Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

I've established five elements to make up my personal Panfish Slam for 2016.  I love fishing for bluegill but this will give me added drive and determination when I hit the water next year........I will update periodically through the year and add testimony along the journey.......

1.  I want to land and document a two pound copper from Wood Duck Pass next season.......got very close in 2015 after resting this water in 2014...........it has been exceptional over the years but I've caught and released gills up to 1.43 pounds in this location and hope that may pay off in 2016.........This place was a special find and is magical at times especially in years with a big grass shrimp hatch............

2.  Catch my personal best Flier on Tulls Bay..........2015 was a great numbers and quality season for local fliers but the personal best fish eluded me.......600 fliers were caught in the Tulls Bay region so I'm focused to take advantage in this region........Ms. Twia Gates of Florida tied the World Record this year and has provided a lot of motivation for me as well........Congrats to her on her certified World Record Flier...............

3.  I would like to catch a pair of 13" and/or 2 pound "swamp" crackers on Bagley's Swamp........Got very close in 2015 and I'm intending to use whole bloodworms during the peak for the bigguns.......The cracker fishing is improving annually on the Albemarle in my opinion.......They will be on the way to Tim Overbaugh if I get them!

4. Tidal Crappie are traditionally smaller than their lake dwelling cousins in North Carolina but I'm hopeful to add a 17.5" brackish water slab during next year's slam..........

5. Finally I have rested a very special location and perhaps my all time favorite destination for bluegill. With the arrival of 2016 the gate to Rebellion Creek will be opened again and I would truly love to weigh a 30 fish bluegill creel in at 30 pounds............The North Carolina limit is (30) so that is the genesis of the creel number......I would like to weigh them and safely release them which will be a challenge once the water warms up for the Summer but this is very possible on Rebellion.........I've been close several times since 1999 on this body of water and we are going on 13 years without a major fish kill which increases my chances for success.....I would give up the others to achieve this mark.........

More to come in the months ahead as the story comes to life..........

Views: 294

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This will be very challenging but the most important element with any fishing goal is to have fun and enjoy the pursuit.........I don't want to turn my hobby into a stressful event........it will be fun to see how it turns out............

A truer statement Jeffrey.

I have the greatest of confidence you will get  all; or at least most of these Jeffery;; biggest thing is; like you said; is to have fun !  and fishing for blue gills;; nothing but fun !  have a happy new year; and with it comes new; personal quest !

Thanks Carl.........it should be fun to pursue........I rode down to Rebellion Creek for the first time in over eight months yesterday.......it would have been to tempting to go before now since it is off limits in 2015.........

Thanks Ray and I understand.........I now have 16 years invested on the Albemarle and there was so much to learn in the beginning..............it has paid off to document my trips and study the tendencies........it is an amazing public fishery Good luck to you in 2016.....

Wow, Jeffrey...all of these are indeed worthy and lofty goals...for a lifetime...let alone a single year of angling!

I usually set a few goals like that each year, succeeding once in a while, in the acheivemnet of them.For this past year 2015, I had set none, due mainly to some medical issues that my wife and I knew we had to deal with. But I was pleasantly surprised when my actual 'fish count' on the year went over 5000...a personal best, and I landed a 13 inch hybrid sunfish at slightly over 2 1/4 pounds...another PR. They just came about, with no intended effort for them. 

Good luck in all of these pursuits for exceptional, trophy-class sunfish species. Keep us posted!

Thanks Jim and congrats on your great season........it's been enjoyable to read and keep up........I might have been better served to wait a few more years until retirement but what the heck................who knows when the next big storm will hit and turn everything over.......2003 was the last major set back........I may not reach any of them but good things should happen if I'm trying.........lots of potential in these waters and I just enjoy sharing what it has to offer..........The flier thing will just stay with me as long as I fish these waters..............The pursuit of trophy sunfish is my life's hobby........it consumes me 365 and the only medicine is to stay on the pointy end of the hook!

With Spring 2016 only one moon away........I'm reminded of the lofty personal goals I challenged my self with for the year........I've caught some really fine black crappie thus far in 2016 including several slabs already this month but none that would qualify for the 17.5 inch bar. Here's three fish that fall between 14 and 15 inches but still all over 2" short of my goal.......I'll keep pushing!

THATS SOME HUGE CRAPPIE ANY WHERE JEFFERY !

Thanks Carl.......crappie like these will never disappoint me.........just like to raise the bar and keep some pressure on myself..........LOL

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
15 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
18 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's status
"An Instrumental Guitar recording of mine to commemorate. …"
Sunday
John Sheehan posted a status
"Trout Season opens April 6th in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for stocking."
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
"My favorites through the Years: Manns Jelly Worm, Manns Auger tail, Charlie Brewers 4" on a…"
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
Sunday
Sunday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

"Thank you, Jeffrey!"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service