Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Just got back from Ohio Tuesday and done some fishing there. I'm going back in January most likely to do some ice fishing but don't know the first thing about it. I know most of us are probably clueless about this topic but i was hoping maybe some of you have ventured into the ice fishing world at some point in your lives. I know i need to get a rod designed for ice fishing (shorter) but thats about the extent of my knowledge. I need help on bait and or jigs, what types of line to use so the sharp ice won't damage it and also about drilling a hole through the ice to fish out of. Any and all help will be appreciated here. Thanks alot and good fishing to all of you

Views: 423

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Join these groups and read the posts.Hearty and  fun style of fishing .God luck Jason .Kinda pushing the season but I can feel your enthusiasm .

http://bigbluegill.com/group/eastcoasticefisherma

http://bigbluegill.com/group/wisconsinicefishers

Now you're talking Jason. I would rather ice fish than fish warm water anytime. However, I am concerned anytime someone new picks up the sport. There is no such thing as safe ice......period. Thickness is one indication of the ice's condition, but used as a gage by itself, it is not enough. Will you have some experienced ice anglers with you on your first few trips? I sincerely hope so. Safety is paramount in ice fishing, everything else revolves around it. Your life, or the life of someone you're with, may hang in the balance. The learning curve can be tragically steep.

Now that I've hopefully instilled in you the need to be careful, I'll gladly touch on what works for me. When I started walking on water, I could carry all my gear in a single 5 gallon bucket. I had three Schooley rods, (google em', they are very basic but they do catch fish!), a half dozen teardrop jigs in various colors, a clip on plumb weight, some waxworms, and a pair of needlenose pliers. That first winter I used a splitting maul to bust a hole to fish through. By the way: standing over 20' of ice cold water, swinging a splitting maul at the plate glass between your feet will tell you a lot about yourself. It's also an excellent character builder for the buddies you fish with. However, I don't recommend it. I bought my first hand auger my second winter and never looked back.

That's it, all you need to catch fish. Like most hobby/sports, one can get as fancy, or as well equipped as your finances will allow. Nowadays, I use 24" ice rods equipped with micro spinning reels. I still have the Schooleys for backups, however. I also grew tired of sitting on a bucket while a small scale blizzard raged around me, making it nearly impossible to detect those subtle winter bites. So I purchases a flip-over shelter that has its own sled, and I load it with my gear and pull it behind me. Punch a hole with my auger, and flip the shelter over my head and I have an instant windbreak. It's suprisingly warm in there, and the dark interior allows the world under the ice to light up.... Sometimes, I can sight  down the hole and watch the fish take my bait.

I have also replaced my plumb weight with a portable sonar unit, specifically made for ice fishing. And to be truthful, it added a whole other dimension to my ice fishing.  However it is not necessary, and fish can be caught without it. If you try ice angling and like it, you can always purchase one down the road.

That's my take on the basics, please feel free to ask questions and I will be happy to elaborate about the different aspects of hardwater fishing.

I hear you Mike, I feel the same way about fly fishing. Why anyone would want to waste their time trying to catch such a miniscule insect by using fishing gear is beyond me. Don't they know that's what flyswatters are for? Of course, up here in chilly old Indiana we don't have to put up with flies in the wintertime anyway. I suspect that Floridians probably get pretty good at it though, since they're able to practice year-round.........winkingcool

I came very close to doing a Google images search on "Ice Cube fish"...

If you have any specific questions send me a pm and I would be happy to answer them.  I live in WI and spend a ridiculous amount of time ice fishing each winter.  I chase the gills all over the lake while my buddies watch their tip ups.  I would be happy to help you get started.

thanks for everything guys; i'm sure i'll be calling on you guys again for some specifics, thanks again and good fishing to all of you

Yeah, I got a good chuckle out of that one- and the one about household fly fishing. What can I say, I'm a little slow...

i live in northeast ohio and we do some ice fishing most years . nothing quite like it ,i think that i actually do better sometimes ice fishing than open water. fish the same spots you fished in the summer . i usually use waxworms and magots ,sometimes gulp alive .i sometimes in the early ice season fish as shallow as 4 foot of water . if the water is clear we sight fish . it is amazing what you can learn about bluegills by watching them come up to your bait . lots of times you never see the line move or spring bobber (if your using one) move as the gills come up and get your bait .its a really addictive part of gill fishing and if you are properly prepared you will have a great time ,good luck ,there is a site i thinks its called the ice team that has a lot of infomation.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
1 hour ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
20 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
23 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service