Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Since there is a forum for the biggest BG that got away, I thought I would start one for the smallest. Today, after dragging a good fighter through the debris on the edge of the pond, I finally got it up above the water. It was about 1" long if you include the tail. It was even smaller than the fry we stocked about 6 weeks ago. It also dropped off the hook as I was staring at it. Lets see who can top that!

Views: 601

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Congrats Sharon! It takes a highly skilled fisherperson to hook one that small! ;-)
Beautiful!
that would have been funny. did you fish today?
I don't have any pics of these tiny ones, but back in the 70s on a family vacation, we spent a few days at a campground on Sheridan Lake, in the Black Hills. The campground was on a point in the lake, so I had water on 3 sides of me and was in fishing paradise :-)

Walking along the bank, I came upon a spot where there were a bunch of tiny 1 - 2" bluegill holding under some floating weeds up against the bank. Just for fun, I tied on a small shiny hook and started jiggling it in the water at the edge of the weeds to see if any would hit. After about 15 minutes I got bored of catching and releasing so many of them, not a one over 2 inches :-)

Then I got down to serious fishing and caught enough yellow perch for dinner every day we were there. One of my favorite childhood fishing memories. The campground host, who had a boat, would catch his limit of rainbows every afternoon. One day when he didn't feel like cleaning his catch, he gave them to me. They were delicious, and the only pink-fleshed rainbows I've ever seen. I wonder what they were eating to get that coloration?
Well, you beat me, but not by much! I was fly fishing a stock tank near the house I just moved from, and wasn't catching much. I lifted my rod tip, executed a nice back cast, and watched a little bream sail past my head, solidly hooked. About 1.5" long. I just let the line straighten, then cast him back out, then had to strip the line in so I could take the fly (a small dry fly, about a size 14, IIRC, that just about filled his mouth) away from him. From now on, I guess I'll have to take pix of the little ones, too!
you bet, we have to take all the pats on the back we can.
This is a picture of my bluegill when she was a baby! I don't believe I have any pictures from when I first got her but she was the size of a quarter , very small minnow! LOL  Although now she is 7inches!

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
10 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
10 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
10 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
10 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
10 hours ago
10 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
Tuesday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
Tuesday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service