I just got back from Wisconsin. Brought back 50 Bluegills on ice. Fillet them as soon as I got unloaded. As I was cleaning them, I notice some small black specks in the flesh. Are these some kind of parasite? And are the fillets safe to eat?? I never saw anything like this before. I appreciate any info. Thanks in advance!
yeah, I have seen that on some of the fish I catch here in MN too. its a parasie, but it is harmless to humans. Cooking the fish kills the parasite anyway, so unless you are planning on a little bluegill sushi, you will be fine. It doesnt effect the taste in anyway.