Do you love big bluegill?
The photo is not great but here are 7 of the flies (jigs) I use through the ice. I tip them with small minnows, wax worms, maggots, or this year year, the pink waxies.
1. Fluorescent green marabou for the tail and body. I just wound it up the shank and made a red collar. I used gold tinsel for a rib. I tied it on a 1/80 oz. size 6 jig hook.
2. Is tied on a size 6 hook in clouser style. I used dumbbell eyes, peacock color kreinik braid for the tail and body. The head is tied with an olive or green dubbing, I think I used ice dub.
3. Is tied on a gold jighead with marabou (see #1).
4. Size 8 scud hook with a gold bead head. I used fluorescent marabou for the tail and peacock herl behind the bead.
5. Olive marabou tail, red braid body, peacock ice dub head wrapped around silver dumbbell eyes. I think it's a size 6 hook.
6. Olive marabou and pearl krystal tail, pink braid body and pearl ice dubbed round the size 6 jig head hook of 1/80 oz.
7. Size 6 hook and dumbbell eyes, red pearl braid and ice dub head. Olive marabou tail with few strands of pearl krystal flash.
Numbers 1, 4 & 6 seem to be my best producers. They are not the only flies (lures) I use, but they do work most of the time.
THEY ALL LOOK GOOD TO ME BRUCE ! IN THE SOUTH;; WE DONT GET THE HARD WATER LIKE YOU GUYS DO;; AND I DO HAVE A GREAT RESPECT FOR ALL OF YOU GUYS; WHO VENTURE OUT--- BUT-- WHEN IT COMES TO ME TO ICE FISH;; I REACH DEEPER INTO MY FREEZER !! LOL
Ah, thanks for posting Bruce ! Nice display and info! I like using bead head nymphs too! Have also done well with red colors under the ice . I'd like to know how you get 1/80th size jigs .I've never seen them .1/64th is about as light as I find .
© 2023 Created by Bluegill. Powered by