Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Today, i caught my biggest ever bluegill fishing in my new found honey hole. it was in a small lake in milsboro maryland. this place is like fishing in an aquarium. the water is crystal clear and there are bluegill, bass, pumkinseeds, turtles, perch, and i suspect to find redear and crappie in time. the water is maybe 4 feet deep in this hole and you can see bottom like its 4 inches of water. i just cast my worm under the bridge and when i feel that subtle strike... ooooh look at that one! i dont have a size or weight or anything, but he was big by anyone's standards (except you lucky minnesota guys!)

tell me about yours.

Views: 340

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds like you need a digital camera Trevor,....to capture all the goodness bluegill fishing has to offer!.....I've had great success with the Olympus 1050 SW stylus.....durable, waterproof, shockproof, freezeproof, affordable, and shoots video above and below the waterline..

Congrats on your personal best.....I love clear water and pursue it every chance I get!
P.S. It's always a good idea to have a tape measure for those special moments.
well, i had a tape measure, but my dad threw him back before i had a chance! id estimate he was 9 and a half to ten inches.

This topic kind of got off topic. it was supposed to be to let everyone tell about their personal best gills.
The best one I caught yesterday wasn't a whole lot different from the worst one. They were all pretty much the same, fought like them kick boxers you see on TV. Every one of 'em.

Now that heavyweight division you're probably talking about. I've had them break lines, knots, hooks and poles. Those were the best ones I ever caught. Well....almost caught.

Nothing fights like a gill. I'm a little scared of 'em sometimes.

Boogieman
my personal best gill was caught a few weeks back, it was 9 7/8 inches long, just short of the master angler of 10" here in nebraska.
My personal best is 11 and 1/2 inches of gill from a little pond in Iowa. I am lucky enough to live on this pond with a bunch of Bass nuts that have pushed the size of the Bass up to the point that the little gills are weeded out and the bigger ones have more food to get bigger. Couldn't even get my hand around the freaking thing. Turned it loose to catch it again when it is bigger and badder. Good fishin!
Hey Ryan,
Down south we call those you can't get your hand around "BellyBream", cause that's what you hold 'em up against to get the hook out!

Boogieman
Yeah, here in N. Fla. we call them t____ bream! Can't grab em so you have to...
Trevor, my best so far is the one that lives on my wall. She' a solid 12". I caught her 12-13years ago. I was fishing gills at the time, I like to make that point because, so many fishermen up here will catch a monster gill while walleye fishing. I hate walleye fishing. I'm now on a quest for a bigger gill. I do alot of research on the lake in my area via the web and believe it or not I just ask around. You see, no one up here but, a few of us, gives a rip about bluegill! And that my friend is just fine by me! Congrats on your recent success!
My personal best was a female shellcracker got a few weeks back. She was 11 1/2 inches.
My personal best is 10 5/8" from Florida and two 10" from ice fishing in private lake in northern Illinois. My son's personal best is 11" Redear Sunfish from southern Illinois!
We release all bluegills from 8" and up for the future trophy 'gills!
Bring digital camera and ruler with you all the time! I bought measure tape from a craft store. Also you can buy it from a dollar store. I cutted short measure tape that I need is a 18" for bluegills and big crappies!
My personal best was 8-3/4" in a public lake near me.
I caught 2 this year over 10" - both Bluegill and Both Female. The larger was an honest 10.5" and the other was just shy. Great fish the both of them, but I caught a couple males that while less than 10" fought much harder.

Funny, the larger one came from the hardest fished lake of the 3 that I fish regularly. I fish it more often because it is conveinient. I need to spend a little more time on the other 2 lakes. (Central NY State)

FH

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
17 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
20 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's status
"An Instrumental Guitar recording of mine to commemorate. …"
Sunday
John Sheehan posted a status
"Trout Season opens April 6th in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for stocking."
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
"My favorites through the Years: Manns Jelly Worm, Manns Auger tail, Charlie Brewers 4" on a…"
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
Sunday
Sunday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

"Thank you, Jeffrey!"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service