Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

As I turn the last page of the “SLIP’S 2017 LOGS, STATUS AND STRATEGIES” log book on an astounding year of angling… I think back on the initial strategies and goals for the year. I wanted to tag at least (4) Trophy Master Angler Panfish and that would include one thru the ice which would be a PB using that method. I ended up with 2 trophy P.Seeds thru the ice with a PB at 9.8" as well as(13) total Master Anglers thru the rest of the open water season!

To accomplish this feat I would greatly scale down my presentations to micro lite equipment… rods, reels, lines and baits. Careful considerations of lines were incorporated into my methods which would not exceed 2# mono diameter…and super lines that would approach 8# test or above to handle the trophy quality of fishes sought.

I would also aim to make my time on the water more productive by timing the trips with solunar periods… majors and minors on New and Full Moons. I've discovered big fish follow the moon… period! 2017 proved that especially considering the hard water Ice Period. I was on the big fish spots on the peak periods and it paid off!... BIGly!!!

I think I coined a phrase “Fishing for the Numbers by the Numbers” by incorporating all methods and strategies to gain my odds on the water for numbers as well as numbers of trophies. By the end of the day and all the numbers were tallied for 2017 I broke many records for the Master Angler Program in at least 2 counties.

I’m hoping for an even better season for 2018 and success for the fishermen following BBG!

Ken

Views: 7435

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

here is tomorrow’s solunar intraday graph… a one-hour lunar shift later in time… I need to be on my game at 11:30 casting floats and jigs!

20181009-~~<")))))><(-*Post Summer*--94%/upr 50's

On my spot at 11:30 one nine inch Class hen in the boat

20181009- Hitting the Major.Major with Summer like Temps the day after the New Moon FAL (Fish Activity Level) @94%

What a great combination of good weather and good FAL! I was excited to get on the water. The combination of conditions was perfect except for the downed water levels at my favorite trophy Reservoir. Current water levels were down 4 to 6 feet for Dam repair this could work for me or against me. Concentrating fish seems to be a good thing so we'll see.

Once at the boat launch I did a careful review for safe launching conditions. The concrete slabs for the launch were out of alignment and there were 8 to 10 in drops from the top of the concrete slab to the lake bottom at the end of the slab. A bad scenario for trailer axles! One corner of the launch offered the safest entry into the water. It required a slight offset in the angle of launch of the boat for the safest entry.

Once the boat was launched I noticed another Angler setting up for and checking out the launch.

Striking up a conversation I pointed out the safest launch entry point and direction for him to Launch. By further discussion, he disclosed he was fishing for and targeting walleyes. He stated this was a lake he rarely fished but has done well in the past on walleyes and smallmouth bass. He continued talking while checking his phone that he was here to fish the major period and had only a couple hours to fish… my jaw was dropping a bit… then he stated he surprises many of his fishing buddies with his large quantities of walleye fishing the periods midday in the middle of summer… yep then the jaw hit the ground.

Literally hundreds of discussions thru the years with fishermen on the water and at the launch sites… including ice fishing…. Fishermen that just don’t get it don’t believe in it or ignore solunar strategy all together. Then there are some that believe there is a relationship with the full moon and fishing/hunting success/failure but may also be a coincidence in their experience. I have never met another fisherman that “got it”… fishing the intra-day solunar major and minor periods.

Once on the water and on my way to my first waypoint checking map depths to actual sonar readings revealed a drawdown in water level between 4 and five foot on avg. the water surface temp sitting at low 60’s.

My Rod bundle for the day included 3 long-cast micro jigging rods and 2 slip/float/spring cricket/waxie setups. I’ve been really excited about my spring cricket fly and jig pattern… lately it’s been causing some real excitement with the Lepomis including a Certificate fish the past month.

An Intra-Month New Moon Period @ 94% and timing the Major.Period Intraday becomes a Major.Major, an awesome timeframe to be in for fishing success.

Once settled onto the flat which was one time sitting steadily at 9-0’ and now 5-0’ I noticed the fish were slow in bite thinking they now have become widely scattered due to the reduced water levels.

I started some controlled drifts with wind and trolling motor and picked up the pace on the bite a bit. Most of the bites were long-casting/micro jigs/waxies… my go to method.

The fishing was still at a slower pace than normal for the period consideration.

I noticed some potential weather coming in with thunder in the far distance. Checking Accucast weather I noted a t’storm small in size and started working my way towards the bridge for some temporary cover.

The life of the t’storm was about 35 mins so I continued fishing under the bridge using the slip/float/spring cricket/waxie method putting some nice casts tight to the concrete.

In a short time frame I connected with a great fish along with a great fight on the Ultra light setup… right away I knew it was a good LMB by the battle and played it carefully with pressure keeping it away from the bottom rubble. I netted and visually sized it up I thought immediately it was a certificate fish… I quickly took a few snaps and stretched the massive LMB on the scale… at best I stretched the fish to 21.75 but it averaged 21.5… @ 21.75 my Personal Best! I quickly released the HAWG back into the water. WOW!!!

On my way back to the launch the walleye angler I spoke to earlier stopped me to show me his limit of walleyes and a nice N.Pike!

Another great day on the water folks!

>>20181009~ another LCD jigged hen at the deep weed edge.

>>20181009~ Impressed with the numbers of eaters with the 1/64 oz Spring Cricket

>>20181009~ an LCD jigged hen at the deep weed edge.

>>20181009~ an LCD jigged hen at the deep weed edge.

>>20181009~nice hen tagged long-casting the LCD Jig.

