Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

How do I get these BG to bite during the day when they are in deeper water?

Hey guys,

I have been catching BG pretty good just before dark when they are in the shallows feeding, but I can't seem to catch them during the day when they move out to the deeper waters.

I have access to a rowboat and a depthfinder. The depthfinder was saying they were all around us when we were anchored in about 7-9 ft of water casting in to about a foot away from cattails on the shore. I tried everything trying to get something to bite in the deeper water, but nothing would even take a nibble.

I want to be able to catch these guys in the deeper water...what do I have to do? I'm in West Michigan if that matters...I'm thinking about buying a waterproof thermometer so I can find out the water temp out deeper.

Hoping some of you have better experiences with this and can help!

Thanks,

-CD

Views: 2431

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well Allen... welllll..... yes, I can manage both. 

But I was thinking more like reshaping an existing ball jig. Take a 1/32 jig head and make it INTO a standy-uppy jig. Something like that.

Probably just shave off some of the bottom to make it flat. Or use a concave die made to accept the hook eye of an exiting jig and hammer form flatties that way.

I could talk to my machinist friend, though. He's also a fisherman.

Craig where ever you catching them just before dark go out to the deepest weed line break. Don't be afraid to use crawler not worms but crawlers. Sometimes it hard but if you catching them just before dark you have half the battle won they won't be far from that area just deeper. Hope this works for you and try to keep as quit as possible.

Why crawlers, Dick?

Thats what's been working for me. I tried jigs they follow but no takers I tried Red Worms I got a couple then I put on a half of a crawler and then I couldn't keep up. I just think all that meat on one hook they couldn't resist it. That my opinion cause the fish wouldn't  talk and spit it out.

I wonder if the night crawler also has some sort of special 'odor' that appeals to fish.

I dont know if odor is the right notion, but you get my meaning. SO you use the worm in pieces, then? Ive havent used 'crawlers specifically, usually opting for reds or pinks. How do you get them into pieces?

Put them between your two thumb nails and index finger squeeze and pull apart at the same time or if your squeamish you can use scissors or a pocket knife  on a board.

Can nightcrawlers be raised in worm farms?

I'm still learning but I made the mistake and bought Canadian night crawler and they I'm told you can not. They have to be refrigerated all year. But they do catch fish. 

"When you are planning to breed Canadian nightcrawlers, you should be aware that they prefer cold weather and do not survive in temperatures that exceed 18 degrees Celcius. Raising Canadian nightcrawlers would require you to maintain a cold patch of ground (or bed) for breeding. They are light sensitive creatures, hence the area where they are bred should be kept dark."
It doesnt seem to be worth it unless you lived in the Northern Territories. European 'crawlers may be simpler - I dunno.

Now, meal worms, those seem pretty easy.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I have some research to do it sounds like.

I have kind of a funky idea I'm thinking about trying too, but I'll let you know how that turns out.

Wow, a whole 1/2 a crawler! That seems like a lot for them to take. How did you hook it? I'm used to using size 10 teardrops and jigs tipped with 1/2 a red worm or wax worm, I can't imagine fitting a whole 1/2 a crawler on such a tiny hook. What kind of setup are you using and how are you fishing it? What depth of water, structure, and time of day?

I use a long shank red true turn hooks don't recall the size. I thread it on threw the center about 1/2 the way and let the rest dangle from the end. The big gill won't have a problem they can take the whole 1/2 worn in, the small one's will try to pull it of and usually do.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

late April Bully

"That's a whippy 4 piece Eagle Claw rod I used there .6'6""
15 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

late April Bully

"You bet Jeff !They swim around pretty quickly then start rollin'.Feisty characters."
15 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

late April Bully

"Got on the bullies…….they’re fun to catch on panfish gear John…."
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

Mixed bag!

"Panfish blitz….l"
yesterday
Thumbnail

2lb7oz., 1lb14oz., and 1lb10oz.

"Crazy…..very nice!"
yesterday
Thumbnail

My personal best redear

"Congratulations Troy…….fish of a lifetime……"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

My personal best redear

"Awesome fish Troy."
Sunday
tracy willis commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

My personal best redear

"congrats.  very nice shellcracker."
Saturday
John Sheehan commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

My personal best redear

"Congratulations Troy!"
Saturday
Troy Dorman posted photos
Saturday
Troy Dorman posted a photo
Friday
jim cosgrove commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"like minds"
Thursday
jim cosgrove commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thursday
John Sheehan posted photos
Thursday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks to everyone."
Apr 24
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Jim."
Apr 24
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Black Beetle

"NICE LOOKING BUG DICK........."
Apr 24
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz

"WOW NICE ONES BUDDY......."
Apr 24
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"NICE PERCH BUDDY......"
Apr 24
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"You bet Jim! I thought that was cool too!  "
Apr 24

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service