Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

BBG members.....a penny for your thoughts.

As I look around the pages and the photos posted here, I see a vast array of species portrayed alongside the almighty Lepomis......certainly our members are well versed anglers, capable of emerging triumphant during hand-to-fin combat with any number of fishes, but it gives me reason to ponder.

Just what constitutes a serious BG outing, or endeavor, where BBG folks are concerned?

Are you happy to just be fishing, content with a tug on your line from anything that swims, or have you set out on a mission, your quarry identified and targeted? I realize there are times when it's simply good to be outside and near the water, enjoying a simple pleasure in today's hectic world. I've been there myself. And I know there are instances where necessity comes into play....our good friend Jim Gronaw makes a living pursuing and writing about fish....All fish. And, understandably, It looks like he enjoys it greatly.

But what about those times when you're out to catch BG ( and I'm going to lump all lepomids together under this BG category....something I NEVER do!)......or do you ever set out with just that goal in mind? If you do, what constitutes the difference between a successful outing, and a skunk? I you don't catch many BG, but load up on Crappie and Catfish, was the day still a success? Or are you disappointed?

I'll stick my neck out, and admit that I am disappointed if I don't catch BG....that's what I'm fishing for. I quit multi-species angling some years ago, so if I catch something other than a Lepomid, it was probably by accident. Which does happen.....you can't always control what hits your jig, or picks up your bait....but that doesn't mean I have to be happy about it. And If I continue to catch non-targeted fish, I will move, or pack it up and head home.

So, in the spirit of conversation, and remembering that all legal practices, techniques, and personal practices are to be respected, what do the members of BBG consider a serious BG effort....or do you even believe in such a thing?

Views: 1761

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mike...those hp restricted/trolling motor only lakes are almost always better fisheries than those with greater access and horsepower. And never overlook those smaller 'park' lakes that people feed ducks at or have the pic-nic thing going on. I have made some sensational catches at tiny lakes within city and town limits. Keep them under the radar!

I have to agree with Jim.  I'm a kayaker, and I tend to stick to lakes that are smaller; most of which either do not allow gas engines on the water, or do not have a good launch site for bigger boats.  Those smaller lakes always have better fishing.

YA KNOW TONY ANOTHER INTERESTING QUESTION : WHEN I"m pond fishing I don't really care if I'm catching anything or not. I'm usually by myself anyway and no one to talk to so I just sit and enjoy the day of getting away from the stuff I should be doing anyway. Unlike you I don't have a pond close by of my own so when I go I have a rule . I like to be home for supper !!!!!!!!!! My wife is a great cook and baker. Other than that I usually have no time restraints or agenda's to fulfill.

Guess to me it's not about catching fish to take home anymore and find myself taking less fish for the freezer and just taking more pics. I love taking pics a lot better than cleaning fish ........
    Give ya a tip Tony , if you stay just a little longer at the pond next time maybe the next cast will yield your biggest fish to date !!!!!!!!! The work you think ya gotta do will still be there when ya get back to the house , no matter when that is . .............

Both David and Mike mention relaxation, or at least taking it easy....I think this is where I come up short. I have a hard time relaxing when I think there is work waiting to get done. And, I have an unfortunate tendency to create a lot of work for myself.

If I'm going to take time to go fishing, I want it to be productive, which to me, equates to catching. That's why I do everything I can to better myself as a BG angler....it doesn't have to mean catching lots of fish, especially if my goal is big BG....it just means doing all I can to maximize results for the time I have available to fish.

Tony I have fished for different reasons over the years. I worked in what many people would concider a high stress job that required a lot of travel and almost 24/7/365 access from work associates for years. When I was your age I was going a mile a minute with almost no down time so I had the same additude about fishing that you have. Gotta be productive! Nothing wrong with that. For me as I aged my priorites changed and my additude torward fishing changed. I love fishing! But now I also enjoy rigging rods, puttering with the boat etc. also.

No right or wrong way to enjoy fishing:) 

HOW RIGHT YOU ARE MIKE !!!!!!!! NO RIGHT OR WRONG WAY ..................

