Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Friday 6/15/12

Arrived at the cottage at Farwell Lake in Jackson County Michigan Friday about 6:00PM. Got everything unloaded then proceeded to the boat Launch on Pine Hill Lake. Unloaded the pontoon and my Wife drove the truck and trailer back to the cottage. I drove the pontoon to the cottage. This is the first time at the lake. The lake was crystal clear and shallow. Found out that the pontoon would only do 2200rpm which is an idle. The motor would die if I tried to add more gas. Finally made it to the cottage told the grand kids wait by the water so I would know where the boat dock was. Got to the launch and tied the boat down. When I rented the cottage I told the lady that my wife was handicapped and She assured me only 2 steps up into the cottage and a straight shot down to the boat dock. She neglected to tell me that the boat dock was a football field and a half down a steep hill all the way. How she planned for the wife to get down let alone up the hill is beyond me. We turn in for the night.

Views: 1650

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes Jim there are some giants in there nothing my little stuff will handle.

Gillets Lake should be another GREAT sunfish lake.  It's east of Jackson a few miles, on Ann Arbor Road, just past where Ann Arbor Rd briefly meets up with I-94.  Keep heading east, about 1/4 mile, and turn south on Gillets Lake Rd.  There is public access, with a boat launch, which is a little further south of the county park.

I'm not sure how deep, exactly, that lake is, but there is a huge area of reeds and cattails out in the main basin, so it can't be that deep.

Gillets Lake is a drive from where you're at.  You might want to check out Swain's Lake.  It's about a mile south of Concord on Pulaski Rd.  County park lake, with a boat launch.  Very small, better suited for canoes and kayaks.  Not sure how deep it is.

You might want to run just to the south of where your at, and check out Somerset and Somerset Center.  Several little lakes in there, but I think they might all be "lakeside residences", with no public access.  If you head east from there on Chicago Rd / US-12, you will eventually come to the Irish Hills area.  Lots of lakes all over in there.

I think one of the other members on this board is from Clinton Township, which is about 30 - 45 minutes east of you.  They might be able to point you to some good fishing.

Thanks for the info. Don't know when I'll be able to get out again but I always like new stuff.

Wow...what a great diary of a really nice vacation! Thanks so much for sharing this with all of us, Dick.

And, by the way...where were you guys at? What state...Michigan?

Jim we were in Horton Mi. in Jackson County stayed on Rainbow Lake which I couldn't find a map of but it looked like a creek more than a lake. Rainbow lake probably the deepest spot was 6' and all weed choked. I done 75% of my fishing on Farwell Lake it is on the same chain.

Dick, Looks like you had an AWESOME VACATION!!!!!!!! Sorry You WIFE hasn't got to fish yet!!!!!

Have you got your TUBE in the WATER YET??????

Not yet I haven't been out but twice this year not including vacation.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
5 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
5 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
6 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
6 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
6 hours ago
6 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service