Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

How do I get these BG to bite during the day when they are in deeper water?

Hey guys,

I have been catching BG pretty good just before dark when they are in the shallows feeding, but I can't seem to catch them during the day when they move out to the deeper waters.

I have access to a rowboat and a depthfinder. The depthfinder was saying they were all around us when we were anchored in about 7-9 ft of water casting in to about a foot away from cattails on the shore. I tried everything trying to get something to bite in the deeper water, but nothing would even take a nibble.

I want to be able to catch these guys in the deeper water...what do I have to do? I'm in West Michigan if that matters...I'm thinking about buying a waterproof thermometer so I can find out the water temp out deeper.

Hoping some of you have better experiences with this and can help!

Thanks,

-CD

Views: 2431

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great tip Ken!

craig one or two things that i do is first find the thermocline.water layers this time of year and is low in oxygen below a cetain depth.turn the sensitivity on your depth finder up until you start to see layers in the water.below a certain depth the clutter on the screen should be darker or lighter but you will see layers.the deeper water is cooler but the fish will not spend much time down there because of low oxygen.now you know where they are not.they are also not in the shallows at midday.the thermocline near me is usually 15 to 20 feet.if you have a spring fed BOW.or flowing water may not be a themocline.                     the second thing i do is troll or drift.i use tiny beetle spin type baits or chin spins like road runners.i put whatever size split shot about 18 inches above the lure to keep it at the depth i want.cast as far as i can behind the boat.speed is whatever gets the blades turning and you can see the tip vibrating.most fish will hook themselves.i tip with a wax worm and the plastic of your choice.cruise the weed lines watch your graph and enjoy the scenery.we have caught 100s of open water gills crappies and white bass this way.

Even more great tips, Jim!

Jim ... good point. if the lake does stratify it is a barrier floor that fish do not cross. to pass would be low oxygen levels. just recently i fished a lake that thermoclined at about 17 ft. so i concentrate my efforts at 17 ft or shallower. i basically ignore the suspended fish over deeper water they are in most cases not actively feeding. i recently snapped a pic off my depth sounder while my boat was over deeper water and a thermocline at about 17 ft. the fish while passing under my boat dropped right down to the level of the thermocline without crossing! i suspended my ice jig right in their midst without a touch. who knows they could of been a school of carp or neutral fish.

it is the first thing i look for in deep open water.been my experience that fish suspending deep are neutral.thats why we slow troll with little spinners over them.i think you get a reaction strike.dropping bait into them doesn't seem to work like it does ice fishing

It's a good point: suspended fish in open water are neutral.
Think about it - there isn't much there for them, and unless they are pelagic by nature, it's out of their comfort zone. This suggests something other than feeding motivates them to be there.

Man you guys are the smartest fish dudes I know.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

late April Bully

"That's a whippy 4 piece Eagle Claw rod I used there .6'6""
10 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

late April Bully

"You bet Jeff !They swim around pretty quickly then start rollin'.Feisty characters."
10 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

late April Bully

"Got on the bullies…….they’re fun to catch on panfish gear John…."
23 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

Mixed bag!

"Panfish blitz….l"
23 hours ago
Thumbnail

2lb7oz., 1lb14oz., and 1lb10oz.

"Crazy…..very nice!"
23 hours ago
Thumbnail

My personal best redear

"Congratulations Troy…….fish of a lifetime……"
23 hours ago
dick tabbert commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

My personal best redear

"Awesome fish Troy."
Sunday
tracy willis commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

My personal best redear

"congrats.  very nice shellcracker."
Saturday
John Sheehan commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

My personal best redear

"Congratulations Troy!"
Saturday
Troy Dorman posted photos
Saturday
Troy Dorman posted a photo
Friday
jim cosgrove commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"like minds"
Thursday
jim cosgrove commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thursday
John Sheehan posted photos
Thursday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks to everyone."
Apr 24
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Jim."
Apr 24
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Black Beetle

"NICE LOOKING BUG DICK........."
Apr 24
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz

"WOW NICE ONES BUDDY......."
Apr 24
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"NICE PERCH BUDDY......"
Apr 24
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"You bet Jim! I thought that was cool too!  "
Apr 24

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service