Make no mistake, I take fishing serious. When I fish, I try to catch.
When I don't, I'm disappointed. But I'm glad I went each time and count myself
Fortunate for another chance to do so.
In a buff believer in small victories.

Wow what a bunch of addicted fishermen we all are. we all seem to enjoy catching and eating .watching everything around us ,some of us share with others if it is possible ,we all seem to use different methods of catching ,and some who are better on the computer have the ability to taunt us others with their great catch or really great looking meals of all of us to savor over ,its really fun to visit this site and share and brag and enjoy us crazy as ever bluegill nuts. let us all enjoy our wonderful creation and watch and protect it for generations to come

I walk, talk and stalk bluegills year round. The only thing that would make me more of a gill nuisance would be ice fishing but many things steer us in life and my favorite species just doesn't play in those conditions anyway so I dig at my winter calendar and enjoy the awesome posts here on BBG. I enjoy catching big bluegill the most but don't mind the occassional crappie or predator bite either but I rarely target the later. I often get asked how the bass fishing is by virtue of chasing gills from a quote "bass boat" , but I giggle inside and head to one of my favorite bluegill holes and act like a little kid again. But I was taught a long time ago that any day fishing is a "free day" and a bad day fishing is better than a good day at work. Folks I don't hate my job but I've never had a bad day fishing! It's what I love and what I do regardless of the outcome. 

I'll sum it up like this....when I see a cow in the field I think "ribeye", when I see a body of water I think , "wonder if there's any bluegill in there?"  Right or wrong that's how I'm wired......

"I'll sum it up like this....when I see a cow in the field I think "ribeye", when I see a body of water I think , "wonder if there's any bluegill in there?"  Right or wrong that's how I'm wired......

"

How about that? Same here!!

One of my favorite freshwater spots in Virginia is a canal that is absolutely LOADED with big fat gills, crackers and red breast. (and of course hybrids). I go there often with either a fly rod or an ultralight spinning rig and some ice jigs. I am after the above mentioned species only. If I happen to catch LMB, SMB, crappie or catfish, I don't get upset, but I feel like it's a distraction to what I'm there for. Now, when a 3 lb chain pickerel bites through my line and I have to tie on a new bait, that'll get me cursing a little, but such is life.

I fish for lots of stuff...everything mentioned above, plus yellow perch, carp, rock bass, and all the usual salt water surf fishing suspects. But there is definitely something magical about bream fishing in the south. And I just know that one day, I'll have my 2 pounder on light tackle.

Visit Richmond Mil there in VA and the Kingfisher Society will will give all the chances you can handle at a 2 pounder. 600$/day and you even get lunch.

You mentioned flies. What flies work best for you?

RSS

Latest Activity

dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Tracy."
2 hours ago
tracy willis commented on Troy Dorman's photo
5 hours ago
tracy willis commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"toad!!"
5 hours ago
dick tabbert posted a photo

Big rubber soider

Prototype of a big rubber spider 3x3" with a #4 2xl hook.
8 hours ago
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

Vince with two nice ones

"Thanks, Jeff! Yes, he's soon to be 16!"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"Ah! That's the Mustache!"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"This is the one I caught the perch on. Mushtache Minnow."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"John, it's a mess but as soon as the mustache minnow gets wet it takes on the looks of a…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on Troy Dorman's photo
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Yeah, growing some Slab Perch there Dick! A mustache?"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Jeffrey."
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

These were caught on redworms

"Nice mixed catch……."
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

Vince with two nice ones

"Nice daily double…..Vince is growing up!"
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Nice perch anywhere Dick…"
yesterday
dick tabbert posted photos
yesterday
Troy Dorman posted photos
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on tracy willis's photo
Thumbnail

nice pan of gills

"Nice mixed bag…..enjoy the fry!"
Monday
tracy willis posted a photo

nice pan of gills

eater size gills and shellcrackers. fairly easy to catch a mess since they nest raiding bass and…
Monday
Thumbnail

Flying carpenter ant

"Very generous offer Dick!"
Monday
Thumbnail

Flying carpenter ant

"I believe sinking Dick. "
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by