Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

I went on you tube looking at different knots, and found one called the 100% knot. I sometimes have trouble seeing my 2 and 4 lb. test when I tie a improved clinch knot, and thought I would try something easier on my eyes. I lost two fish today because of knot failure. I finally just squinted hard, and went back to the improved clinch knot. Has anyone else on here tried this knot?

Views: 2559

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yea Lion Heart do that and get with me it appears to be a decent knot.

Dick
Hello I've been using this knot on trout here in Oregon ..fish size 10 to 18 inches on the average with 5x - 6x leaders .....using 3-4 weight fly tackle ... The knot is foolproof ...as I said b4 I have yet to break the knot at the eye let or any other place for that matter ...let me known how it performs ....thanks
Paul

Paul I used it for the first time last week and it seems solid and so simple to tie.

Simple is an understatement ..I was initially very Leary of the knot
When I first used it ...it just doesnt seem to be very strong when
Looking at it ...but..,very deceiving , strong, easy to tie ...my go to knot from this day on for sure.......
Paul

I will check the Davy Knot out. Thanks for the info Paul.

Hey Vince after reading all this supposedly technical data on the integrity of the Davy
Knot, you know the old saying "try it you'll,like it" .... We talking about putting physical pressure on a line playing a fish at different pulling angles and different strengths ..my engineering background coming into play here .. There IMHO these test are subjective as hell too many
Variables come into play to make a final determination ...
Paul

Alright, after a full hour of playing with the knots, I'm stoked:

Major note: When using hooks, please, please, make sure to protect your eyes, and cover the hook with a piece paper, linen towel, or something to prevent the hook from flying away as you have it clamped down, hooked down, etc.. Not fun seeing that ballistic flying through the air at some one.

- 12 tests per line brand. Davy knot at the hook, different knots at the  Bass Pro Shop weight meter, since Davy knot slips at the large diameter metal hook:

- Using #10 Gamakatsu wet fly hook

- 3 feet leader line

Spider XXX Super Mono, 2#:

- 2 failed at hook, and 2 at meter using improved clinch knot

- 2 failed at hook, 1 meter, 1 failed at center using double surgeon knot

- 2 failed at hook, and 2 failed at center using nail knot

P-Line Flouro, 2#:

- 1 failed at hook, 1 at meter, and 2 at center using improved clinch knot

- 2 failed at hook, and 2 at meter using double surgeon knot

- 2 failed at hook, 1 at meter, and 1 failed at center using nail knot

P-Line Flouro, 4#:

- 3 failed at hook, and 1 at meter using improved clinch knot

- 2 failed at hook, 1 at meter, and 1 failed at center using double surgeon knot

- 3 failed at hook, and 1 at meter using nail knot

Berkeley Vanish flouro, 8#:

- 2 failed at hook, and 2 at meter using improved clinch knot

- 1 failed at hook,  2 at meter, 1 failed at center using double surgeon knot

- 2 failed at hook, 2 failed at center using nail knot.

Walmart brand, 20#:

- 3 failed at hook, and 1 at meter using improved clinch knot

- 1 failed at hook, 2 at meter, and 1 failed at center using double surgeon knot

- 3 failed at hook,  and 1 failed at center using nail knot.

Lesson learned:

* Davy knot is easy to use and strong for hooks..not so much for tying to large diameter metal rods. It actually exceed the test pound of the main line by 0.2 to 0.8# before snapping. Impressive.

* NEVER EVER BUY P-LINE any more. It's crap. I rather spend the money on Spider or Berkeley.

Leo had a hard time understanding your test. I see the improve clinch knots, and double surgeons knot and the nail knot using your different lines but didn't see you Davy knots. I understand your test except for the Davy knot didn't see in the fishing line line up.

The Davy knot is being used at the hook's eye Dick. The Davy knot slips as it's tied to the large diameter metal rods on the meter. So, I have to use a different knot. When I say failed at the hook, it means the Davy knot failed at the hook. When I indicated it failed at the meter, the knot I used (improved clinch/double surgeon/nail knot) failed at the meter. Center is of equal play between the two knots.

I'm still missing one size 10 hook somewhere in the bedroom. Man, hope one of us don't get impaled by that sucker. Forgot to debarb it.

Thank you for clarifying now I understand and thanks for the knot reviews it was very interesting. I'm thinking to knot is as good or maybe a little better than some. Great job.

U got me confused as hell here ...I'm looking 4 practical application in a breakage test ...what's the actual structural integrity of the knot ...
Lesson learned is contradictory to what your tests show ...easy and strong for hooks exceeded the test pound b4 snapping ..impressive ..I've used the knot on 6x tippets on 4-5 lb resides here in Oregon and never a failure ..that's a pretty impressive test if u ask me ... Can someone clarified this test for me ..
Many thank
Paul
Paul, just spitting out data as I go along. Interprete according to what you see.

However, P-Line will not be my choice of line any more. Compares to Spider, P-Line snapped within the test pound indicated. Berkeley flouro and Spider mono went higher than P-Line before snapping. This is a critical thing to know since that little difference will land or lose the fish.

Davy knot will hold up to the test pound strength, and slightly beyond, as indicated by the manufacturer before snapping. Davy knot will not work on something with a larger diameter, like a 14 gauge stainless steel hook/rod. I have to use a different knot.

RSS

Latest Activity

Troy Dorman posted a photo
7 hours ago
jim cosgrove commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"like minds"
13 hours ago
13 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
16 hours ago
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks to everyone."
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Jim."
yesterday
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Black Beetle

"NICE LOOKING BUG DICK........."
yesterday
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz

"WOW NICE ONES BUDDY......."
yesterday
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"NICE PERCH BUDDY......"
yesterday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"You bet Jim! I thought that was cool too!  "
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"Welcome Jim Cosgrove! Hope you enjoy the group !"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Your pond Dick?Nice fish."
yesterday
jim cosgrove joined John Sheehan's group
yesterday
jim cosgrove replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"Thanks for sharing John.Especially how he came up with the name."
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz

"Beauties Troy!"
Sunday
Sunday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz shellcracker

"Great cracker daily double! Congrats Troy….."
Sunday
dick tabbert commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Saturday
Apr 19
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"This year my old Rattle Traps have been catching again in the 3",1/2 oz, and 3,5",3/4oz…"
Apr 19

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service