Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Hi Everyone,
Just wondering what everyones favorite lure to use to catch bluegills is. I would have to say my personal favorite is gitzit lil tough guys with a piece of worm or something on it and a float the bluegills and panfish hit pretty good on them.
Let me know what your favorite lure is
Thanks
scott

Views: 2848

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Scott,

I prefer a patterson jig, preferably white head and a chartruese body, tiped with a
live bee moth. Hold on to your rod and let the fun begin.

Good Luck
Dave R.
I just signed on to this site, looks like a great place to talk bluegills...A great year round lure for me has been a #10 or 12 Genz worm with a 3/4 in brown/cream colored tube..some times with a wax worm stuck on for good measure....
My favorite bluegill lure has been a Cubby Mini Mite 1/32 oz. jig. I keep returning to a black jig head with a chartreuse body. Tipped with a wax worm or spikes, I'll catch bluegill if they're nearby. Sometimes you can even tip with Gulp! maggots (green or natural) and still catch bluegill.

At least in my mind, I think that switching to the larger Cubby Mini Mite 1/16 oz. jig will give less action but larger bluegill.

I prefer to cast this lure to a deeper weedline of at least 6 feet deep and bobber fish with a delicate bobber (pencil thin, small enough to be visible). The bluegill will take it if present and the largemouth bass like these lures also. Have caught 4 pound bass on the black/chartreuse Cubby Mini Mite 1/32 oz. jig. I've also fished weed pockets with good success with this setup.

I sometimes fish with with the Cubby Mini Mite 1/32 oz. jig with a dropper 1/128 oz. tiny jigfly 10 inches above it tipped with a spike or two. The technique works well everywhere.

I'm glad to find www.bigbluegill.com as a website. I look forward to trying these other bluegill techniques next spring.

Always wear a lifejacket when you fish.

Kayak Rich
I really like the Gitzit Micro Tough Guy tipped with a waxworm or a Diamond Eye Jig tipped with a waxworm or a spike for gills through the ice. In open water, a 1/32 ounce yellow Beetle Spin can be great.
This is just between us, right? So there's no reason to upset the fly-fishing purists?

My go-to bluegill "bug" is a 1/124th oz. lead-head jig inserted in a 1.5" skirted tube. The two best color combinations I've found are black bodies with chartreuse skirts (early and late in the day) and black bodies with hot pink skirts (mid-day sun). I fish the microjigs with homemade fluoro furled leaders and fluoro tippet, letting the jig sink to the desired depth, then retrieving it with short (3-6") strips. Whenever the tip of my flyline does something I cannot immediately explain, I set the hook. Sometimes it's a fish.
Fiska Jigs #4MM Tungston.

Firetiger or what the Color Of Water ( Clear, Stained or Muddy ) And Light Conditions for the day ( Cloudy, Partially or Sky Blue ).

2 lbs mono & St Croix indicators on every rod tip.

Little Adam Plastic's (esp. Glow) Waxies , Mousies , Euro Larva & Wigglers as well as Goldenrod Gall grubs
I do not really have a favorite lure, but have several colors that work great almost all the time on the ponds, small lakes, and creeks that I fish here in Northern Kentucky. Chartreuse, white, purple, pink, black and yellow seem to work very well. I have lots of action with the Bass pro shops triple ripple brubs tipped with a waxworm or crappie nibble(silver). I like to try many different types of lures and live baits. Even raw hotdogs work great in these local ponds- you would be surprised how big some of these bluegill are when using the hot dogs. Anything to catch the world record!!
I use live bait most of the time, Crawlers, crickets, you name it.
I just bought a panfish video from infisherman and they talk about
crankbaits like a grasshopper 1". I was just wondering if anyone
uses crankbaits for bluegills.
This year I want to try different types of lures and use live bait
only when I have to. Just to mix things up once in a while. This old
dog wants to learn new tricks.
go to groups... you'll see us.
For the past three years I've been usein mostly Maki micro plastics rigged on small jigs (1/32 to 1/64 oz.) fished under slip bobbers of various sizes. Freshwater shrimp are very popular for bait here in Fla. and Maki makes a great shrimp imitation. Put one of these on a jig and drop it into holes in the weed matts and hang on.
Last year our ,first day out after ice, my brother Greg and I backtrolled in the wind near a Rock bluff and caught eight bluegill on 32nd oz. black jigs.We tied the jigs with rabitt fur.
Here in cental Ky. we use popeyes year round. We tip them with a waxworm or Berkley crappie nibble. We fish them under a small float. For those who don't know what a popeye is,they are small leadhead jigs with a largepainted eyeball. They have feather on them. we use small 1/64 or 132 weight. Any color will work here,but we have better luck on black and yellow,white, or chartreuse. They are my favorite bait for bluegill.I keep some in my billfold at all times! The only time I use anything else is when they are spawning. Then I fish redworms directly on the beds.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
7 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
7 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
7 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
7 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
7 hours ago
7 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service