Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Hi my name is Ray and I am new to this forum. I am interested in making my own marabou jigs and

I would like to know what is the best way to learn how to tie them. I never used them for bluegill but

I have used them for Rainbow trout and I think it would be fun to make my own.

Views: 3722

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Dick . I've had success with my feather ,fur and Bucktail jigs .Never tied a Marabou .'bout time I try .

All I can say is John don't be stingy like I was and tie a little piece on. Tooty showed me how and he puts the whole piece of marabou on and it works great. I put a thread base down wrap in my marabou and glue the heck out of the thread so it won't come undone and holds the marabou in forever, not to say it won't be shy of feathers down the road the little fish tend to bite at the marabou some times nipping some off, marabou is tender and breaks off easy.

Looks like they give you some things to get started but I'm sure down the road you'll want a better vise but learn first then decide. You have some things that you will need but lots that you won't. You wanted to tie jigs so a lot of the items you may or may not use. Things you will need Marabou, cement, chenille, thread. You will have to invest in some plane jigs. I'm sure after you start tying you will start wondering towards flies so you will use most of the kit. Good luck have fun if you need some help let me ore anybody know your only a fingertip away from help and show us some pics of things you tie.

Kelly , is Dick Tabbert not the nicest guy? Yes he is!

Already have a ton of jigs-probably 3-400 already painted. Cement I got covered and same with the thread. For marabou figured I could find enough in the isle at wally world-at least there was a bunch yesterday. Couldn't find any chenille but I'm sure my wife will know where to go-she is a suburb seamstress.

I am sure to be tying some sort of bug look a like with beaded head, etc in regular flies too. Back when I fly fished the wooly worm was one of my favorites.

Can one still buy those little strips of lead-used to come in a match book type unit?

Fly tying chenille is a little different that chenille you may incorporate into a dress as you get started you will see all that. I seen there was some chenille in the fly tying kit you may want to look at that 1st before you buy any more up so you get the right stuff. What size jigs have you got Kelly. You can buy lead round of flat. I use mostly round but you can get the flat with an adhesive back and cut it any size or shape you wish. Kelly I'm going to send you a friends request so if you want you can accept or deny no problem here on what ever you wish to do.

Kelly;; welcome to the bottomless pit!!

:)  :) Love it!

Kelly;;  you know you will have help if needed buddy!  we all love to help out.  what are you going to try first?? 

First am going to use some of my jig heads to tie something with them.

Then make some creatures on regular hooks.

Maybe later this summer when things settle down with this moving and getting the new place organized I will give it a try. Hope to have some ready to bring to Reelfoot :)

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz

"Beauties Troy!"
Sunday
Troy Dorman posted a photo
Sunday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz shellcracker

"Great cracker daily double! Congrats Troy….."
Sunday
dick tabbert commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Saturday
Troy Dorman posted a photo
Friday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"This year my old Rattle Traps have been catching again in the 3",1/2 oz, and 3,5",3/4oz…"
Friday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"The Rattle Traps over the windy flats have called Fish up and done well. 2 mid sized and two…"
Thursday
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far.  "
Thursday
Thursday
Thursday
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far. "
Thursday
John Sheehan posted photos
Thursday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Tracy."
Thursday
tracy willis commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Apr 17
tracy willis commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"toad!!"
Apr 17
dick tabbert posted a photo

Big rubber soider

Prototype of a big rubber spider 3x3" with a #4 2xl hook.
Apr 17
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

Vince with two nice ones

"Thanks, Jeff! Yes, he's soon to be 16!"
Apr 16
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"Ah! That's the Mustache!"
Apr 16
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"This is the one I caught the perch on. Mushtache Minnow."
Apr 16
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"John, it's a mess but as soon as the mustache minnow gets wet it takes on the looks of a…"
Apr 16

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service