Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Although technically the New Year is not here yet, I went ahead and totaled up our catch numbers for the 2014 season. I'll be doing at least two more scheduled trips before the new year, but they will be carp ventures with my man Mr Bob. The short story on the final count looks like this...

Bluegills...2794...includes p-seeds, hybrids, greenies and redbreasts and red ears

Bass, Largemouth and Smallmouth...648

Crappies...434

Channel Cats...10

Fallfish...4

Carp...1

White Bass...1

Total Fish for Team Gronaw...3892. The panfish and bass numbers are new PR's for us, panfish totals at 3228. Other notables are new PR's for bass through the ice-38, largest bass through the ice-22 inches. Matt got a personal best channel cat at 32 inches and approx 14 pounds. We caught 7 hybrids over 12 inches this year, with a 1-14 and a 1-13 being the heaviest. Caught my largest 'pole-n-line' fish...a 7 pound cattie...on a 13 ft crappie pole by B&M. Managed a couple 10 inch Pumpkinseeds (very rare around here) and a PR pumpkingill hybrid at 10.325 inches. We kept 152 panfish to eat this year, less than 4% of our total catch.

Had our best bass year ever and I managed 17 fish over the 20 inch mark, five of which came through the ice. Approximately 300 bass were in excess of 3 pounds as we have great farmpond bassing in our region. Also caught my largest ever 'public water' largemouth...a 24 incher from Piney Run Lake while trolling shiners for stripers.

All in all, a great year, with friends and family, fishing mostly close to home. Looking forward to 2015!

Views: 193

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Congrats Jim !!  That is a great year !!...... Getting all of the new PR's is a great accomplishment.

Great year Jim. I'm glad guys like you and others on this site practice catch and release a sign of a true fisherman. Its all about that next bite and is this that giant I've been after not saying fresh fish now and then taste great. You gotta admire you guys and your next bite and like me I know you get as much enjoyment out of the release. GOOD FISHIN my friend and hoping next years gets even better.

Love the details.......for a long time I thought I was the only one that kept detailed logs.......this started for me back in grade school when I kept records of small game hunting for Science projects.......It's amazing how often events occur year after year in almost the same setting........I started my log on the Albemarle in 1999 and I can give high percentage predictions weekly almost year round with lower accuracy during prolonged sub freezing periods which are rare in these parts....

Congrats Jim.....a great angler with the willingness to share and educate others......we are blessed to have you on this site.  Sorry to hear about your back but we too wish you a speedy recovery and return to the ponds!

Jeffrey

I use to always keep logs no better way to learn as comparing from trip to trip it such ans informational tool. I tried to keep a very in depth log never have to much info. Hopefully one day I can start using them again.

That's very impressive - congrats! I just started keeping a log - thought it would be a good thing to pass down to my 3 boys as they grow up!

That is a fantastic year!! You and Jeff are becoming legends! Congrats and heres hoping you have an equally impressive or better next year!

that 24" LMB is a trophy!

Yeah, Slip...we have taken numerous 20 to 23 inch largemouths from Piney Run over the years. Thanks, and hope you reach your goals for 2015. Here are a few pics of that 24 incher...

that sure is a tank beats my PB by two inches!

Thanks everyone!

Dick...I didn't think we had kept that many fish, but it was from 6 different lakes so we felt safe with the keeping.

Jeffrey...we usually do better on gills thru the ice, but I just couldn't get on them. We released over 1100... 9 to 10 inch gills and hybs from one 6 acre body of water before we kept any.

Slip..Piney Run is an awesome lake to fish. Bass, crappies. cats, gills and trophy stripers and only 290 acres.

Jim I was just suggesting that I know you practice catch and release. I have no idea how many fish you kept but some for the fry pan is a good thing when you enjoy the taste of fish now and then. Nothing like fresh fish. Hope next year gets better for you my friend. Hope you can get that back better and get back in the swing of things.

Thanks, Dick...same to you my friend! and Merry Christmas!

RSS

Latest Activity

dick tabbert posted photos
1 hour ago
Troy Dorman posted photos
3 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on tracy willis's photo
Thumbnail

nice pan of gills

"Nice mixed bag…..enjoy the fry!"
21 hours ago
tracy willis posted a photo

nice pan of gills

eater size gills and shellcrackers. fairly easy to catch a mess since they nest raiding bass and…
23 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Flying carpenter ant

"Very generous offer Dick!"
yesterday
Thumbnail

Flying carpenter ant

"I believe sinking Dick. "
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Flying carpenter ant

"I made a couple up for you. Do you have sinking or floating ants John?"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"Great tip for the Tiny Torpedo I've not tried on my go to Smallmouth Bass topwater Bait.…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"Us old timers /old schoolers can relate.  Bass Week: Top 5 Old-School Lures that Still…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

Flying carpenter ant

"Great work Dick!"
yesterday
dick tabbert posted a photo

Flying carpenter ant

#6 curved shank hook
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a photo

Osprey Taking Flight…..4/14/2024

See dozens of these raptors every time you fish on the Albemarle….
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a status
"Got out behind five days in a row of high wind warnings….washing machine effect on our creeks but grinded out a mess…mix of crappie & bass"
yesterday
Thumbnail

spawn is on

"Go get ‘em Tracy……fill up your stringer……."
Saturday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Black Beetle

"Thank you Jeffrey. Working on tying some different flies."
Saturday
tracy willis commented on tracy willis's photo
Thumbnail

spawn is on

"thanks Jeff.  theyve colored up this week.  need to get back further in another creek to…"
Saturday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Black Beetle

"Very nice craftsmanship Dick!"
Saturday
Thumbnail

spawn is on

"White crappie on the board!, good work Tracy….."
Saturday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by