Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

I was wondering if there was a thread on here, where it shows different species of panfish and their sub species. Hopefully, with pics? I thought I knew alot about panfish, until I got on here. Sometimes, someone talks about a sub species, and I have no idea what it looks like.....Thanks Dwayne

Views: 1165

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The reason I ask this, is at one of my favorite lakes the other day. My son and I caught some gills that where real deep purple in color. Are these coppernose?
Jeff, looks almost like this
Attachments:
Dwayne-  Could you put up a photo to show us?  I have caught both "Northern" and "Coppernose"  Bluegills that have a purplish hue to them, and I have caught Coppernose that are very dark, almost black that have a purple cast too, so it's hard to tell without seeing a photo of your fish.  I know of three sub-species of Bluegill, but there are crossbreed hybrids also, so there can be just a bunch of color variants.

Jeff,

I did not get a photo. I will try and fish lake again next week, and hopefully get pic. I have never seen a fish of this color, ther before. They were real dark, with deep purple and black looking stripes. Maybe a new strain put in, because they were all small. I have seen pics before on web, I will check and see if I can find one.........thanks Dwayne

Dwayne-  That dark Bluegill is a Florida coppernose.  You can see the slight coppery-bronze patch above it's eyes, (don't know why they call them coppernose and not copperheads, guess they would get mixed up with the dangerous snake) and also the light markings on the lower jaw/mouth area has more of a beige/tan color where as the "Northern" Bluegills these markings are light blue.  It also seems to me that the northern fish have double vertical stripes on their sides, where the coppernose have single stripes or bars.  Our Florida coppernose Bluegill we have here in Southern California also have beautifully cream-colored fin tips.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan posted photos
Friday
Bruce Tomaselli commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Friday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a photo

We’re in The Middle of the North Carolina Blue Crab/Brown Shrimp Season…..6/13/2024

This is a great time for culinary seafood in coastal North Carolina……the markets and restaurants…
Thursday

Great Products for UV Protection…..6/13/2024

I love the newest technology of clothing available….lightweight and breathable but offering max…
Thursday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
Thursday
Thursday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a status
"Got out a little while,hot and windy today…..ran out of crickets in a creek drainage. Water falling with forage items moving…fun in the heat"
Thursday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"JUNE SPOONS"
Wednesday
John Sheehan posted photos
Wednesday
Tuesday
Jun 10
Jun 10
Jun 10
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a status
"We had a great weather weekend and the fish got the memo……"
Jun 10
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

Dinner Was Great Tonight…….6/8/2024

"Thanks John….a lot like cooking fish, the fresher the better……all of these…"
Jun 10
John Sheehan commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Jun 9
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

"These are clean and ready to cook!"
Jun 8

Fresh “Whale” soft shell crabs fried in corn flour and peanut oil, paired with some creamy grits……
Jun 8
Jun 8
Jun 8

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service