Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Was going to ask a few people but could be an interesting forum and I'll admit I need all the help I can get and sure some other may get some benefit from the information. I have a half dozen fly rods not bad for someone who don't know how to cast one properly yet. Although I have a few rods sorry haven't really had the opportunity to use them much and some not at all. I do have the corner on wind knots so really need to get out and hone my skills and really improve. My three main go to rods are the 2wt, 4wt and 6wt all graphite. Us the 2wt most thanks to Greghopper who got me hooked.

I guess my questions are best fly lines, best leaders size leaders will it be better to go up in leader and smaller leaded is it better to go a size larger in fly line and will I get increase casting distance and better performance from my line/rod. Really want to make it work this year that is of coarse if I have any fish left from this sever winter. Any info will be appreciated. Will be attempting to use all three rods but my heart belongs to the 2wt ain't gonna lie.

Diamondback 2wt 4 piece 8'

Cabellas 4wt 4piece 9'

Sage 6wt 2 piece 9'

Have to find my reels seemed to have misplace only finding the 2wt reel. Have 2 reels for each rod when I get them located. Any info will be of help all you fly fisherman. So I want the farthest cast line for each rod and of coarse most forgiving. Can we go up on line and down on leaders to make up for the difference.

Views: 1188

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

to me-- this is a great subject!!  thanks for bringing this one up dicky!!  I have fooled around some with fly rods for years;; but never really gotten into  the how;s it work better- line to use- tippets and things like that!!!  hey-- im learning to guys!!   I think I have the roll cast down  pretty good;; I can make it turn sideways; and shoot underneath a limb; just inches off the water. 

Thanks Carl hey maybe one day I'll be able to achieve that some places I know the roll cast will work fine.

That's something I need to learn how to do!

That's what I herd McScruff but also that it cast farther and much more forgiving, I am still in learning mod.

Me too, Dick.

Only thing I can add is I hate fast rods, just sold my last one today. Definitely lots of practice and I think newer graphites may be easier to learn on but getting into the 2wt class takes lots of practice. If it is windy may as well leave it at home. 

Thanks Craig I know it can be a bear to use in the wind and it seems like it's windy here all the time. Hoping the 2wt with 3wt forward line will help. But I'm still in a learning curve.

i think overlining a rod is way better than using the recommended line that wont load the rod.i need a rod that will load with a small amount of line as i do some pretty creative and ugly casting to get around brush and trees..i have a longer rod or 2 and in a boat in the wind the faster rod will put more on the cast.you just need to start with more line out and do everything faster with more snap to your motion.beautiful when it works and all that line in the air.sucks when you gotta pull the bug out of your ear with pliers

Jim you ain't seen ugly till you see me casting. No short rod here most 9' with 1 that's 8'. Don't  know which is better shorter or longer.

It's simple physics.  The tip of a longer rod moves a longer distance on the casting stroke, and therefore, also moves faster.  Shorter rods have to be moved faster (and possible further) to achieve the same line speed.

The main reason I went with a short rod for my lightweight stuff is that I'm going to be using it some pretty tight quarters, somewhere I don't really want to be using a 9' long pole.

thats why i prefer the slow action rods.your stroke can be slower and more deliberate,you can also change direction in mid cast.and a slower action will load with much less line out.but you do sacrifice distance as you tend to stall at a certain point as the rod runs out of energy,

On the subject of tippets, look into tippet rings.
These are micro sized rings that tie on the end of your leader - and you tie your tippet to THEM.
Then, as you change flies or replace tippet, tour leader stays intact.
Mine are 1.5mm in diameter and believe me, that is tiny.
When they say micro, they mean it!

RSS

Latest Activity

jim cosgrove commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"like minds"
15 minutes ago
16 minutes ago
John Sheehan posted photos
2 hours ago
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks to everyone."
23 hours ago
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Jim."
23 hours ago
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Black Beetle

"NICE LOOKING BUG DICK........."
yesterday
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz

"WOW NICE ONES BUDDY......."
yesterday
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"NICE PERCH BUDDY......"
yesterday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"You bet Jim! I thought that was cool too!  "
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"Welcome Jim Cosgrove! Hope you enjoy the group !"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Your pond Dick?Nice fish."
yesterday
jim cosgrove joined John Sheehan's group
yesterday
jim cosgrove replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"Thanks for sharing John.Especially how he came up with the name."
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz

"Beauties Troy!"
Sunday
Troy Dorman posted a photo
Sunday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz shellcracker

"Great cracker daily double! Congrats Troy….."
Sunday
dick tabbert commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Saturday
Troy Dorman posted a photo
Friday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"This year my old Rattle Traps have been catching again in the 3",1/2 oz, and 3,5",3/4oz…"
Apr 19
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"The Rattle Traps over the windy flats have called Fish up and done well. 2 mid sized and two…"
Apr 18

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service