Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

The past few seasons it’s been season outdoing the last. Knowledge base on top of knowledge base. Building on some great info from this site and time on the water. I’m anticipating and looking forward to even better results with more citation fish. Anyway that’s the game plan.

Last year was the season of fishing TINY. Thin UL Lines loaded on tiny 50 series reels and light UL rods tossing tiny baits in front of fish targets…quantities of quality panfish and trophy SMB. Tossed the baits into thick cover with reckless abandon. Tiny presentations under slip bobbers thrown next to thick weed slop and weed pockets. Mid day fishing out of the kayak in less than two feet of water and tagging quality fish. Never really had another fishing boat come close to me fishing. it was like i had the lake to myself. looking forward to making some more good memories in the upcoming season.

Looking forward to any hints suggestions or comments from the BBG membership… sharing is the best way to learn and progress!

hope everyone a successful "2016 Open Water Season"

Views: 1765

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

visited Cooke Dam Pond yesterday w/family.... no fishing rods!!

some beautiful water!... i need to fish this someday

Wow. Kayak or boat, this is prime for some major fishing. So much tree overhanging areas. This is drowning victim centrals that the fishes love to feast upon.

this area was popular during the big logging days... water is very clear and so much wood in the water.

yes... a kaykers paradise. all state land with rustic camping ... even on the islands

20160803- ...----~~<")))))><(----------------------------

20160805- ...----~~<")))))><(----------------------------

20160805—set out fishing in the mid afternoon near the temp peek for the day. When fishermen are usually coming in from the morning bite it seems like im heading out… and looking back historically have done pretty good. This afternoon seemed like many others. I feel the fish are tighter to cover or concentrated along the deep edges so numbers of fish are tagged as well as quality once they are found.

Started out fishing the slip/float/fly/waxie close to weed pockets and edges… nothing… then the straggler fish started trickling in. I found my best activity in the deeper holes along the rip/rap and pillar foundations of the road bed with the 1/32 oz Power minnow. I just could feel the bite wasn’t there.

Picked up a few random small b.gills along the pads. They could tell I was begging for the bite.

The jigs started producing a bit more but I sensed the fish concentrations weren’t there. I tagged a few nice b.crappie and a jumbo rock bass scratching the bottom.

I left the lake feeling unacomomplished… I just couldn’t figure out the pattern location for the fish. that’s what makes fishing… fishing. It’s the game you vs fish. today the fish won one.

Nice rockie

20160805-- BFOTD!! 10"CLASS ROCKIE

Some of todays catches…CPR’ed of course.

20160805-TOUGH MID-AFTERNOON OUTING... no gills over 7.5"

20160806- ...----~~<")))))><(----------------------------

20160806—still feeling beat up from the other days whipping out on the lake I set out further up lake… shallower weedier with many laydowns and wood jams extending out from shore to the deeper areas of the lake section… the original river channel as it comes close to the bank.

On the way to these destinations I tested areas and found no bites with the slip/float/fly/waxie.

b.gills are now confusing me!…

while trying to securely anchor next to one of my favorite laydowns the wind started kicking up and from different directions… north then south… a boat control nightmare when position fishing. In between jockeying for position next to the laydowns I found b.gills and b.crappie hitting the swim jig and power minnow…. Quality and in numbers. Average size well above last year’s stats… product of years of CPR?... id like to think so.

As the afternoon I continued tagging fish in increasing numbers as I move from structure to structure.

While fishing one area of wood and weeds...wondering if I could tweek a set-up to tag more b.gills then crappies. Currently I was tagging b.crappies as well as the gills on the swim jigs. I also noticed when the flipped jig hit the bottom I would tag a gill occasionally. I reached into the jig box and tied on an micro tungsten ice fishing jig and tipped with a cut segment of gulp waxie and started hitting the gills more consistently vertical jigging the openings in the laydown maze.

After reviewing yesterday and today’s experiences, successes and failures… it came down to this… fish where the fish are… just like in real estate… location, location, location. Trust your proven and productive techniques but fish where the fish are.

Nice b.gill

20160806--NICE MID 8'S B.GILL

Another

20160806--NICE MID 8'S B.GILL

Nice B.Crappie 13” class

20160806-- BFOTD!! 13" B.CRAPPIE

Love when this happens… lol

20160806-B.CRAPPIE OVERHANGING THE 12" BOARD

A segment of todays catches… all CPR’ed… a few of these fish should hit the Master Angler mark by next year!

20160806-FOUND THE FISH!!

20160807- ...----~~<")))))><(---------------------------

Big uptick in fish activity coming up... I'd like to be a part of it

an extraordinary afternoon of fishing!... one of my personal best trips!

followed the curve of activity to the minute!

20160807—using the App “Fishing Points for Android” I timed a lunar period of some good extended fishing showing on the curve. Ive been using solunar tables for years and have timed some lunker and trophy tags with the strategy.

Heres yesterdays table showing the curve and the success ive had on the lake. It was an amazing trip!!

Just like the previous day… the B.Gills B.Crappie were hitting the soft plastic swim jigs 1.5-2.0” long.

Fishing over log piles, laydowns and weedlines all produced some fine fish.

Slip/floats produced 0 fish and 0 hits even when fish were located with jigs… I found that really odd.

Most fish were fat and feeding heavily.

By the end of the day I came close to completing a panfish Master Angler cycle in one afternoon! B.gill, R.Bass, Y.Perch and P.Seed all within 90% (Master Angler Ratio or Rating). 90% is big any state. I was pretty excited about that.

Most of the fish came on 1/32 oz swim jigs in relation to heavy cover. The b.gill was vertically jigged in the logs and required some extra effert to tag. The fish wound around some branches and logs and took some time to and patience to unwind him. The Power Pro braid at 4# test held its ground and performed flawlessly without a scuff… amazing stuff. I believe 4# mono would have indeed failed in this situation.

jig bodies were glued to the jigs before hand the day before... without glue they really went through the jig bodies! what a big difference this one little tweak makes!!

The vertical jig could be viewd in the composite fish catch collage.

Near Master Angler Panfish Cycle:

20160807—BFOTD!! BEST FISHES OF THE DAY--NEARLY MASTER ANGLER PANFISH CYCLE!

Some of the fish tagged (CPR’ed) today!

20160807-VERY PRODUCTIVE PANFISH TRIP

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz

"Beauties Troy!"
yesterday
Troy Dorman posted a photo
Sunday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz shellcracker

"Great cracker daily double! Congrats Troy….."
Sunday
dick tabbert commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Saturday
Troy Dorman posted a photo
Friday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"This year my old Rattle Traps have been catching again in the 3",1/2 oz, and 3,5",3/4oz…"
Friday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"The Rattle Traps over the windy flats have called Fish up and done well. 2 mid sized and two…"
Thursday
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far.  "
Thursday
Thursday
Thursday
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far. "
Thursday
John Sheehan posted photos
Thursday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Tracy."
Thursday
tracy willis commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Wednesday
tracy willis commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"toad!!"
Wednesday
dick tabbert posted a photo

Big rubber soider

Prototype of a big rubber spider 3x3" with a #4 2xl hook.
Wednesday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

Vince with two nice ones

"Thanks, Jeff! Yes, he's soon to be 16!"
Apr 16
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"Ah! That's the Mustache!"
Apr 16
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"This is the one I caught the perch on. Mushtache Minnow."
Apr 16
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"John, it's a mess but as soon as the mustache minnow gets wet it takes on the looks of a…"
Apr 16

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service