Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Well I finally made it out for a short time this afternoon. The fishing was tough, as the lack of fishable ice meant I was casting from shore, using a slip float. Combine that with a steady crosswind and it was nigh impossible to detect a bite. I only managed three small females, between 8-9".

I measured the water temp in one pond at 38 degrees, at a depth of two feet. All of the fish were taken on a size 14 horizontal tungsten jig, tipped with a beemoth. I was fishing at a depth of 10', across a flat that is 14' deep.

Here are a few pics,  you can see an area of skim ice behind the fish I'm holding up.. maybe 1/8" thick. I was casting right along its edge, from another position.

I'll try again tomorrow, see if I can do better.

Views: 325

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Don't know about up North Tony, but the weather forecast down here is still very mild through the next 10 days.....Good work to get out there and try your luck.......Your efforts will be rewarded at some point!  

Nice going Tony. A few caught is better than the old skunkeroo here..and a skunk is better than not going fishing *LOL* Just wondering about the beemoth. Do you find them in a mature stages over there during the winter time? This may be a great fly in the making!

Leo, I'm not sure what you mean by mature stages. I was under the impression that their mature stage was a moth, and I have indeed seen them cocoon and emerge as moths, but only if I don't mind their storage temperature close enough.

I really want some maggots/spikes/eurolarvae, and I normally order a quantity for ice fishing, but did not do so this year. The local bait shops do not carry them. They stay alive on the hook longer, and they are just plain tough. They come in pretty colors, too.....

Yep, mature stages are the moths. I read on their cycles as most were in cocoons and turn into the horned caterpillars. Looks like they go from cocoon before the frost, and mature into moths before winter just for the survival mode in your areas.

Hm..may check in our stores for such exotic moths. Otherwise, we just have to stick with meal and wax worms.

thanks tony, your information is very good allways.

Thanks for the info Tony. I know although you didn't catch as much as you wanted it was still fun. GOOD FISHIN...

RSS

Latest Activity

Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Andre Sturkey's photo
Thumbnail

BLESSED

"I love to see this! I  love the concentration////////You go Andre!"
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Andre Sturkey's photo
Thumbnail

Titus's first fish

"You're off to a great start Andre! Awesome"
yesterday
Andre Sturkey posted photos
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
Sunday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Sunday
Thumbnail

A Nice Limit of Black Crappie....10/24/2020

"Thanks Jack! It's  good to see a few crappie going shallow........We're later this…"
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Sunday
Jack Sandlin commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Sunday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
Saturday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a status
"After record heat in September, the Albemarle crappie are going shallow...limit this morning on the Pasquotank...water temps in the high 60s"
Saturday
Jim Gronaw commented on Jim Gronaw's photo
Thumbnail

Matt's Biggun'

"Thanks gents...hope all is well and be safe!"
Oct 12
John Sheehan commented on Jim Gronaw's photo
Thumbnail

Matt's Biggun'

"Wow 10 over 20 " thats a GREAT run! Hall of Fame statstics!"
Oct 12
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jim Gronaw's photo
Thumbnail

Matt's Biggun'

"Matt learned from a great angler and I'm sure proud father!"
Oct 12
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jim Gronaw's photo
Thumbnail

My Friends New PB

"This fish is addictive......it sent me back to my Toledo Bend photo albums to reminisce of GREAT…"
Oct 12
Thumbnail

Citation Warmouth....11" Class.....7/3/2020

"Appreciate it Jim!....This was a prize for me......takes me back to my childhood when you could…"
Oct 12
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Gregs15" Crappie

"Quality fish anywhere!......This is a trophy in my book John!"
Oct 12
Thumbnail

Post Spawn Coppers.....7/14/2020

"Thanks Jim......Summertime bigs!"
Oct 12
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

24" Pickerel

"Haha Thanks Jim .Greg and I had a tough day yesterday .1 Pickerel  1 Perch is all we got .…"
Oct 7
John Sheehan commented on Jim Gronaw's photo
Thumbnail

My Friends New PB

"Great Fish!"
Oct 7
Jim Gronaw commented on John Sheehan's photo
Oct 6

© 2020   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service