Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

i am always hearing about how people love using grass shrimp. I live down south and was wandering if they r down here. Also how would i catch them?

Views: 648

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I googled 'em a few weeks ago. Still don't know nothin'. I finally decided I'd just ask somebody. You beat me to it. I'll wait right here for the info.

Boogieman
Recent Pond Boss thread on shrimp - http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Numb...

I believe the best way to catch them is with a net or seine.

Pretty cool picture of a PK shrimp attached.
Attachments:
Glass shrimp are sold at walmart and a bunch of other pet stores. They usually run close to 10c a pc. Bout the average for fat heads from you local bait store. I know a ton of folks catch these things down around the bay in the grass flats with a sain net or a bait net that has the same mesh as something like a pool net. They say there great for bluegill. I will stick with crickets. There cheaper and easier to get. I know boogieman will agree with that! I think What your lookin for is seed shrimp boogie man. Thats what I hear all the old folks talk about.
Has anybody tried  these grass shrimp? Did you like them?

Used to fish with grass shrimp years ago when the local bait shop kept them in stock.  No one in my area has them any more.  They were more effective a bait than anything else we fished including red worms.  I now order wax worms on line to use and find them effective and cleaner to use than red worms but not as easy to keep alive for long periods.

I have begun to raise wax worms for bait and was pretty successful with it.  I lost my last colony due to mold but just started three new colonies.

John

RSS

Latest Activity

Allen Morgan commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
4 hours ago
Allen Morgan replied to Slip Sinker's discussion PanFish FinAddicts...Officially launching my You-Tube channel
"My ice season is done, unless I make a big drive north.  With the price of gas skyrocketing…"
4 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a photo

My Mother Is Getting Good At This.......3/24/2019

Mom holds my big largemouth today for a nice picture......we have crossed paths with some nigguns…
18 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

Crossed Paths With a Big Largemouth This Afternoon.....3/24/2019

"Thanks Slip......it was exciting.......Mom in the boat was extra special......she caught her big…"
18 hours ago
Slip Sinker commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
19 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
20 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a status
"My mom and I got out for a few hours this afternoon.....some great crappie and I took a 7.5 pound largemouth on shallow cover on telescopic"
20 hours ago
dick tabbert commented on LedHed's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0757

"Decent hen."
22 hours ago
Thumbnail

IMG_0753

"Nice copper sonny."
22 hours ago
Thumbnail

IMG_0769

"I'm starting to get ready too."
22 hours ago
LedHed posted photos
yesterday
Slip Sinker replied to Slip Sinker's discussion PanFish FinAddicts...Officially launching my You-Tube channel
"Count Down to Last Ice... Trophy Blue Gill Pursuit 20190309-I decide to fish a local lake but keep…"
yesterday
Slip Sinker replied to Slip Sinker's discussion PanFish FinAddicts...Officially launching my You-Tube channel
"Count Down to Last Ice... Trophy Blue Gill Pursuit 20190309-I decide to fish a local lake but keep…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

Black Crappie Daily Double.......Male and Female

"Thanks Adam.......Spring crappie fishing is exciting..........the fast pace is a lot of fun!"
yesterday
Thumbnail

Nice Flier Daily Double From the Weekend.......

"Thanks Adam........we have been enjoying great flier fishing the last year and a half........the…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

Mom Strikes It Big With A Solid Largemouth.....

"Thanks Adam.......my mom was very happy with her catch.........it's been a while for…"
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on LedHed's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0727

"Nice fish and great pictures.......we're glad you're back to fishing!"
yesterday
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on Jeff Soto's photo
Thumbnail

LP BG 3-21-19

"Congrats to ya Jeff, GREAT PIC BY THE WAY ALSO........"
Saturday
Adam Rink commented on Adam Rink's photo