Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

I had a chance to get out to ice fish yesterday and I was catching small Blue Gills until I switched to a Prism Chartreuse Swedish Pimple.   While the largest was only 9 inches and others on the spoon were all over 8 inches it was a vast improvement from the 7 1/2 inch and under earlier.   I missed a chance to see a program that Bill Modica did last year but I have read all that I can on his methods.  I am now a convert and look forward to getting out for the big ones.  I hope to get on Delavan this year and catch a few.

Phil

Views: 429

Replies to This Discussion

Bill is our spoon guru on this site. If you do go on you tube he does have quit a few fishing videos all on them worth seeing.

One of the best artificials I've used for gills is a Johnson Silver Minnow in the micro size.
I've started tying a spoon fly version for this season

David:

How do you fish the small silver minnow, steady retrieve or do you allow it to flutter down?

FELIX;; WHEN I USE SPOONS ; ( IVE MADE SEVERAL OUT OF VERY SMALL WILLOW LEAF SPINNER BLADES ) ;;  I WILL TIP THEM WITH A PIECE OF NITE CRAWLER;;   CAST THEM AS FAR AS POSSIBLE;; AND ON THE RETREIVE; LET IT DO A DYING FLUTTER DOWN; THEN RIP IT BACK UP ;; TO LET IT DIE AGAIN;;   IT WORKS GREAT !  ONE OF THE BEST TIMES I KNOW OF TO USE THE SPOON; IS A VERY CLOUDY DAY.. 

Phil;; check Bill;s spoon fishing on you tube;;  he has several there... I made a few spoons; out of willow leaf blades last year;; worked terrific;; very small and light weight

You still cannot beat a Dardevle "Skeeter" spoon.  It's the smallest one that Eppinger makes.  Comes in two gauges, but the same tiny size with a double hook.  Comes in many colors, too many to decide on!  I love this spoon.  Fish SLAM it when used on very light line and on a slow steady retrieve.  Don't use a swivel, just a loose loop knot.

Thanks for the replies,  Looks like I am going to have to visit Bass Pro,Gander Mountain and Cabelas to find some more small spoons. I have watched some of Bill's videos and that is where I got started.  It just took me a while to try the method out.  I am going to work on it this year tho.

Phil

RSS

Latest Activity

Mikey-D commented on Mikey-D's photo
Thumbnail

20171027_082102

"Pretty fun Leo not as much fight this time of the year water is coolin off quick but it was fun on…"
14 hours ago
Leo Nguyen left a comment for Gary C Griffin
"Thanks for the eyes and ears in the site. Issues resolved."
yesterday
Leo Nguyen left a comment for John Funk
"John, thank you for the report. We'll take care of the issues."
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on Mikey-D's photo
Thumbnail

20171027_082102

"Man I love catchin toothys."
yesterday
dick tabbert left a comment for Mikey-D
"Sorry Mikey been off the site for awhile. Welcome aboard my friend."
yesterday
Leo Nguyen commented on Mikey-D's photo
Thumbnail

20171027_082102

"Very nice! How was the fight on that beauty?"
yesterday
Lester Rhoads left a comment for dick tabbert
"Hello Dick, Thank you very much for the warm welcome!  Are you an Admin here?  If not,…"
yesterday
Mikey-D posted a status
"went crappie fishing yesterday but these is what I caught"
yesterday
Mikey-D posted photos
yesterday
Mark Sleeper left a comment for Mikey-D
"nice fish Kudos"
Saturday
Mikey-D left a comment for Bruce Condello
"Gees Bruce those are some of the biggest gills I have seen I wouldn't tell anyone where that…"
Friday
Julie Schroeder left a comment for Mikey-D
"Sounds great! Thanks!"
Friday
Mikey-D left a comment for Julie Schroeder
"Thanx for the friend add it is a pleasure to have you on my friends list and to be on yours if you…"
Friday
Julie Schroeder left a comment for Mikey-D
"Thanks Micky-D!"
Friday
Mikey-D left a comment for Julie Schroeder
"Welcome to the site Julie will enjoy seeing some of your catches and exchanging some fishing…"
Friday
dick tabbert commented on Mikey-D's photo
Thumbnail

a day with my cuz's

"Nice bass Mikey"
Friday
John Sheehan commented on Mikey-D's photo
Thumbnail

22lb bowfin

"Woah!42" Amazing!"
Friday
Mikey-D commented on Mikey-D's photo
Thumbnail

2.5lb crappie

" Going to try and work some fishing in but huntin season starts tomorrow"
Friday
John Sheehan commented on Wade Jones's group Crappie Crew
"Oh yeah that'll do it ,Good work!"
Friday
John Sheehan commented on Mikey-D's photo
Thumbnail

2.5lb crappie

"Back in the 80's I caught a 16.5/2,1/2# Crappie .That's what my reference was . I have…"
Friday

© 2019   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service