Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

So i recently purchased some new lures and gear for 2012 mostly purchising bass gear but the love of Bluegill in me forced me to take a look at the panfish baits. I came upon Berkley Gulp Corn and Berkley Gulp Maggots and bought a jar of each.I have had good success with the maggots in the past but was wondering If anyone has had any success with the Berkley Gulp Corn. 

Views: 748

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i bought the gulp worms but havent tryed them, because my live worm still works. lol!

I second that one. Until a Berkley moving, wiggling - is the exact same thing as a real worm bait, I will pass on the $5 jars of dead bait. Not a fan unless you are really desperate for something on the hook.

Used both the worms and the maggots. Mixed results, but I was amazed at how well hot dogs and slim jims worked on the bluegill this fall. I can't understand Gulp Corn since a can of sweet corn is so inexpensive

Its going to depend on what you pay for live bait. I pay $2.75 for 24 dillies (small worms) and I have never used all 24 in one trip.

For speckled trout, we paying $3 to $4 a pound if we know the seller for live shrimp. Aint cheap. Others pay much more.

You can buy Gulp shrimp for a little more and they last forever. They work as good usually. Reds and specks are pretty aggressive and not as picky as bass are.

The gulp corn..yeah, i agree, that isnt economically wise, is it

?

Tim - 24 worms in one trip for bluegills? You need to get another lake. Don't buy Gulp - it will slow your fishing down.

I go in on an order with friends and I can get 1,000 spikes for $5 with the shipping.  This is the best bait on the hook for gills, panfish and all-around for many fish. 

There are many places that will ship it if your local tackle store won't get you a good price on them. They last a long time in the fridge - 5 weeks if you keep them at right temp and keep the ammonia down on them (grub sweat)...

Hotdog pieces do work well on Gills! Gotta get back to that.

If you use hotdogs, cut them in small pieces. Put them in jar and cover with garlic salt. I fish hotdogs alot at a pond I go to. I always keep garlic salt in tackle box.

Dwayne-Do your friends ever avoid you ?You must smell great . I'll be on the other side of the pond .Lol!

I can fish all week on a 68 cent can of corn and a 90 cent pack of hotdogs

Very practical Dwayne!

I will go with Dwayne on this if we are going up against any bait-in-a-jar. Hot dogs have a nice oil and are o.k. I will take this one further - get yourself a dime-sized metal tube and then punch out little "pipes" of dog. Then cut these into little barrels - now you have a nice meat bait. Make them all the same size and you can be a pro hotdog angler...

Johnny, the way I understand it, they most ship spikes in cool weather. Is this right? I am wanted to order some for mid april.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"This year my old Rattle Traps have been catching again in the 3",1/2 oz, and 3,5",3/4oz…"
5 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"The Rattle Traps over the windy flats have called Fish up and done well. 2 mid sized and two…"
yesterday
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far.  "
yesterday
yesterday
yesterday
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far. "
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Tracy."
yesterday
tracy willis commented on Troy Dorman's photo
yesterday
tracy willis commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"toad!!"
yesterday
dick tabbert posted a photo

Big rubber soider

Prototype of a big rubber spider 3x3" with a #4 2xl hook.
Wednesday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

Vince with two nice ones

"Thanks, Jeff! Yes, he's soon to be 16!"
Wednesday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"Ah! That's the Mustache!"
Wednesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"This is the one I caught the perch on. Mushtache Minnow."
Wednesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"John, it's a mess but as soon as the mustache minnow gets wet it takes on the looks of a…"
Wednesday
John Sheehan commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Tuesday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Yeah, growing some Slab Perch there Dick! A mustache?"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Jeffrey."