Do you love big bluegill?
Got the P-Max 170 installed in the Blue Beast the other day. I added an omni-directional, flat faced transducer instead of the directional one that comes from the factory. Because of the flat, disc-shaped face, I was able to silicone the transducer hard and fast to the flat bottom of the hull. None of the usual bedding usually seen, the flat puck sounder stuck wit a thin well squeezed out layer of silicone. My hope was there would be no bubbles or air pockets, and it appears I achieved that,
The thing performed well on its maiden trip, all parts of the system working well. The battery was mounted in an EPV foam box and bungeed in place. The display unit is mounted right in front for clear viewing.
Performance: From what I know about the area I used it in today, it is reading spot on. Depths were correct and the images of the bottom were clear.
Bait balls, schools of small fish, were very clearly marked as large and small smears, while fish in or nearby these schools appeared clearly as separate targets.
The bottom was clearly defined as a hard line structure with occasional items of structure to break it up.
PHASE I - Over all I found the whole thing to be anticlimactic. I've read so many horror stories about installations gone wrong, I just assumed it always goes badly. Well, everything appears to work perfectly and I can find nothing to indicate otherwise.
Phase II involves the following:
a. Finalize the wiring
b. Devise a more robust battery mount
c. Move the control head forward, as it is a little too close.]
I didnt catch any fish but, boy, did I see a lot of them! I was also able to find those areas where they traveled and so was able to eliminate a lot of useless water.