Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

I know this winter has been unusual to say the least, but we've still seen good catches from northern members, taken through the ice. What surprises me is the lack of open water BG photos. Has anyone been out and tried in the past 3 weeks or so? I realize that the calendar may say it's too early, but mother nature may say otherwise.

What do my fellow BBG anglers wait for, or look for, before hitting the water in search of Bluegills? Is it a date on the calendar, a specific water temperature, a particular phase of the moon,  the ability to fish in short sleeve shirts, or something else?

I've caught fish all winter, and have had great fishing the past two weeks. I've also learned a ton of new info.

What are the deciding factors that cause Bluegill anglers to pick up their rods and give it a try?

Views: 455

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I actually never stop fishing as you have probably seen Tony........I last caught a shellcracker in South Carolina in December......went out weekly in January here in North Carolina and tried different things in areas that I catch hundreds of gills in every year but no joy on Sunfish.....I'll probably get out this Sunday and that will be my last chance to catch a gill in February 2012 because I always dedicate at least some time to Bluegill fishing.....I always count down to Good Friday 4/6/2012 in my area, and I'm tracking water temperatures weekly looking for the jump above 58 which appears to have some significance for Coppernose Bluegill which account for 75% of my catch ......I do believe the bite will start in March this year with the mildest Winter in years. Water temperatures have risen to roughly 52 degrees in my local rivers as of yesterday....I also track the honeysuckle bloom for great times to fish......I have lived in the Carolinas, Tennessee and Virginia since 1983 and I have rarely caught any bluegill to speak of in January and February in any of these states.......I do have an eight day fishing vacation to Southeastern Louisiana for mid March because we always started pursuing gills aggressively on St. Patirck's Day down there where I grew up......... You can bet one thing, when they start here I'll be looking forward to sharing the news and would expect some of the warmer climates to start catching nice gills very soon........Florida, California and Texas maybe....not sure though because I don't have experience in those places...... 

Thanks Jeffrey! I also expect the warmer states to start showing us some great pics soon.

I was curious as to when Bluegill anglers typically began their "season". Like you, I fish all through the colder months, with varying degrees of success. Good catches, and some not so good. I don't think of my season as having a beginning or an end, but I know a lot of anglers do. Certainly, I have periods or intervals that I consider more prime than others, but a start and a finish line, not so much.

I typically begin fishing either in February, in years when winter goes away early (not this one, unfortunately - seems it just showed up late this time), or usually sometime around mid-March.  I am pretty certain I could catch bluegill right now out of some of the smaller ponds I manage, but I take the winter off not just due to less interest from the fish, but also to give them a break from angling pressure.  I usually catch some of the biggest 'gills of the year on the first trip or two, and I believe some of it has to do with fish memory - I think perhaps they forget somewhat not to eat something that has that sharp thing sticking out of it, when they haven't seen the sharp thing in a few months.  But of course part of it could also just be fish packing on the weight prior to the spawn.

I normally wait until we get several days in a row of sixty-degree weather, which tells me the 'gills are going to be active.  They're usually still in deep water the first trip or two, but typically bite better than at any other time of year.  Two springs ago I went sometime in March, and had a bite every cast but one or two, for three hours. 

Walt, are you saying it hasn't warmed up like normal, for this time of year? I figured an early Spring just about everywhere this year!

My goal is always to catch some kind of fish  at least every month of the year.I usually rely on my home lake which I've spent years on .Fish dont stop eating just 'cause its cold .Small baits and vertical presentation in cold water often triggers the tough bite for me .Jigs tipped with worm pieces or mealworms account for most of my coldwater bites . One reason I put the Bluegill calender together was to recall the baits used and fish activity level as it changed and heated up or slowed. Bad start this year. Nothing in Jan and nothing in Feb . Hope to get the boat out soon ,it hasnt been out this year yet.

I have the same goal John! Good luck, and thanks for the info.

Sure thing ,not that I am a big time wise fisherman.I know one lake good thats all LOL! Good luck to you also ,look forward to your future posts!

i fish year round too but like jeffrey i have'nt had alot of cold water success on the gills here in virginia.i usually start around the end of march around here for freckle(crappie to most)and mid april sometimes earlier for the gills.the way the weather has been in va this winter it might be earlier it was 80 here today. 

I went and tried out my new fishing pole at the golf course lake.  the temp was around 48 degrees.  It is a esp 6 foot powerlite rod.  It cast out about 30 feet with a 1/32 oz jig and curly tail jig.  I caught a small crappie.  I think I am going to return this rod for a new rod, because it seem to bend to the left, and is not straight. 

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"This year my old Rattle Traps have been catching again in the 3",1/2 oz, and 3,5",3/4oz…"
4 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"The Rattle Traps over the windy flats have called Fish up and done well. 2 mid sized and two…"
yesterday
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far.  "
yesterday
yesterday
yesterday
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far. "
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Tracy."
yesterday
tracy willis commented on Troy Dorman's photo
yesterday
tracy willis commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"toad!!"
yesterday
dick tabbert posted a photo

Big rubber soider

Prototype of a big rubber spider 3x3" with a #4 2xl hook.
yesterday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

Vince with two nice ones

"Thanks, Jeff! Yes, he's soon to be 16!"
Wednesday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"Ah! That's the Mustache!"
Wednesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"This is the one I caught the perch on. Mushtache Minnow."
Wednesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"John, it's a mess but as soon as the mustache minnow gets wet it takes on the looks of a…"
Wednesday
John Sheehan commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Tuesday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Yeah, growing some Slab Perch there Dick! A mustache?"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Jeffrey."