Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Air temps yesterday were in the 60's.  Cold front moving in, severe storms were expected in the afternoon/evening, according to the weather shamans.  It was foggy when I woke up. 

It was dead-calm when I arrived at the launch, but by the time I actually got into my kayak and paddled off, a breeze picked up from the southwest.  There was one other truck/trailer in the parking lot.  After paddling out and approaching the upwind bank, I spotted a camoflaged boat with a spread of duck decoys.  I immediately turned away, with the wind, dropped my drift sock over, and let the wind push me away from the duck hunters.

I got three bites that did not hook up on the minnow crankbait I was using on *one* cast.  Several minutes after that, I caught a barely-keeping sized Yellow Perch.  20 minutes later I tagged a keeper LMB.  Those ended up being the only fish I caught.

I paddled upwind again, and set up a drift in a different part of the main lake body.  After about 15 - 20 minutes, I could hear a boat engine approaching.  About the time I finally spotted it (25hp engine pushing a pontoon), I thought I heard a rumble of thunder.  I pulled out my phone, checked the weather, and sure enough, the leading edge of a massive area of rain was getting close.  I pulled in my drift sock and started a fast paddle back to the launch.  Just as I finished loading, and pulled out of the DNR Launch area, it started sprinkling.

Temps tonight (Monday) are supposed to drop down to about 32.  Over night lows the rest of this week are going to be in the 20's.  I need to winterize my kayak.  Drain the water out of the hull (it has a few small leaks), pull the scupper plugs under my seat, tuck away all the rod leashes and paddle leash, and flip it on it's side, up against the house.  Time to inventory what little ice-fishing equipment I have and see what I need to get.

Views: 139

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

SMH I don't know Allen. More likely your new type of adventure just begins. Call it ice-akying adventure. Time to retrofit that kayak with some ice fishing equipment.

Hope you had an enjoyable open water season Allen… over –all how do you like Michigan fishing compared to other states?

Yeah fishing from my small SOT kayak is warm water summer type fishing… id like to get a larger model with an elevated seat… something like the Pelican Catch 120… always getting wet in my current model.

I’m getting all the ice – gear ready for the upcoming season. I may have a window of opportunity to fish down in Florida for the winter to early spring. Either way I’ll be getting some fishing in.

Good luck on the upcoming hard water-season

RSS

Latest Activity

Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

Had to Share Since I’ve Fished Toledo Bend Most of my Life……7/15/2024

"Indeed Jim….I actually swam in this reservoir for many years when I was younger and I feel…"
Monday
jim cosgrove commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Monday
Thumbnail

"It’s a monster for sure Tracy….but in Louisiana just like all species of…"
Monday
tracy willis commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

"geez that thing is huge.  i dont even try to fish for them here in TN.  they are highly…"
Monday
John Sheehan commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Monday
Monday
Bruce Tomaselli commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Sunday
Thumbnail

Live Brackish Water Grass Shrimp Closeup.......

"Gotta be a prolific and preferred Bait!"
Sunday
Sunday
Sunday
Thumbnail

Berkley Gulp/Live Grass Shrimp Combo on a Circle Hook

"A great combination of color and real forage with a grass shrimp tipped on the hook"
Sunday
Thumbnail

Our Grass Shrimp Hatch begins in Early May

"Catching grass shrimp in the spring will result in small crabs as well"
Sunday
Thumbnail

Live Brackish Water Grass Shrimp Closeup.......

"Average adult grass shrimp about the size of two adult fingers"
Sunday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a photo

All Time Favorite Panfish Bait…..7/21/2024

Growing up near the salt marsh in southern Louisiana this little species of shrimp was readily…
Sunday
Thumbnail

"Indeed John….what folks will do in Louisiana with these large alligator gar is…"
Sunday
Jul 18
Jul 18
Thumbnail

"Yes John….Ive fished Toledo Bend many years….when these monsters were…"
Jul 17
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail