Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

As I turn the last page of the “SLIP’S 2017 LOGS, STATUS AND STRATEGIES” log book on an astounding year of angling… I think back on the initial strategies and goals for the year. I wanted to tag at least (4) Trophy Master Angler Panfish and that would include one thru the ice which would be a PB using that method. I ended up with 2 trophy P.Seeds thru the ice with a PB at 9.8" as well as(13) total Master Anglers thru the rest of the open water season!

To accomplish this feat I would greatly scale down my presentations to micro lite equipment… rods, reels, lines and baits. Careful considerations of lines were incorporated into my methods which would not exceed 2# mono diameter…and super lines that would approach 8# test or above to handle the trophy quality of fishes sought.

I would also aim to make my time on the water more productive by timing the trips with solunar periods… majors and minors on New and Full Moons. I've discovered big fish follow the moon… period! 2017 proved that especially considering the hard water Ice Period. I was on the big fish spots on the peak periods and it paid off!... BIGly!!!

I think I coined a phrase “Fishing for the Numbers by the Numbers” by incorporating all methods and strategies to gain my odds on the water for numbers as well as numbers of trophies. By the end of the day and all the numbers were tallied for 2017 I broke many records for the Master Angler Program in at least 2 counties.

I’m hoping for an even better season for 2018 and success for the fishermen following BBG!

Ken

Views: 7435

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

20180425-tagged a nice SMB long-casting/.016 oz & .032 oz Jigs looking for that B.Crappie bite. The bridge area is usually void of fish Nov thru April then the fish start moving in. once in awhile ill get lucky like today with a tag. Hen full of eggs and will be spawning once temps get in the mid to upper 60’s.

very nice fight… I welcome each and every battle with these beauties. I am very blessed this stretch of the river will hold them throughout the May – October months.

20180425-i'm sensing a bite at the bridge...

20180426-~~<")))))><(---*Cold-Water Period*--52°

20180426-after a brief warm-up a small cold front went thru yesterday with some chilly NW winds cooling the waters and probably putting a beat down on the B.Crappie movement shallow.

I feel the need and draw to the water today thru the early Major.Period to check the pulse on the B.Crappie as well as the B.Gill movement along the bank…on a 61% day the major.period will be 10:00-12:30

20180426-Putting It Together… ColdWater Period, Shallow at the Bank Pattern and Major.Periods 

…looking at my schedule I needed to be back at the home base by 15:00 and noticed a Major period that would take place from 10:00 – 12:30 … in 35 mins time I was on the spot making my first cast near the 10:00 mark. 

Lake conditions were favorable with glass calm seas, sunshine, cool temps and 52° surf temp at the launch. 

I immediately took up position to fan cast the bank in 0 to 2-0’ of water continuing with the “fish at the bank” pattern I had success with the past couple trips… the bite continued! 

I continued tagging the 90% plus Master Angler Rated B.Crappie with a few exceeding the 13” mark with a specimen at nearly 96%...and an occasion mid LMB and Midsized Lepomis mixed in. 

The action was at a methodical pace lasting throughout the Major.Period and ended quickly like a switch at the 12:10 mark. 

The popular methods for tagging were long-casting/.016 oz jigs/waxie or swim tails, short rods with 2# mono diameter super lines or less… Nanofil and Gliss. 

What ive learned from fishing seasons in the past concerning the cold water periods including ice… Is it is a nearly a complete waste of time fishing the lull periods in between major and minor periods. Ever been on a hot bite then all of a sudden the bite stops?... yes we all have been in that situation… chances are they are associated with  an ending Major or Minor Period. 

Was a successful trip for the books and I was back home an hour ahead of schedule! Timing… timing… timing.

...20180426-Lunker B.Crappie Long-Casting .016 oz Jigs/Waxie tight to the banks

...20180426-Mid-LMB attacking the panfish baits

...20180426-Chunky B.Crappie

...20181426-Nice B.Crappie

...20181426-Hybrid tight to the bank

...20180426-One of the best of the day

...20181426-Great fishing trip timing a Major.Period on a 61% Solunar Day

20180428-~~<")))))><(---*Cold-Water Period*--54°

2018428- cold front conditions... Thinking on walking to the bridge and tossing a couple

20180428-here is a great and simple tip to add considerable lifetime to plastic tails on collared barbed jig heads. Clip the tip section of the plastic bait approximately the length of the jig head itself off before inserting the plastic onto the hook. It saves splitting of the plastic since the section is now larger to accommodate the diameter of the collar and barb. This is where most failure starts where unclipped baits will start to split when the small tip is stretched over the collar.

Guaranteed you will be pleasantly surprised!

20180429-~~<")))))><(---*Cold-Water Period*--51°

20180429-Full moon today as we prepare to close out the month... but hey just over 10 days ago there was snow and ice on the ground making early April unfishable. Looking over my records the past few seasons i made on the avg a quick rebound and recovery for this april and still with a trip on the books for tomorrow.

20180429-Putting my guiding hat on tomorrow...

with a trip on the books with two guests on one of my early season favorite patterns for B.Crappie

a little prelude for the trip would entail fishing the upper cuts on one of my preferred BOWs long-casting/UL Jigs/swim baits… we will also try a little sip floating the rip rap and dirty water for the early b.gills

20180429-Long-cast tip and technique for distance and accuracy

20180430-~~<")))))><(---*Cold-Water Period*--52°

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"This year my old Rattle Traps have been catching again in the 3",1/2 oz, and 3,5",3/4oz…"
1 hour ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"The Rattle Traps over the windy flats have called Fish up and done well. 2 mid sized and two…"
yesterday
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far.  "
yesterday
yesterday
yesterday
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far. "
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Tracy."
yesterday
tracy willis commented on Troy Dorman's photo
yesterday
tracy willis commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"toad!!"
yesterday
dick tabbert posted a photo

Big rubber soider

Prototype of a big rubber spider 3x3" with a #4 2xl hook.
yesterday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

Vince with two nice ones

"Thanks, Jeff! Yes, he's soon to be 16!"
Wednesday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"Ah! That's the Mustache!"
Wednesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"This is the one I caught the perch on. Mushtache Minnow."
Wednesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"John, it's a mess but as soon as the mustache minnow gets wet it takes on the looks of a…"
Wednesday
John Sheehan commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Tuesday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Yeah, growing some Slab Perch there Dick! A mustache?"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Jeffrey."