Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Slip’s 2015 LOGS, STATUS AND STRATEGIES… 2ND HALF EDITION

... postings concerning the second half season of fishing 2015

Views: 10698

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

way to go slip stinker!!  a 18 inch bass ;; save a blue gill;; eat a bass!!  LOL!!

Gosh... i had to have been a teenager the last time i ate Bass... ive been catch and release since i was 13 ... lol

slip stinker;; you need to come to one of our rendevous!!!    fish fry;; joke telling;; fish stories;; you name it !!  we might even get around to some fishing to !  LOL     then you will know why;; we cant wait till the next rendevou !!!  you can even bring your kayak if you want to !

i wish i could travel like i used to before i hurt my back and neck. when you guys bring it up to Houghton Lake i could very well be all over it. but thank you for your thoughts and invite.

20150908- ...------<")))))><(

20150908- ive been dealing with a lot of arm pain lately that has seriously curbed my fishing time on the water. This year ive really scaled it down with the fish equipment … basically fishing just UL rigs for panfish … very little pred fishing with heavier equipment. Ive noticed lately longer periods of time with the longer UL rods jigging has caused this inflammation to shorten my trips than fishing with the toy rods. So with that in mind I put together a rig with a rod I picked up from a lot of fishing equipment we bought earlier this summer from a garage sale. After sorting thru some of the junk and keeping the good stuff I remembered a particular Eagle Claw fish Skins rod that was extremely light. I took that rod which seemed just a couple ozs lighter than my current Spinmatic 5-6 fter and did a swap. Tested this rig out at the walk too fishing spot and hit a couple mid sized crappies straight away. Sensitivity seemed good for just an IM-6 graphite composition blank, “Fun Factor” rated favorably with me and most importantly the combination seemed ozs lighter. Hopefully ill be able to jig longer in my outings.

20150908-WIXOM LAKE- PAIN IN THE NECK,ARM KEEPING ME MOSTLY ON THE SIDELINES

20150909- ...------<")))))><(

out here now begging for a strike

20150909- Fish Pattern of the Day-Shallow water, wood and slop

you could tell from the start of the morning it was going to be a beautiful day…. No wind and a hazy sunny sky. I love days like that especially fishing from a kayak. Wind is the enemy. Lol. I thought I would take advantage a and get a trip in early for a change.  For the past few years I got into a pattern of mid afternoon or p.m. bite to dusk as a fishing game plan and consistently have done well. Fisherman at the docks coming in from the morning fishing and im headed out. Fisherman historically likes the cloudy dreary days and I’m planning the outing for a bright hot sunny day. Against the grain.

Yesterday I planned on doing something different… going out in the mid morning late morning bite. I launched the kayak and hit my new hotspots. Once there I could not beg for a bite. I pretty much settled on drifting slowly and studying the bottom contours with the sounder when I got my first hit with the slip float and waxie. I like casting the slip float pkg in situations like this because it is accurate. Fixed float casting cartwheels and wobbles thru the cast and accuracy is lost.Fish on! It felt like a brute of a B’Gill and the fight fell short when I was trying to pull it from the dense weeds. The fish came from an accurate cast next to a lay down in about 1-6 FOW. The casts are made to small open areas or pockets in the vegetation, shore or wood. A successive cast to the same spot produced a fat 8.4” or 8” class B’Gill that tried to bull its way into the weeds but luckily this one pulled thru. CPR’ed and quickly released. Felt like the bite was kicking in.

Then it happened… a few cast later I made pinpoint casts into a slop are filled with wood and weed canopy next to the bank. The bobber took only a second before it disappeared. Setting the hook sent a freight train to deeper water. Here we go I thought!. It happens quite often catching a big pred on the small UL float setups. Fish in fishy water and its only a matter of time. The fight stayed deep and it felt like a largemouth from the very hookset. The inside weed edge was light and clumpy and the fish made every effert to tie me up. Luckily the 6# braid sliced thru and I was able to land after one last acrobatic leap. Indeed it was a fine stocky LMB over the 20” mark. Put an instant smile on my face.

After that battle I decided to let the spot cool down and moved to adjacent spots with the thought of coming back and picking up some more targets. That never happened. It was mid afternoon and sunny and my bite was turning red hot. Many casts were made into the slop pockets and edges and many targets were brought to vessel. I was in my comfort zone. The day ended with many midsized crappies caught in larger confined open water areas… inside turns producing the best in numbers.

The day ended with a nice sunset over a calm lake … I love September… and my sunny mid afternoon bite!

20150909-Wixom Lake -~ Prolific Mixed Bag

Lunker LMB on the UL slip float and Berkley Gulp Pink Waxie...

20150909 - BFOTD 93% MAR LargeMouth Bass

First and best Gillage of the day

20150909_154006 8.4" Hen First and Best B'Gill of the Day

some good slop...

20150909- Add a Little Diversity To Your Fishing!

I added this photo for (3) reasons:

I thought it was a cool take… different than what I normally do… holding a fish up by the grips… works but add some diversity!

Learned how to make the fish sit still for the photo… its pretty easy when you think about it… one good flick with the 2nd finger between the eyes leaves em stunned and quivering while you take the picture… release them into the water afterwards and they usually float on top for awhile then when they come to they take off in a zip!..... NOT!!! …. JK!!!! This pose is tough to do!! I practiced on the little fish first being careful not to drop. Present subject was around 7.5” A drop could be deadly to any fish. To me these fish and every fish is a valuable resource and I treat them as such.

Thirdly it is a reminder to myself to quit just fishing the areas that are easy to do… learn to fish some tough spots. Behind me and to the left is .9miles of undeveloped shoreline loaded with wood, laydowns and weed slop nobody fishes. Explore Ken explore!!

20150909_(3) Reasons for this Photo...

20150910- Fishing the Skinny Water Structure (Slop,Wood, Laydowns, Weed Canopies and Shoreline

fishing the thick weeds and slop is a pattern that worked for me all summer long out of the yak

20150909_FISHING THE THICK STUFF (Leo calls it salad lol)

20150910- ...------<")))))><(

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

Several Predators Including Dirt Shallow Chain…..6/1/2024

"The big ones are deeper up here Jeff, but the smaller ones are still on the 8' weed…"
37 minutes ago
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
14 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a status
"Got out early this morning ahead of the building southwest wind, I’m happy because our water will be back in the next few days….."
14 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

"Get em John…..I couldn’t believe this chain pickerel was in a foot of…"
14 hours ago
Thumbnail

Summertime Seafood Feast Coastal North Carolina……6/1/2024

"Thanks John….I overdid it for just two people 😂"
14 hours ago
Thumbnail

"Got my first bite off last Tuesday. Time to get out the wire leaders with the higher temps and…"
19 hours ago
19 hours ago
Thumbnail

"Thanks Bruce…it was very tasty…..typically I’ll just one one of these items for…"
yesterday
Bruce Tomaselli commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a photo

All three staples are locally harvested…..channel cat..white shrimp from the Pamlico Sound and soft…
yesterday
yesterday
yesterday
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a status
"Three old fronts this week also cooled the bluegill bite down…..lost a foot of water and almost 8 degrees off the surface temp…"
yesterday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

"💯...Spot on, Jeff!!"
Friday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

"Nice egg layer…..distinct orange ear tab…."
Thursday
Thumbnail

"Why is fishing addictive? Because you have a chance to catch fish like these….thanks for…"
Thursday
Thumbnail

"Monster in spawning colors…..really nice…..congrats on a good day and a great season…"
Thursday
Troy Dorman posted photos
Thursday
Wednesday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service