.....he explained that weight wasn't a big deal back then but in his humble estimations the fish was over two pounds....his technique is a secret until I actually go with him after the full moon in May...Can't wait for that!

3. Great Creek......Another remote location in which I have fished adjacent creeks but never have pushed to the horizon to check this water out.......An accomplished bass angler recently assured me that I would always fish it if I found the time to go this spring/summer.....he went on to speak of Coppernose that take his big crank baits intended for bass......say no more, I'll be there this upcoming season!

4. Great Bridge Canal......I have not given this place a fair shake in the past......but plan to dedicate a weekend to it and a few surrounding areas....it just has my curiousity up if you will........I just get a fishing vibe and that can only be understood by fisherman.......

5. Finally a place with a lure like no others......BACK BAY in coastal Virginia is making a comeback and for the folks that experienced the incredible Bluegill fishing back in the day, it is most likely the best they have ever took part in! Some of the most amazing stringers of Bluegill I've ever seen in my 49 years.....I can't take anyone's word .....I've got to go and feel it in person.......would love to see it come back like it was.......

If anyone cares to share we would love to read about it......I plan to follow up next year on these trips when I get to go....my hope is that at least one or two of them will provide that bluegill adrenaline that makes me who I am!

Views: 483

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's always fun to introduce someone new to the sport of Bluegill fishing......if they go on the right day, there's a good chance they'll be hooked for life......Good luck Vince

My personal goal in 2014 is to develop the technique and use of terminal tackle to consistently catch one inch bluegill on pole, hook and line. 

Look forward to it Joe.....

I love this - say it like you mean it, Joe!

Probably the only guy I know who does.

Im guessing that going small also helps when going big....

I think I'll just be munching on snacks as I keep watch over all the wonderful catches done by you Jeffrey, and the rest of the great water masters. However, the challenges are still on:

1. Capture the moment when my wife catches her first bass ever, hopefully big enough to break her..err..my rod.

2. Help her to catch her first striper, ever.

3. Hunt down the elusive 6 to 10lbs tilapia.

4. Watch my wife struggles to land a 30lbs+ flathead kitty using salt rig designed for sharks.

5. Watch her grins as she land her catches, with photographic proofs, of her catches on Tooty's fly rod as a gift for her.

6. At least beat my wife once at fishing..*sigh*

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
10 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
10 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
10 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
10 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
11 hours ago
11 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
Tuesday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
Tuesday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service