Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

So I don't really know anyone who fly fishes, but I'm tired of waiting to find someone.  I've got the urge to learn.  There unfortunately are tons of rods.  I would like a little information/recommendation for a first timer like myself.  I would be targeting panfish, but there's always the chance at catching bass as well.

I would like a rod/reel setup for a budget, but one that would still be able to last me a few years before I grow out of it.

Views: 1587

Replies to This Discussion

You and me both Mark! I'm so fearful in getting the 2wt or 3wt because I'm a rod destroyer. This is why I got 3 Wonderods from Tooty, knowing that they 're semi-indestructible. I broke one of my 5wt already. However, I will learn to be more delicate, if I'm to enjoy ultralight fly fishing.

LEO DID YOU BREAK one of the rods I sent ya? Can't believe it if ya did.......

You wish Tooty! It's one of the old bamboo close to two decades ago, and a graphite one I got from Bass Pro. This is why I switched back to fiberglass and up to carbon.

NO LEO DON'T WISH YOU BROKE ONE CAUSE IT WOULD BREAK MY HEART BUDDY !! GLAD IT WAS SOME OTHER ROD, HOWEVER IF YOU EVER DO BREAK ONE , SPECIALLY IN THE BUTT SECTION JUST SEND IT BACK AND IF I CAN FIX IT I WILL DO IT FOR FREE .......

WELL CHRIS THIS IS A DEEP SUBJECT AND LOTS OF DIFFERENT IDEA'S ON HERE FROM FOLK LOTS MORE KNOWLEDGEABLE THAN ME , BUT IF I CAN GIVE A HAND CALL ME ANYTIME 815-539-6596 UP TILL 1 AM MOST NIGHTS ..........ONE SUGGESTION , START OUT SLOW AND CHEAP TILL YA SEE IF YA LIKE IT OR NOT .........

I guess cheap is relative, I could have went cheaper for sure but Id didn't go expensive.  I bought a $90 combo from Cabelas.  That included line, real, rod and leader.  Picked up some tippets and a small box to store flys (came with tools too?)

I wont be fishing with it yet anyway since it's too cold so I have time to pick up the flys.  Should be here next week sometime.  We'll see how long it takes me before I can actually get the hang of it.

Unless you call when Tootys taking his nap!

alright chris!!  now you got a fly rod!!  what weight is it? the length? type of line? what name brand is the rod? is it carbon or fiberglass??   we can all help you ;; just need a bit of info.

It's a Cabelas Wind River Combo (905-4) in 5 weight.  It's their matching combo.

Does anyone use Tippet Rings?  They look like they make sense to use.  I'm just curious.

I use them. I pretie my own leaders, adding a tippet ring to them as a finishing step.
The 2mm-3mm rings seem about right for bluegill. Mine are 2mm.

I don't.  I just tie a loop in the end of my leader, and do a loop-to-loop connection.  On my furled leaders, they already have a loop at the end.

RSS

Latest Activity

tracy willis commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

My personal best redear

"congrats.  very nice shellcracker."
5 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

My personal best redear

"Congratulations Troy!"
7 hours ago
Troy Dorman posted photos
18 hours ago
Troy Dorman posted a photo
yesterday
jim cosgrove commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"like minds"
Thursday
Thursday
John Sheehan posted photos
Thursday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks to everyone."
Wednesday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Jim."
Wednesday
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Black Beetle

"NICE LOOKING BUG DICK........."
Wednesday
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz

"WOW NICE ONES BUDDY......."
Wednesday
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"NICE PERCH BUDDY......"
Wednesday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"You bet Jim! I thought that was cool too!  "
Wednesday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"Welcome Jim Cosgrove! Hope you enjoy the group !"
Wednesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Your pond Dick?Nice fish."
Wednesday
jim cosgrove joined John Sheehan's group
Wednesday
jim cosgrove replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"Thanks for sharing John.Especially how he came up with the name."
Wednesday
John Sheehan commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz

"Beauties Troy!"
Apr 21
Troy Dorman posted a photo
Apr 21
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz shellcracker