Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

What state would you choose to fish Bluegill if you could only pick one?

We are fortunate to have members from all over this great nation...One of my favorite things about Bigbluegill.com is the instant connection with the people that love and enjoy the same things that I do when it comes to all things Bluegill from folks all over the country.....Many of us have also had the great experience of fishing several different states whether vacationing, traveling for work or as a result of moving..... If you could pick one state to fish Bluegill, what state would it be and why? Thanks for sharing and I expect this may be a difficult choice for some and very easy for others.....Again, thanks in advance!

Views: 12617

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Alabama is a great choice especially if you're a resident......I've read about big bluegill in Alabama for 40 years not too mention the World record and the other one just below that one.....I saw the replica mounts of those two big bluegill in an I-20 gas station years ago when I was driving across to Toledo Bend Reservoir and it was always inspiring....You're retired now Vic....go fish all of them and share your catch with us........Alabama will always be represented well when it comes to catching bluegill!

I would have to pick my home state of Minnesota.  Not because it is the best place for trophey gills (though we have our fair share of good size fish) but because I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.  I love the lakes here in this state............:-) 

Down here in south florida the gills grow year round. I dont catch gargantuans but a 10 inch coppernose is very common. I havent had the opportunity to fish specifically for gills on the flyrod in other states yet.  All I can say is during April, May  and June they are plentiful and fun to catch.  When I retire it will be one of my continuing passions.  

My vote would be the Low Country of South Carolina. Not only does it have great fishing, the scenery is beautiful. The places to visit and the history make that area a real treasure. But again.....Jeffrey's Eastern North Carolina would be hard to pass up, along with Louisianna swap country. Leo is right also, the area along the Colorado River has some great fishing and scenery too. I think I might have to retire soon......   

Steve, remember, when you retire to an area for the remaining of you enjoyable period, you have to factor in quite a few criteria:

1. Tolerable conditions: are you willing to put up with hot/cold/humid/dry climate, and in different seasonal changes? You know..southern warmer climates are best all around for early to late season fishing, while giving up very very very little break time for the fish to go into dormant stages. Florida sounds better to me every time. However, AZ and inland deserts near the Colorado River is prime on my list. I have to talk to Dennis more on this.

2. Possible extra income: location where you can consider in working extra hours from your spare time to gain some new expensive toys, which other wise may drain your 401K, 900K, 1.5M, Retirement accounts? A good location as a safe house would be great if you're planning to hijack a payroll vehicle.

3. Sport factors: for me, I want fishing to be a priority. However, my kids and grand kids will be fanatics for water sports, as well as snow, land, and aerial sports. So, I have to keep that as an open mind as well.

I know Bruce, Tony, Walt, and Dick are golden with their investment. Me..I guess I'm still in the market for a suitable location for my retirement. Hm..just have to wait until all my kids are kicked out of the nest first to fly on their own.

Any new members care to weigh in? I like the passion the members are displaying when it comes to their favorite locations......My top three are as follows:

1. North Carolina: The coppernose along with abundant water take the cake...

2. South Carolina: Too many years experience there and a 2 pound 4 ounce Gill...What can I say...

3. Louisiana: Growing up in the Sportsman's Paradise with family that loved to fish and 7 stocked ponds at Grandma's....If I was still fishing Toledo Bend every year it might could be # 1!

As far as numbers of large bluegills( 1lb. plus on a scale ) , I would give my vote to Iowa. I use to fish some super clear sand pits, with little shoreline cover near Muscatine IA. and got schooled on clear water presentations. I have had  the good fortune to fish the following states for gills, IA,IL,MO,WI,MN,KY, FL,AL,and of coarse my home here in GA. My best gill was caught here in GA. 1lb. 10oz. I always said if I ever hit the lottery, I want to start fishing the spawn in  FL, and follow it all the way to Canada. It never hurts to dream. lol 

I like to have a plan......and yours is a good one Vince.....You can bet that if I won the lottery it would benefit bluegill anglers someway, somehow!

The great thing about bluegill is that you can catch them almost anywhere. Sticking with Indiana love the challenge of catching good fish in all the different seasons including through the ice.

Amen to that Mike....I enjoy seeing and reading about the Ice gills myself having never done it.......

I'll have to say West Island in Greene County, Indiana.  It was my fishing hole growing up and it holds the biggest bluegills that I have ever seen. 

Now if I could just thin out all the dinky bass the smaller bluegill might have a chance to make it instead of being gobbled up. 

Thanks Goose.....Size matters!

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
4 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
4 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
5 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
5 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
5 hours ago
5 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
23 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service