>>20181009-Dodging the Bullet

>>20181009~(*Personal Best) Beast Mode LMB on the slip/float/fly/waxie

>>

20181014-Solunar Intra-Month Chart for October

20181010-~~<")))))><(---*Post-Summer*--82%/61°

20181010-Successful day fishing... repeat the next day with the same pattern

Planning and checking the Solunar tables and Accucast forecast for today's trip I noticed weather coming in from the West with showers lasting 2 hours in a 4 Hour time frame. The showers would be light and at times drizzle. This rain shower time frame would take up some of the intra-day major. I was willing to take the chance and fish it out using my rain gear. No big deal.

I quickly launched and made it to my successful Waypoint in 20 minutes and I was making my first cast into a nice fish. ... mid 8 bluegills make me smile every time. The bite started off slow just like yesterday and was hoping for it to pick up during the remainder of the trip.

I proceeded to tag some nine inch class bluegills long casting the LCD jig fan casting large areas on the 6-foot Flats. Scanning the edge of the deep break found no fish on the sonar. I was presuming the fish were holding tight to the weed clump edges scattered along the flat. i continued picking them off.

While concentrating on controlled drifts through productive areas I noticed weather coming in from the West. The drizzle started settling in as predicted and I continued fishing. As the rain intensified so did the wind and the bite was lost. I aimed my back towards the weather and continued fishing... Minute by minute the rain intensified along with the Wind. Rain was leaking in under the hood of my rain gear due to the wind and I was getting soaked.

I started the outboard and headed towards the bridge. Under the shelter of the bridge I was able to use my cell phone and access AccuWeather and noticed that the duration and intensity of the rain showers changed for the worse. The showers were to continue until the following morning I picked up anchor and headed towards the launch!

Looking back at the data for the trip I needed to be on the lake on this major during the warm weather. 82% FAL day is definitely worth fishing especially with a extended cold front possibly pushing us into a cold water period coming in for the next couple weeks. Spent some time and got some quality tags in... Love the tug of a 9 inch plus B. Gill with the possibility of a trophy in the mix ... Will very rarely turn that opportunity down!

Researching the weather later I discovered Hurricane Michael traveled north on a path so quickly it drew heavy moisture from the gulf affecting our weather here to the north on the tundra. Overall I was elated to get some time in on the water during the New Moon Period.

>>20181010-Nice 9“ Class taking the LCD Jig Method

>>20181010-Nice B.Gill … good bye Post-Summer

>>20181010-Another Nice B.Gill… beautiful colors… LCD Jig Method

>>20181010-B.Gill showing mouthful of “Spring Cricketâ€

>>20181010-another 9†Class B.Gill showing some spectacular colors for the season!

>>20181010-One of the quality 9†class B.Gills of the trip on the Long-Cast/LCD Method

>>20181010-Short Trip with some quality fish

>>

20181019- ... just like that we are in the cold period... lows in the 20's in the short term forecast... need to winterize the boat. not looking forward to the transition period to ice... so much wasted time!

20181019-~~<")))))><(-*Cold Water Period*-42%/50°

20181019-Timing the Minor.Period for an eater slot SMB

It’s SMB season on the local reservoirs in my neighborhood. My home lake and favorite lake for the SMB is down 4-6’ in lake levels for dam repair etc. so I fish the next best located right in mid town. With some shore access, good methods and the correct timing I procured an eater slot SMB on the long cast/.062 oz jig/2.0 inch Apex Shad with a nice battle on the light tackle. Took some pics packed him in the cooler and finished my shopping for the rest of the dinner.

Life is Good!

20181019-went shopping for an eater slot SMB in town and got it!

20181025-~~<")))))><(-*Cold-Water*--91%/upr 40's

The game plan for this moon period and the choice of lake will be made at the end of the drive this morning. One lake is great for both species B.Crappie and B.Gill but is private and the trophy tag doesn’t  count towards the DNR data base. The other lake has some huge B.Crappie in it and I have tagged a few nudging the 14” mark while Earl tagged one in April at 15”

the DNR lake is a small reservoir with some projecting stump fields as well as some nice weed beds. Mainly shallow averaging 6-9’ with a creek channel that runs to near 30’ at the dam. The crappie look robust and fast growing the b.gill are numerous with some lunkers at the top of the chain. I haven't broke the 10” mark with the gill in this lake but got a few p.seeds over the 9” mark.

I have a blast long-casting the Lil Minnow as well as the LCD baits shallow and in between the many docks and boats during the summer periods. at this time of year, the docks and boats will be gone. interesting to see if the gills will be there.

There is a small shallow bay that holds many gills during the warmer periods. It would be nice to know if the gills are still there also during this fall coldwater period. That is why I'm leaning towards this lake as my selection. Why not? I'm already very familiar with the private lake and a trip there would surely be a success. I pick the challenge. Fail or succeed will greatly enhance the knowledge base for future planning.

The rod bundle for today will be my popular combination… (2) slip float and (3) long cast micro jig set-ups.

I would like to be on the lake by noon with the Major.Period starting at 12:55 and extending to 15:25.

I will be without my side scan imaging with the HOOK2. That unit would have been great for spotting random crappie schools on the flats. I hooked up the rusty old Elite 7HDI in its place just for this trip or until I get the new unit back from warranty service. All my waypoints were transferred to the unit.

I will be greeting mid to upper 40's for surface temps. clear sunny skies and mid 50's for air temps with mild winds.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
1 hour ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
20 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
23 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service