Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

What trip or fishing moment stands out from 2011?...For me it was early this past June when my dad and nephew came in for a visit....We had made a few short afternoon trips early in June and my vacation started the afternoon of the ninth...A coworker recommended a location that I hadn't been before and I brought home the idea of trying it out the morning of June 10th.....We went against our best judgement and away from honey holes that have produced for years including this Spring as well...We got down to the river and headed out at first light equipped with instinct and energy. Amazingly enough, the first spot we went produced 90 big Coppernose and Warmouth by 8:00 a.m....We talk about these things all year and discuss struggles and success that we experience....But when you're able to experience this type of fishing with your closest fishing partners it becomes priceless.....June 10th of 2011 is a day I will always remember and talk about......Something about catching bluegill that can bring you together like that....It's not how many or how big, it's about the great experience we all had together.....Too Cool !!!!!!!!!!

Views: 492

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the vote of confidence Harald, but I don't believe that running a campground is in my family's immediate future. The place has been closed for a number of years now, and nature is doing her best to eliminate any traces of the area's former usage.

I mow around the ponds, and maintain the roads as best I can, all through the summer months, and every winter I clear off the backside of the dams. I also choose an area to "reclaim", if you will, every winter. So I am slowly gaining on it. I do maintain a handful of campsites, complete with electricity and water, as my parents, and some friends of theirs, will spend a few days every summer, and it's nice to have a few spots available for them.

I will throw this out there though.... If the members of BBG should ever decide to hold an informal gathering, and are in need of a location, my family and I would be willing to host it here...... just give me a few months notice, and don't expect all the amenities of a four-star hotel! And that goes for just a simple day of fishing also. Whether you're in the area, or just passing through, you are welcome to wet a line here.

Along these lines, I have been toying with the idea of trying my hand at maintaining a blog, here at BBG. Nothing special, just a chronicle of our adventures, our ponds, and our fish, here at the old campground. I could post some pics, showing what the place looks like, and the results, both good and bad, of our experiments with growing Bluegill, and catching fish. Is this considered an acceptable use of the blog feature?

Would anyone want to read about it? Please let me know what you think of the idea, good or bad?

Great, great story. isn't it amazing how this little fish can enrich your life! once again great story

Tony, were is your camp ground locted. when you get the big gills going, I will have to come over and camp and fish. I live in southern IL.

Well not really my story, but this big cat (44#) was caught while crappie fishing, by a buddy of mine. caught on b&m 10' pole 10lb line and blk/chart jig. in the narrowest 14ft jon boat I have ever seen.

Attachments:

Tony I would love to do something like that. I would love to come down and rough it. :) Sounds like a great place to hang out for a weekend. :) Keep us posted if you plan something.

Tony, would love to read your blog and hear what you are doing. I would love to see a gathering of bbg friends. Thanks for the invite to wet a line.

RSS

Latest Activity

Troy Dorman posted photos
3 hours ago
Troy Dorman posted a photo
yesterday
jim cosgrove commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"like minds"
yesterday
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks to everyone."
Wednesday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Jim."
Wednesday
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Black Beetle

"NICE LOOKING BUG DICK........."
Wednesday
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz

"WOW NICE ONES BUDDY......."
Wednesday
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"NICE PERCH BUDDY......"
Wednesday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"You bet Jim! I thought that was cool too!  "
Wednesday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"Welcome Jim Cosgrove! Hope you enjoy the group !"
Wednesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Your pond Dick?Nice fish."
Wednesday
jim cosgrove joined John Sheehan's group
Wednesday
jim cosgrove replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"Thanks for sharing John.Especially how he came up with the name."
Wednesday
John Sheehan commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz

"Beauties Troy!"
Sunday
Troy Dorman posted a photo
Sunday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz shellcracker