Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

As I turn the last page of the “SLIP’S 2017 LOGS, STATUS AND STRATEGIES” log book on an astounding year of angling… I think back on the initial strategies and goals for the year. I wanted to tag at least (4) Trophy Master Angler Panfish and that would include one thru the ice which would be a PB using that method. i ended up with 2 trophy P.Seeds thru the ice with a PB at 9.8" as well as (13) total Master Anglers thru the rest of the open water season!

To accomplish this feat I would greatly scale down my presentations to micro lite equipment… rods, reels, lines and baits. Careful considerations of lines were incorporated into my methods which would not exceed 2# mono diameter…  and superlines that would approach 8# test or above to handle the trophy quality of fishes sought.

I would also aim to make my time on the water more productive by timing the trips with solunar periods… majors and minors on New and Full Moons. I've discovered big fish follow the moon… period! 2017 proved that especially considering the hard water Ice Period. I was on the big fish spots on the peak periods and it paid off!... BIGly!!!

I think I coined a phrase “Fishing for the Numbers by the Numbers” by incorporating all methods and strategies to gain my odds on the water for numbers as well as numbers of trophies. By the end of the day and all the numbers were tallied for 2017 I broke many records for the Master Angler Progam in at least 2 counties.

Im hoping for an even better season for 2018 and success for the fishermen following BBG!

Ken

Views: 195

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

20180103----~~<")))))><(---*Hard Water Period*--81%/Ice°

…even though we are recording over 10" of ice... weather conditions have been so harsh with health threatening wind chills has kept me off the ice looking on the horizon of avg temps of 29 degs to get back on.

…temperature graph showing below normal temps for the month of January. looking like 20-30" of ice by the end of January. might be fishing thru the ice March this year!

...revised forecast!... significant warming trend with cold nights... awesome

20180106----~~<")))))><(---*Hard Water Period*--14%/Ice°

...it' been over 60 days without the tug!

I was angry because tomorrow will be 7 days..........hope you're able to get out safely real soon!

...thanks Jeff... a warmup coming for us next week ... one day forecasted mid-40's... anytime ice fishing above mid 20's is great with me. i might have to break down and get an ice shelter...for now my wife’s goldfish in the garden pond are at risk … LOL

RSS

Latest Activity

Bob Gaines commented on Bob Gaines's photo
Thumbnail

"Water is rising fast... a few feet in the last week. They say it's going up about 25 feet…"
2 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's status
"Your math is right Slip.......one of the Weather Channel folks had me going on the…"
3 hours ago
Michael Stockelman joined Slip Sinker's group
4 hours ago
Slip Sinker commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's status
"...this cold weather pattern is really taking it's toll... some winter fish-kill down in…"
5 hours ago
Slip Sinker commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's status
"...hmmm... im coming up with 61 days"
5 hours ago
Keith Ritter replied to Lord of the Fly , Rods's discussion RENDEZVOUS V , 2018
"I knew you would see that Slip. You could thrown anything in there that day. The waxie stayed on…"
6 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a status
"Forty -Two days until Spring......that seems a long way off when some places in Northeast North Carolina received a foot of snow overnight!"
7 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Bob Gaines's photo
Thumbnail

"Very nice Bob.......what is your opinion on the level changes in Lake Perris?  How will it…"
7 hours ago
mike needles commented on mike needles's photo
Thumbnail

"Thanks. That is from my early days of attempting flies. I’ve since switched to tying jigs and…"
13 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on mike needles's photo
Thumbnail

"Looks Great!"
13 hours ago
Bob Gaines's photo was featured

Lake Perris, Decemeber, 2017.
yesterday
mike needles commented on mike needles's photo
Thumbnail

1st 2018 trip

"No it’s not deep under this bridge. There are a couple holes in there tho. It was slim…"
yesterday
Slip Sinker posted a discussion

what ever happened to "Featured Photos"

... its been months since it's been updated?See More
yesterday
Slip Sinker commented on mike needles's photo
Thumbnail

1st 2018 trip

"....looks like a quality spot... i fish a similar looking spot just a short walk from my house. any…"
yesterday
Slip Sinker commented on Bob Gaines's photo
Thumbnail

"....nice!... quality fish right there"
yesterday
mike needles posted a photo
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on Bob Gaines's photo
Thumbnail

"Nice coppernose."
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on john's status