Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

I was in a sporting goods store in Bainbridge Ga. the other day, freshening up my Non-resident Georgia fishing license. That's sort of a necessity when you live right on the State line. Anyway, while I waited for the license printing guy to get freed up, I went plundering on the fishing tackle aisle and found the sweetest looking Bluegill rod I ever saw! I almost got turned off by the Zebco name on it, but I was intrigued enough to take it down and give it a shake. It's a good thing they have a high ceiling, because this thing is a full 12' long when you stick the 2 peices together! It is definitely in the ultra-light category though, and is much like a fly rod in weight. It came equipped with one of those underslung closed face spinning reels with a little trigger you pull with your nose pickin' finger. I've always thought those little reels looked kinda silly, but it came with the rod, so now I have one. I haven't looked inside it yet, but it actually looks like it's pretty well built, with a nice little brass wheel for adjusting the drag, which seems to work smoothly enough. I can always replace it with a nice ultra-light reel if it doesn't work out. The rod itself looks like just too much fun, though. It appears to be an even taper from the pencil sized butt the whole 12 feet to the skinny little tip. I can hardly wait to feel a big Coppernose givin' it the business!

By the way, Zebco calls this thing "The Slab Seeker." They even put a picture of a big Bluegill on the cardboard sleeve it came in. 'Gill fishing might be beginning to see a little respect for a change, if this is any indicator. ;-) I couldn't resist bringing it home, since the price was only $35.

Views: 528

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That does sound sweet. I picked up an 8.5 foot Shimano for Christmas (they call it light, but it's pretty near Ulight, 1/32 ounce and 4 - 10 pound line), but now I wish I'd seen one of those :-)
You're going to like that rod. I got a 12' Slab Seeker a couple years ago. For me, longer rods are definitely the way to go.
Big Dan, keep us informed on how you like that new rod and reel in combat, I've been ordering all my new equipment from the ACME Co.
Good one.
OK, I have finally used these rods enough to offer an opinion. I'm not as pleased with them as I had thought I would be. I don't dislike them at all, but I like my "brim buster" with the u/l open faced reel better. I think part of the problem is with the little closed-faced reels. It takes more weight to cast with them than with an open-face. Another thing is the action of the rod seems out of balance to me, but that may be just because it is different from what I'm used to. I frequently have to watch overhead for tree branches and have to cast side-arm, using the tip action to propel the bait. The tip of these rods is a little too stiff to do that well. They do cast very well on open water where I can use a long, sweeping movement though.

Bottom line is, these guys have sat out several trips in the corner of the shed, as I don't like to carry more than about 3 rods on the boat and they are limited as to where I can use them. Crappie season will be a different story though, assuming I get to participate in that this year.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
3 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
3 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
3 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
3 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
3 hours ago
3 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
22 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service