Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

I have a small (5' wide) year round creek running across my property which I would like to fish for BG. Can someone tell me in what part of the creek they would likely be residing this time of the year? Shallow, deep, lots of debris, clear water, or the creek entry from a pond? I have yet to catch an eatable size BG in my pond. Now, I want to try the creek. I live in TX, so it's not freezing cold here.

Views: 292

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Most fish, depending on weather, are most active at dusk and dawn, but you shouldn't have any trouble during most hours of the day.
Wow you guys have some decent fish in your creeks lol my grandpa has a small creek and all you catch is 3-7 in. shiners
I have a question about creeks and wanted to know if it would be wise to try to catch as many of the fish out or not before winter gets here and freezes the water.

I do not think there are any real deep wholes in the creek but have yet to completely walk it out with some waders so will they withstand the ice over or just die off?

We have fished it quite a bit and have taken many fish as well and do not want to take too many unless they will not survive the winter anyway and then I would like to take them all if possible.

The Large Mouth Bass have been so much fun coming out of there (would like to know what strain they are).

So do you any of the fish will make it through the winter or will most die off?

I am sure once the spring comes again and the rains start a new generation of fish will be trapped for out taking next summer.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
In my creek, it is the summer that's the problem as the water gets so low, there is nowhere for the fish to go. I believe they either starved, or the predators got them. That's why there was no fish last winter when I first bought this property. I never once saw the water freeze as there was always some water flowing. I now think the main problem this winter will be the fish starving, as the bluegills are too big for the bass to eat. (my bass I added are only 6"), and there are no smaller fish or bugs for the bluegills. So, next Monday, I am buying a bunch of minnows and putting them in the creek. We have dammed up the creek a little, and offset the culverts. It is harder for the fish to get through and go downstream, but not impossible. Why do you think your fish would be trapped in the creek?

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
2 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
2 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
2 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
2 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
2 hours ago
2 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
21 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service