Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

we fry our gamefish..

usually i make my own batter.. really easy.

flour, seasoned salt, garlic powder, black pepper and sometimes a pinch of cayanne

sometimes i buy it and get a brand called ANDYS its very good and only a dollar a bag.. also there is a few hillbillies in my area that make some in different flavors its called HAMMS and you can buy it at the local outdoor store..

Views: 3150

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My favorite store bought coating is a regional brand called ,"House Autry."

When I roll em myself it's pretty simple. Filets are soaked in 7-Up for 20 minutes, then patted dry. Dip them in milk, then roll in seasoned* corn meal with about 1/4 cup of dry grits added.

Fry in hot peanut oil.

*seasoning - salt, pepper, garlic, parsley and cayenne pepper

see thats pretty cool ... i kinda figured with different regions would come different recipies.. soaking them in 7up sounds pretty good.. never heard of that.. and also it seems like you use corn meal intead of flour.. every once in awhile i mix corn meal and flour together but using just flour gives you a more delicate batter..

i also use peanut oil most of the time or canola oil

The 7-Up thing I picked up when researching rough fish. Fish often take on an objectionable taste, particularly in shallow waters that turn warm and "weedy" as the season rolls on. This is also true with the less desirable specimens, like carp, bullheads, suckers , etc. Soaking them this way improves their flavor and firms the flesh.  It also helps, when dealing with large filets, to remove the dark flesh, i.e., the lateral meat and the top/bottom edges. 

Other methods involve soaking in baking soda or milk. Ive never tried the baking soda and it is a waste to toss out milk you've only soaked fish in - so I use the lemon-lime soda.** It should be said that this isn't really needed with the smaller sunfish, as they are pretty mild flavored.  The same goes for most of the other mild fishes like perch, pickerels and those caught through the ice.

Im not a rabid fish lover to start with, so when the water warms, this has become something I do out of habit.

The cornmeal is a Southern thing, of course.  A little wheat flour doesn't hurt, and it adds fineness, as you note. But it also tends to burn, so you don't want too much. The grits are there to add, well... grit. It isn't but about 5% of the total mix, but I like the toothy crunch it adds to the coating. I do allow, though, that it isn't for everyone. In general, cornmeal alone will suffice.

** 7-Up is also great for mixing with a large shot of vodka, whiskey or red wine. Use this mix to soak the fishermans' insides prior to eating his catch.

I have heard about the 7 up soak for stripped bass and catfish to eliminate strong off taste, but have yet to try , but I have soaked the fisherman in Vodka or Jack Daniels and 7 up or sometimes Mountain dew..LOL

The photo I posted recently with the platter of fried fish was breaded with Andy's "red" mix.... I believe that the egg and milk wash like Bill's video showed is key to getting a good consistency of coverage, and I remove my fillets from the wash and drop them into a gallon plastic bag filled with the seasoning and shake them around. That way every piece is coated evenly with the seasoning.

As far as frying, start with the oil hot, 350 degrees minimum, and don't add too many fillets at once, as it brings the oil temperature down and "boils" the fish, rather than fries it.

BATTER MIX I really never thought of it as a recipe and mine is more of a breading. I'll tell you what I through together as far as measurements I'd be short of truthful because I never measure I just through it together. Starts 3/4 parts flour to 1/4 part cornmeal put in bowl. To this I'll add garlic powder, onion powder, lowrey's season salt, and paprika, and anise seed and that I measure because if you get to much it will overwhelm every thing. I add about 12 anise seed don't sound like much but trust me that's plenty. From there I break an egg or 2 start mixing. Now with a can of beer I'll start adding till I get the consistency I want. If you want a thin batter you will add more beer, If you want a heavy batter go lite on the beer. You can deep fry which I prefer or pan fry. Let oil get to 350 to 375 put in fillets and fry till golden brown. But a word of caution if you use new oil will not quit achieve that golden brown. When the fillet floats I usually leave in about 1 or 2 minutes longer. When done put on paper towels and get ready to eat. I'm usually full by the thing I'm done cooking. Try it and make chances to fit your taste buds, we are all different. 

COATING MIX use recipe above this will be beer free and a thinner dry coating. Mix all dry ingredients above put in plastic bag. Crack 2 eggs into bowl. Soak fish in your egg wash, take out of wash put in plastic bag of dry mix and shake till coated thoroughly. I prefer to pan fry but deep frying is fine. Oil temps the same as above cook and enjoy. Don't start sampling before your done with dinner or you'll be like me to full before you get to the supper table. Hope you all enjoy and don't be afraid to add and delete things as you go.

I like Musky's video's he's got lots of good stuff. Keep them coming, video's are much better they are like hands on. Thank's Musky

Official LOFR Southern Style Bluegill Recipe

First start out with some fresh large bluegill , in a stainless bowl add filets and sprinkle with Tony Chacheries Creole Seasoning, add one egg and mix with filets, add white corn meal seasoned with Tony Chacheries and let rest for a short time 5 minutes,make shure fish have been coated well, fry in 350-375 degree peanut oil , cook until done, sprinkle with a light dusting of Tonys, enjoy! The big question is which do you prefer Crinkle Cut Fries or Shoestring French Fries?  Serve with cole slaw and use the leftover dry batter to make the hushpuppies, but thats another recipe.    LOFR

Official LOFR  Tempura Batter for Bluegill

Start out  with either self rising or all purpose flour, self rising makes a thicker crust,  Use a ratio of 2 parts flour to 1 part  corn starch, add chilled club soda  to achieve desired thickness of batter, coat seasoned filets  and drop in hot grease, cook until done, sprinkle with Tony Chacheries , enjoy. This is excellent for people that dont like a heavy cornmeal batter. This recipe all works well with frog legs. I even fix this in my cast iron Wok.   LOFR

Amen on the third beer.

I think I might try the rice flour.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
2 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
2 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
2 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
2 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
2 hours ago
2 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
21 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service