Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Ran across this photo album on Google Plus, shows some nice bluegill and LMB caught in the Hiroshima area:

https://plus.google.com/photos/102509885580321866165/albums/5702860...

Views: 527

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Very interesting stuff. I wouldn't have thought I know they are famous for golden carp and coy and I guess they are quit pricey if the owner decides to sell them. Also I know they at least have blue gills in Viet Nam that's the only fresh water fish I remember seeing.

You were in Viet Nam? When? I used to live there. Where did you see bluegill? I've seen tilapia, and small tilapia look very much like bluegill. They also taste really good; somewhat similar to BG but with drier flesh.

so does anyone know if blugill and largemouth bass are native to japan and other foreign countries??? 

or do u think they imported them from the USA or somewhere else????

They were imported from the United States (1920s or 1930s, IIRC). Bluegill are quite widespread today; sometime after leaving Japan I read that the moat around the Imperial Palace is pretty well infested with them and they were trying to find some way to get rid of them. Too bad fishing isn't allowed there :-)

They brought the Largemouth and Bluegill in . they are using them for tournaments over there. and last year they designated them as a trash fish.

They have actually began to over take all of their lakes

Bass fishing is a very big sport in Japan.  The 2nd largest bass ever caught was from Japan and the bait used was a live BLUEGILL!  I have made replica mounts of several huge (over 15 lbs.) Largemouth Bass that were caught in Japan.  Wonder if there's any giant Bluegills there?

Wait, are they LMB or SMB? I see SMB, or am I a bit off with my bass?

Leo I think your off your game there all I see is large mouth bass.

I think I need new glasses *LOL* When I look at the bass with their mouths opened, the back of the mouth doesn't go beyond the eye. So, I chimed in as SMB.

Leo they are Large mouth or spotted bass which is in the bass family but no small mouth even the coloration is wrong.

AFAIK there are no SMB in Japan, but I think they would do really well in mountain rivers if introduced. It's pretty unlikely that they will be. Just sayin'

Rainbow trout are also common in Japan, and browns are available in some places. Native species include yamame, amago, iwana, and sakuramasu. I recently read that a sakuramasu is a sea-run yamame, something of which I was previously unaware because the coloration is so different (they are silvery, like a salmon) in every sakuramasu photo I've seen.

You can see some beautiful yamame photos here:

http://tokyoflyfishing.wordpress.com/2010/11/17/cherry-salmon-yamam...

Yamame are pretty hard to catch, being wary and liking cold, clear water. I've only ever caught two: one wild and one stocked (captive, essentially). I don't think I've ever seen a more beautiful fish, although the golden trout comes close.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
4 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

Stunning Colors on This Redbreast Sunfish…….5/16/2024

"View full size to appreciate this fish….."
6 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a photo

Stunning Colors on This Redbreast Sunfish…….5/16/2024

With so many Coppernose on the Albemarle…..it’s a pleasant sight to catch the growing RBS ……love…
6 hours ago
Thumbnail

The Highly Desired “Whales” or Jumbo Soft Shells…..5/15/2024

"Love them……friends and family love when I cook soft shells……. This is a…"
8 hours ago
Thumbnail

Murray Bridges Watches Over His Salt Water Tanks a Few Years Back…

"Thanks John….one of my first jobs growing up in Louisiana was at a seafood market working…"
8 hours ago
Bruce Tomaselli commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
14 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

bbod3.3

"Thanks Jeff.! Greg and I had a good time ."
15 hours ago
15 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

MIDMAYCATCHERS

"Yea Jeff , a little prism tape never hurts. One of my best spinnerbaits. "
15 hours ago
15 hours ago
Thumbnail

The Highly Desired “Whales” or Jumbo Soft Shells…..5/15/2024

"I’ve fished for blue crabs my entire life…….the only type of fishing that my…"
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
yesterday
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a status
"It’s soft shell crab season in coastal North Carolina and I would be remiss if I didn’t mention Mr. Murray Bridges, a legendary water-man"
yesterday
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a status
"After heavy rain overnight and no thunderstorms north of the sound, I decided to go to a Creek by my house to fish a couple hours late today"
yesterday
Thumbnail

Another Quality Pair of Gills……5/14/2024

"We have a month going for sure……Mother Nature is threatening us now with…"
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

MIDMAYCATCHERS

"L like the bleeding blade on the spinner bait……way to go old school John!"
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo