Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

List your top (5) factors that you feel contributes most to your own personal success with B’Gill fishing or panfishing in general.

My list

1. Sonar! Made number one… you can’t catch the fish if they are not there!! Change your fishing life and success and invest in a decent sonar.
  2. Graphite rods… sensitivity, sensitivity and sensitivity
  3. Braid… Graphite and braid what a combination!
  4. GULP ALIVE! Waxies… game changer when it comes to bait. Especially in pink. I believe it is a great tipping for Bill Modicas spoon technique.
  5. Drop shotting… my number one method of obtaining decent Gillage.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have always felt that being invited to fish with someone... showing you their techniques , tactics and spots was the greatest honor in fishing. everyone can learn from anyone in this sport!. this discussion in simple form is just that... we are learning bits and pieces of your knowledge foundation that took you time and effort on a BOW to develop... this is awesome! TY for taking the time to share!

Views: 930

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is always interesting to me......

1. First and foremost is fishing water that holds both quality gills and numbers.........the Albemarle estuary is one of the most diverse waterways in America...........the amount of public water is one of the main reasons I settled on building a home here over 12 years ago with the knowledge that an abundance of coppernose were available........

2. Knowledge of the vast water......it can be intimidating to anglers with just a few days or an occasional weekend to learn the area and what the gills like.......I've recorded more than  2,000 trips over the last 15 years covering almost 70 percent of the estuary........I've established so many quality spots I'm able to reduce the pressure on a handful of spots which is big in the long term.....

3.  How do the elements of weather impact your fish......water temperature being the most important along with wind speed and direction which influences the wind tides in this region and often stimulate incredible feeding frenzies

4. Available forage.......what are the fish eating in your body of water.........I know grass shrimp for example is a major component of the panfish food naturally occurring in the Albemarle so I chose to match that as often as I can with great results........

5.  Fish often and keep a log book......you will be amazed how often a little clue such as wind direction or moon phase will make a difference in your fishing results.........I have never went public with my detailed log but I'm considering it for 2016 on this site.......similar to what Slip has done..........

Excellent game plan and info Jeffrey!

1. First and foremost is fishing water that holds both quality gills and numbers.........the Albemarle estuary is one of the most diverse waterways in America...........the amount of public water is one of the main reasons I settled on building a home here over 12 years ago with the knowledge that an abundance of coppernose were available........

You did a great job finding that ultimate body of water! tough beating what you have there id say anywhere in the country!!

i did the same thing when i moved up here... investigated all the lakes close to me as well as finding a home with water on the property as well as a place close enough to walk to for good fishing. at the time i was deeply interested in bass fishing as well as the other preds including walleye. i found that spot! who knew id do a complete flip in fishing interest and turn to B'Gill... Michigan plainly sucks when it comes to quality gill fishing... quality here is 7.5" to 9" ...10"inches and up would be like winning the lotto... lol

fly rod in a 3 wt is number one for me!!                                                                                                                           a fly rod and porkupine quill is number 2!!                                                                                                                          l a descent boat number 3                                                                                                                                               descent depth / fish finder number 4                                                                                                                              good fly line is a MUST!!  number 5;; or is it number 1??                                                                                                  a good fly rod;; quill floats;  good jigs; or flies;;  makes gill catching a ton of fun!   and;; when you catch a occasional bass or catfish;;   oh yea;; you just have to experience that for yourself; to see the fun!!   when a 9 foot rod;; is doubled over;; rod tip touching water;; fighting a good size bass or kittie fish-- it dont get any better!!  

Interesting Jim and I think your dead on. I do think there can be more added but that would be micro managing and maybe a little to much in depth.

Jeffery definitly had the right idea--  build a house- close to the best fishing spot in the country!   fertile water;; low fishing pressure certainly makes for the best fishing !!  adding to that;; Jeffery keeps daily logs on his fishing spots;; wind direction;; barometric pressure; time of day; cloudy versus blue sky---   its no wonder Jeffery is consistant  on his catching ability. not to mention;; being careful not to over fish any one spot;; making sure he has a bounty next time !

and i have witnessed;; Lord of the Fly Rods using a electric knife!!  he can fillet 3 gills to my 1;; and im pretty quick with a regular knife!

number one for me was finding this web site! I've been fishin 250 days a yr for bout everything that swims but have learned a lot from all the great guys on here! My Dad originally hooked me on fishing by takin me to a pond to catch bedding 'Gills! Now thats how I get youngsters hooked! It still works!

thanks Roger... love this site too... has really supercharged my interest in panfishing... gets me off that couch!!! they are all a great bunch of people here sharing info ideas and even flys.

thats the way my Dad got me interested... also with black crappie ... one after another with the cane pole... jigs n minnows

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
9 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
9 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
10 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
10 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
10 hours ago
10 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
Tuesday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service