Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Several weeks ago, I bought one of those battery powered green LED submersible lights.  I was planning on using it to draw in minnows at night so I could scoop them up with a net.

I finally got a chance to use the thing last night.  I went to one of my home lakes, that has several floating fishing platforms.  I initially dropped it into the water on the deep side.  Well, after several minutes, I didn't notice ANYTHING coming in.  I moved it over to near the weedline.

Within seconds of dropping it in, I had a couple "somethings" swimming around the light.  I'm not totally sure what they were.  These critters were probably less than 1/2" in length, and closer to 1/4".  They looked like very tiny tadpoles.  I could see very prominent eyes.  I'm thinking they might have been Damselfly nymphs.

Within a few minutes, I had something else swarming around the light.  These were extremely tiny, about the size of sand grains.  I could see them, as they were present by the thousands.

I kept looking for minnows.  Never did see any.  However, the real fun started about an hour into the soak.  I saw my first fish.  It came rushing in from my left, around behind the light, stopped, then rushed behind me.  It was just barely within range of the light.  I could see the shape of the fish, but not identify it.  Size-wise, it was either a big Crappie, or a small LMB.

The next 30 minutes was really fun.  Every few minutes, several fish would move in, and circle the light just far enough out that I could see the outline of the body, but not identify it.  I did have a few Bluegill move in close, and start inhaling the small critters.

I'm probably going to have to use this thing where the minnows are, shallow water.  I have a few spots like that around, just have to try it.  Of course, the weather is against me as well; it's coming to a close in the warm-water season.  Water temp has dropped about 13 degrees.  But, I may end up doing some night-fishing trips with this light, out of my kayak, at some known Crappie holes.

Views: 455

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If yo dont mind school me one the light your using, the onlt one I've ever used was just a old white light.

Johnny, it's a Berkley, takes 3 AA batteries, and has 6 green LED lights inside a waterproof housing.  I got it at Academy Sports and Outdoors a few months ago.

RSS

Latest Activity

Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
yesterday
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

Trouble for my Eagle Claw/Z Man Plastic…….6/22/2024

"Yes…..especially large bass…I always hope to grab a picture and release but I want to…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

"I guess you fish 12 # test for Gills because of this possibility!"
yesterday
yesterday
yesterday
yesterday
yesterday
Thumbnail

"Thanks John…this was a train wreck on light tackle……I was fishing a foot deep…"
yesterday
yesterday
yesterday
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a status
"With a UV index of 11 today,I splashed early and picked up at nine. we’ve had low water for ten days in a row.Mixed six species for 88 fish"
yesterday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"The Beetle Spin When Virgil Ward set out to create a new lure back in 1948, he had no intention of…"
Friday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"Classic Fishing Lures That Have Stood the Test of Time   Outdoor America Article…"
Friday
Friday
Thumbnail

Biggest of Ten Largemouth Today…..6/19/2024

"Thanks John…..you can see how black and tannic the water was in this area…."
Thursday
Thursday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a photo

Biggest of Ten Largemouth Today…..6/19/2024

The bass were harassing the shallow gills today so we cross paths with a few that gave up their…
Wednesday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service