Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Does anyone here remember a jig called a Crappie Killer? It was a all white jig, and I think it was made with deer hair.It didn't look like a regular bucktail, as the hair was cut so to almost be stiff. The lead on the head was half moon shaped.  I fished these as a kid in the early 60's, and wonder if anyone knows if they are still made, and what company made them. 

Views: 4464

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Vince:  Take a look at the "sparkie" jig on the Do-It Mold website.  As I recall the original Crappie Killer, the hook eye was at the front of the head.  This molded head is rounded on the bottom but I think a little work with a file could alter that and provide the slow drop that crappies like.

Attachments:

Try this place if you want the heads that you posted, they are lead free.  I've known the guy from several boards and he's really good  http://www.leadfreejigheads.com/gpage16.html

Hey, I used to fish them, too. I fished them on the end of a bobber. Is that a white jig head?

Doug, does that guy sell painted jig heads?

It was a all white jig, Bruce. I only remember seeing them in white, but they may have made other colors of them. 

Vince:  The best color where I fished in Appleton, WI was all yellow - head, thread & hair.  As I recall, it looked like the head and thread were dipped into the yellow paint after the hair was tied on.  The head paint served to lock the threads on.

That's exactly how they looked, Badgerloader. The head and thread looked liked it was dipped in paint.I only used white ones, but I am sure they came in several different colors.   

Vince:  It finally warmed up enough for me to go and dig my lure boxes out.  Photo is attached of what I have been using as my home-made Crappie Killers.  The pink / white is a long established go-to crappie color that still works today.  The chartreuse head with yellow kip tail is one I use in turbid or stained water.  The chartreuse head paint is glow-in-the-dark.  I use red thread on almost all my jigs - I like to think it emulates the color of gills.

The cupped / flat head and bouyant kip (calf) tail hair makes this float down rather than plunge. 

Attachments:

those look great, I definately agree with the red thread for hair jigs or any with an exposed thread neck.

Badgerloader, Where did you buy those cupped jigs? I like the idea.

Bruce

I bought them un-painted off of e-bay.  1/16 oz & #2 hook

Don't think so - as most of the guys who buy from him do their own painting, you could email him and see if he will but not sure. 

I do remember a jig called a Crappie Killer, but I can't remember what it looked like.  Another really great crappie lure was a white or yellow Thompson "Doll Ya Hoo".  Had a hackle collar around the painted  jig head, some silver or gold tinsel, and a short plastic worm.  The whole thing was about 2 inches long and weighed about a 1/16 oz.  Fantastic little bait here in So Cal back in the late 60s!

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
14 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
17 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's status
"An Instrumental Guitar recording of mine to commemorate. …"
Sunday
John Sheehan posted a status
"Trout Season opens April 6th in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for stocking."
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
"My favorites through the Years: Manns Jelly Worm, Manns Auger tail, Charlie Brewers 4" on a…"
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
Sunday
Sunday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

"Thank you, Jeffrey!"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service